starting strength gym
Page 103 of 270 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2699

Thread: Legitimacy first, then greatness. Adam Skillin is a competitive powerlifter.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6/8/15:

Not my best day in the loft.
    Squat: 295 x 15 (quit on it - comments below), 8, 2
    Bench: 185 x 5, 210 x 3, 235 x 4
    Slingshot bench: 234 x 6
    Press: 105 x 10 x 5
    Chins: 74 singles in 7 minutes

*I had a tough weekend, physically, mentally, and especially emotionally. Since this is my training log, and not the little pink diary I keep under my bed, I will spare anyone reading this the personal details and whining, but I wussed out on the 20-rep set for reasons other than a lack of the requisite physical strength to complete it. I quit because I lacked the mental fortitude to drive on in light of the other shit on my mind. I recognize, accept, and own the implications of this fact and hope I can benefit from this episode by identifying an opportunity to become better. I am grateful to the iron for the lesson it provided me tonight.

My training log is my little pink diary. Sorry to hear you've had some rough times.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I am grateful to the iron for the lesson it provided me tonight.
    Quoted from an older, slightly weird weightlifting coach after a heavy workout:

"The iron gods have received your offering and declared it acceptable. Go in peace."

Sorry you're having a rough stretch. You still did good work up there.. You'll bounce back.

Bro hugs. Remember that we lift in order to be better at life, we don't live to lift. I'm glad you have some perspective. May the iron gods favor you today.

I mean, I hope everything is okay.

Thanks, guys. All the support means a lot, and everything's most definitely okay. Just dealing with some of the normal stressors we all go through at various times. Really only mentioned it above because it's a relevant data point, in addition to the sets and reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Just dealing with some of the normal stressors we all go through at various times.
    You know what I hear is good for that?

Squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    You know what I hear is good for that?

Squats.
    Very true. I think everybody's familiar with this piece.

Learning about what you're made of is always time well spent, and I have found no better teacher. The Iron had taught me how to live. Life is capable of driving you out of your mind. The way it all comes down these days, it's some kind of miracle if you're not insane...

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

starting strength coach development program
    amen, and amen