starting strength gym
Page 62 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Walter's Competition Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It is pretty much what I expected. I had a pull in the ham but it was relatively small. There is soreness and the muscles are firm and tender to touch but not much visible bleeding. A little bit of a limp but fairly good range of motion.

Spending a lot of time mulling over this new development and have not come to any conclusions as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    It is pretty much what I expected. I had a pull in the ham but it was relatively small. There is soreness and the muscles are firm and tender to touch but not much visible bleeding. A little bit of a limp but fairly good range of motion.

Spending a lot of time mulling over this new development and have not come to any conclusions as of yet.
    Heal up Walter you'll be fine. I've had ham injuries over the years. I try to work through them doing ver light good mornings and sldl.
    Hope it's a short recovery.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the words of encouragement. I'm getting in a better place on this for a few reasons. First, it really is a rather small pull. I never got any visible bruising although the area was turgid and sore. Limp is already gone and flesh is getting softer. Air squats don't bother it.

Second, and maybe more important, Jordan and I are working on a plan to go forward with some supplemental exercises to build fatigue tolerance in the hamstrings. Also, going to try some pull variants to put a little less strain on the hams during training sets but still pull conventional occasionally and definitely in competition.

Also, as update, will be doing more conditioning and walking in upcoming months to prepare for a hiking trip in December at elevation. Along the way, probably going to cut down to around 215 and see if I can get in the 11-12% body fat range.

Seems like my training has been completely disrupted but have to remember that I squatted 405 last week and pulled 465 so can't be too bad. Thanks again for the mental boost guys. I'm down from the ledge.

Monday, 24 August 2015

C-BP - 295x1, 275x3, 265x3, 255x3
    Cable Rows - 135x3x12
    TKE's - 3x15
    HLR's - 3x12

Tuesday, 25 August 2015

SQ - BWx10, 45x10, 135x5
    Wide grip BP - 225x3x4
    TKE's - 3x15
    Planks - 3x45s
    Hammer Curls - 30'sx3x10
    Triceps Pushdown- 75x3x15

Just wanted to work through range of motion with a little weight on the bar for the SQ's. Hamstring felt fine. The wide grip BP's make me realize how triceps dominant my bench is right now. These were not easy. Was going to do some BB curls but left wrist is real sore. Got a motorcycle a week or so ago and have ridden more in last week than in the past 25 years. I think I have clutch wrist.

Things looks good. Reminds me I need to work TKE's back in. be careful on the organ donor scooter.

Weds., 26 August 2015

Cardio - 60 min. walk
    TKE - 3x15
    HLR - 3x12
    Prowler walks - 90 lbsx5x100' (peak heart rates - 127, 127, 131, 131, 131)

Even though these feel somewhat hard, I'm not getting close to max heart rate which is around 170. Resting heart rate in mornings is around 58-62. So, this is good work, but I can push it more. Also, have started routine of early dawn walk at brisk pace in hiking boots for 60-80 minutes each morning since Sunday and will continue this practice.

Got a motorcycle a week or so ago and have ridden more in last week than in the past 25 years. I think I have clutch wrist.
    My wrists will bother me when I'm doing a lot of city riding (stop 'n go) and I'm not squeezing the tank with my knees during braking to prevent loading my hands, wrists. This is more important with a sport bike than with a cruiser.

Some decent riding around Lexington. Nothing but flat and straight here around Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by keeptryn View Post
    My wrists will bother me when I'm doing a lot of city riding (stop 'n go) and I'm not squeezing the tank with my knees during braking to prevent loading my hands, wrists. This is more important with a sport bike than with a cruiser.

Some decent riding around Lexington. Nothing but flat and straight here around Chicago.
    Good points on loading the wrists during decel. Yes, I'm lucky here. In five minutes from my driveway I can be on a country road with rolling hills and horse farms. Great weather this week to ride down here - mid-70's. I would have had no interest in having a bike when I lived in Chicagoland.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    ..be careful on the organ donor scooter.
    No doubt they can be dangerous. Have to be ultra defensive driver and wear right gear. My goal is to not hurt myself.

Page 62 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast