Page 82 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Walter's Competition Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Sunday, 1 May 2016

DL - 455x1, 385x3x3

Heavy single was RPE 8 and the triples were probably just shy of the RPE 9 target. Making progress. More importantly, my Dad celebrated his 78th birthday by pulling a new PR of 320 lbs. at bodyweight of 165 lbs. - Dad - Deadlift PR of 320 lbs. - YouTube
    god damn that is awesome. what a way to celebrate a birthday. if i was there I would give your dad a big hug. My inspiration. damn.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Sunday, 1 May 2016

DL - 455x1, 385x3x3

Heavy single was RPE 8 and the triples were probably just shy of the RPE 9 target. Making progress. More importantly, my Dad celebrated his 78th birthday by pulling a new PR of 320 lbs. at bodyweight of 165 lbs. - Dad - Deadlift PR of 320 lbs. - YouTube

Looks like you're coming back nicely, Walter! And well done to both of you! I hope I can still pull three plates at 78. Hell, I hope I can still be living at 78.

Thanks, guys. He doesn't like to admit it, but I think my Dad likes the accolades.

Friday, 6 May 2016

SQ - 355x1, 375x1, 385x1, 355x2x3

Everything progressing here.

Saturday, 7 May 2016

DL - warm-up to 405x1, shutdown

Went to today's workout thinking I might pull 465x1, 475x1, 405x2x3 but shut it down early. In general, went into it feeling sore and then felt something in my right hamstring on two of the pulls. Don't know how to describe it and it was nothing acute. But, I'm cautious on this point these days and stopped the work. Probably would have been fine but I did not feel I was going to come close to the planned work anyway.

I think I have a few things in play. While my strength is coming back, I'm not recovering enough to handle this intensity. I think there are several factors at play here. First, I've missed so many workouts that I don't have the overall work capacity built back up. Second, I'm not eating enough protein. Third, I'm not getting enough sleep. I've been getting more like 6:30 a night versus the 8 to 8.5 that I need to when in heavy training.

Those factors together mean I'm not recovering well enough. So, I know what I need to do but will have limited opportunity with upcoming trip to Europe. I think I'm going to focus on some mobility and stretching and see if I can get my arms and some of my niggling little injuries sorted out and try to come back on June 1st ready to go.

Saturday, 4 June 2016

DL - 405x1, 405x1
    Chins - 3x5

Back in gym for first time in forever, it seems. Had a great trip to Eastern Europe and did lots of walking, but no strength. Have not eaten enough protein for four weeks. About same weight but have lost lots of muscle mass. Have lots going on personally and in a funk so doing anything today was an accomplishment. Now on a plane for a business trip to Seattle (going to mess with body clock again.)

I'll get over this phase. Now looks like late July before I'm going to have a good run at training and will have to do a lot to work back up, but this is life.

Wednesday, 13 July 2016

On a plane somewhere over the Atlantic returning from a week in Europe with the family and trying to catch up on logs. I haven't trained - other than hiking - in about two months. Probably the most detrained I have been in over 12 years. I'm actually home (mostly) for the weeks heading up to SSCA and will reset and do some LP up to that time and I'm sure it is going to suck.

But, I have certainly given my body a nice break and I've had some stellar trips. Lucky to go hiking with my Dad in the Northwest, take family to Europe, get to the lake a couple of times with family, kick-ass trip in Eastern Europe, and lots of good business trips.

So, my comeback starts this coming few days.

Thursday, 14 July 2016

BP - 205x3x5, 185x2x5
    PR - 85x3x5
    Chins - BWx3x4

Day one of comeback. No heckling. Well, except for Karl. I made fun of his deadlift last year, so he has rights. Hope I respond like he did. In fact, maybe I should try and take credit for his progress?

Friday, 15 July 2016

SQ - 225x5x5
    Cable rows - 135x3x10

Have golf match in morning and suspect I will have significant soreness so great opportunity for my opponent. Started diet discipline and sleep discipline yesterday, as well. Hope to make some progress by SSCA.

starting strength coach development program
    Glad to see you back and logging, Walter! Sounds like your break from training was well-spent.

Page 82 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast