starting strength gym
Page 72 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: Walter's Competition Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tuesday, 15 December 2015

C-SQ - 420x1, 440x1, 450x1, 405x3

Encouraging day today. The heavy singles were in competition wraps and all moved really quick. A bit high on the 450 but nothing I cannot fix on next Weds. Still hate the feel of power wraps but no doubt they add pounds to the bar. Since I'm trying to simulate competitions that I compete in, I will wear them for mock meet. The triple at 405 was back in my Klokov wraps and that was encouraging too.

440 - https://youtu.be/OUWnfha3Wh4
    450 - https://youtu.be/FHe6smgu9PI

Planned on pulling today, even though I pulled heavy on Saturday. But, trying to give space to recover by next Weds. However, it was a moot point as my left thumb is killing me today. It is either time on the motorcycle, the heavy BP's and volume I've been doing, or pulling my 445x3x3 with straps and the straps applying to much pressure to the thumb joint. Or, it is some combination of all of that..

Thursday, 17 December 2015

Pin SQ - 315x3x5

Had my last trip of the year with quick overnight to Dallas but got off plane with cramping back so wasn't sure what I would get in at gym. But, crushed these pin squats - which I continue to really like as accessory. Left thumb is still bothering me so nothing else but soaking in ice water. Hope to be able to do some DL and BP accessory work on Friday.

Tuesday, 22 December 2015

C-SQ - 450x1, 460x1, 470x1 (PR), 480x1 (PR)
    DL - 495x1, 505x1 (PR), 515x1 (PR)

Wow, what a way to end the year! Two 15 lb. PR's after some very uneven training this year. Was not able to BP because of a thumb problem. Cannot believe the SQ today. 480 with good depth and probably another 5-10 lbs. out there for the grabs but wanted to save something for the DL. Just really superstoked about today.

SQ 480x1 - https://youtu.be/ei1wiRXM_jk
    DL - 515x1 - https://youtu.be/P2YrKkpcTns

Very nice! Both PRs looked great. Congrats.

Great job Walter. Excellent way to end the year.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Wowsa...squat looked like a warmup. Deadlift was pretty too.

Great job!

Congrats on the prs! Looked real good

Still stoked about yesterday. Time for year-end review and thoughts about upcoming year. Here is where I've been..

Nov 2012 / Feb 2014 / Now

SQ 345 / 440 / 480
    BP 215 / 300 / 330
    DL 410 / 450 / 515

This year could have been much better but I just had a hard time getting a good and consistent run. The grade 2 hamstring pull back in March was the only major injury but had lots of small issues that, coupled with 121 nights on the road, just kept getting in the way. In fact, it was very frustrating to work hard, eat right, take my supplements and not be able to express it on the platform That is why yesterday was sorely needed.

Haven't really set goals for this coming year. I do feel that there is only a small increment for improvement over my current lifts but I'm certain I will do a meet sometime in 2016. But, to start the year, I will not be doing much lifting for the first five weeks of 2016 due to some travel. Plus, it will be nice to take a break after over 3 years of serious work at the powerlifts. During this time, I will be working on leaning out and doing some conditioning.

I've got an epic trip to South America coming up. Taking my daughter to Panama and Colombia and then she is headed home. I then go to Peru and doing the four day Machu Picchu hike. After that, meeting a buddy in Ecuador and doing a 7 day motorcycle tour of the country. Really should be the proverbial trip of a lifetime and I need to get some miles under my feet in prep of the hiking at altitude.

Once I get into mid-February, I will come back to serious training with the idea of 1,350 powerlifting total in late summer. That's where my head is at for the time being. I hope you all have a great Christmas and will look forward to hearing your goals for the upcoming year.

Have fun in Ecuador. That sounds like some exciting travel plans. My parents started their retirement in Quito.

starting strength coach development program
    Walter, first thanks for stopping by my log and your kind words.
    second, great progress especially the bench, 115lb increase is crazy good.

enjoy your time with your daughter creating some great memories.

Page 72 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast