starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Likes It Raw

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    If your goals are to compete in powerlifting and lift heavy weights, it is not advantageous to use a belt and shoes.
    Am I reading this right? It sounds like you're saying a belt and shoes will harm lifting progress.

I'd say my goal is simply to be active and strong. A few years ago when I was new to lifting and just realizing that I loved it, I did not even care about a "one rep max." I wanted to progress in the amount of weight lifted, but in my mind, it didn't even count to me unless I could get it for at least two reps. I discovered what powerlifting was some time later, and it gave me something to do with my strength; it gave me something to train for with strength as the main focus (as opposed to aesthetics, as in bodybuilding/figure competitions, which I'm not interested in participating in). Part of me will always be enamored with the "old school, nothing added" type of lifting with only food, water and sleep aiding the lift, just because it's the most impressive to me. And I'm stubborn. But at the same time it's totally possible that I'll wake up one day and think "f*ck it!" and decide to slap on a belt just to see what I can do with that. So that's basically the 2am post-kitchen shift+beer version of my POV. I hope it doesn't offend any other lifters, because I watch and admire lifters of all styles. And I will definitely be giving the other SS titles a read in the near future. I really appreciate all the insight and advice! Thank you all for your comments and support, it means a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Linds View Post
    I hope it doesn't offend any other lifters, because I watch and admire lifters of all styles.
    Of course it offends us! Take your deep squats and your awesome chins and get out.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    When I was a recreational cyclist, I had the same approach.
    You too.

The first thing I thought when I saw your squat vid was "Good Lord, I wonder what she'd squat if she cut her depth, put on some decent shoes and threw on a belt!" And I almost decided to quit checking your log after the chin-up vid. Fragile male ego, hehe...

The interest in your lifting accessories is probably due to curiosity about your potential. Impressive, any way you look at it. Belt or no belt, just keep up the good work.

Thanks again for the support everyone!

Here is this week's training:

Tuesday, 5/20/14

Press 90x4x4 (cleaned to the shoulder + push press x1 @ start of each set)
    Chins BWx10x3

I gave up my chance at squatting because I didn't want to ask to work in with the guy who was using the rack for nearly the entire time I was there. Meh.

Thursday, 5/22/14

Squat 250x2x3, 205x8
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TVDrXuN...ature=youtu.be
    Paused Bench 135x5, 140x5x2
    Deadlift 280x2x3, 225x6
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Npb1k6iQmsE
    Pull-ups (palms-facing grip) BWx8x3

Saturday, 5/24/14

Press 90x5x3
    Squat 240x5, 240x4x2
    Pull-ups (close grip) BWx8x3

I had to drag myself to the gym today because I went after work, then I got in there and felt the strongest I've felt all week. And I'd hardly even eaten thoughout the day. Weird.
    Squat doubles felt pretty heavy this week, and the bar is still swaying a little on deadlift. Not much else to report on workout wise. I've been leaning my phone against a dumbbell to film which has been working fine. I may try setting the dumbbell on top of a box for a better angle, and to film some bench. I've also been reading up on meet preparation tips, because I'm officially three weeks out!

Bump

@LeonidasfromSparta Lol! Thanks!

I see I've made it a habit to disappear from the forums when meet time comes around. I did compete on June 14 and actually took first place in the 165 lb. weight class with a 744 lb. total! I forget what my Wilks score was but I came in fourth overall women based on those ratings. Here is some footage from the competition:
    http://youtu.be/PQgcaJ4nHIQ (more details in description)

And here are some earlier videos of my max-outs about three weeks pre-competition:
    Squat 250x1, 260x1, 270x1: http://youtu.be/5xlCQRkbMik
    Bench 170x1: http://youtu.be/mU9v_QAllbE
    Deadlift 285x1, 305x1: http://youtu.be/ZSjzOYMdWzE

I took a week off after the meet (wise decision for the personal life, not so much for the strength!). The past four weeks have really been about consistency. After college I was never consistent with my workouts in regards to the number of training days per week, and specifically planned workouts. I'd always push hard in the gym, but if I woke up one morning and didn't feel like training, I wouldn't! Terrible, I know. The competition gave me some fire to be more focused and take powerlifting (and lifting in general) more seriously. So while my strength and training "groove" is coming back slowly, it feels good to complete all my workouts without missing or skipping anything I intended to do. I'm off today, but this was yesterday's workout:

Deadlift 295x1x3
    Front Squat 162.5x5x3
    Walking Lunges 16 steps x4 w/ 45 lb. (2 min. rest)
    Pull ups BWx8x3

This was a great workout! I'm excited that deadlifts are coming along. I'm having some weird bar placement issues with the front squat; I'm feeling for the first time after years of front squatting that I'm "choking myself" with the bar. Lunges and pull ups were borderline easy; time to up the ante!

Bench 170x1
    Jesus.

Are you the strongest non-Gillian woman on here? It seems likely.

@LeonidasfromSparta Lol! Thanks!

I see I've made it a habit to disappear from the forums when meet time comes around. I did compete on June 14 and actually took first place in the 165 lb. weight class with a 744 lb. total! I forget what my Wilks score was but I came in fourth overall women based on those ratings. Here is some footage from the competition:
    http://youtu.be/PQgcaJ4nHIQ (more details in description)
    Congrats on taking 1st place! Glad you're back kicking ass!

@Mark, definitely.

starting strength coach development program
    Congratulations on a great meet!

Looking forward to following your progress.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast