starting strength gym
Page 11 of 270 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Legitimacy first, then greatness. Adam Skillin is a competitive powerlifter.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    We may have run through warm ups a tad quick tonight, but we got all the reps in. Oddly, we both felt like we were high when the other was yelling we were hitting proper depth.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Murphy View Post
    We may have run through warm ups a tad quick tonight, but we got all the reps in. Oddly, we both felt like we were high when the other was yelling we were hitting proper depth.
    We ran through at least the first 3 sets quickly too. But I just didn't have the groove tonight. I felt the weight going behind my mid-foot and then back in front several times. Just writing it off as an off day and being glad I deloaded enough to be able to get it done anyway.

8/9/14:

Feel like I got hit by a train on volume day. A train carrying trucks. And bulldozers. And rocks. First volume day back from meet taper = sucks.

Really, really light squats:

225 x 3 x 3

Volume bench:

205 x 5 x 5

Chin-ups:
    + 50 lbs: 7,5,6

LTE: 75 x 10 x 3

DB Curlzzz: 20# x 10 x 3 (each arm)

I'm a walking (barely) bag of hurt.

=)
    Last edited by Adam Skillin; 08-09-2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: double post

Don't get beat up by any 9 year olds or their grandmas at Jiu Jitsu today.

8/11/14:

Lonely night in the loft. B. Murphy a/k/a Tropical Twist was nursing his shoulder injury, and the lifter formerly known as Skinny Grant was recovering from a weekend camping trip. The other character has only been showing up sporadically, so I didn't even ask if he was working out tonight. He didn't show up.

Squats: 380 x 3, 380 x 2

I was going to do 5 singles, but 380 started out well, so I decided to double, then triple it. I actually think I left a grindy rep or even two in the tank. But I didn't rest long enough, without the distractions and plate changes to meter out my rest. The double in the second set was going to be the last rep of that set regardless of whether I went for it. A third rep attempt would have nestled itself comfortably onto the pins, so I didn't go after it.

Press: 145 x 5 x 5

No good stories. The fifth reps of the 4th and 5th sets were tough. S'posed to be like dat.

Deadlift: 450 x 2 (made a very half-assed attempt at a third. Didn't want to tweak anything)
    Rack pulls from pins in hole # 3 (just below kneecap): 450 x 5

It became immediately apparent that the barbell was dead center in my weak spot here. I really struggled to grind out the 5 reps, and probably didn't maintain the kind of lumbar extension I should have. I bet getting these better will improve my pulls substantially. Keeping them in the program for sure. For now, going to include them as a back off after 1 heavy set or single of full deadlifts and see where it takes me.

Dips (Very short rest ~30 seconds):
    +50 x 14, +25 x 9, +0 x 7

Lifting alone is less fun than lifting with the BIL crew. Needs moar yelling.

Once again - very inspiring, Adam! Especially when training on your own without encouragement from your buddies.

When I look at the bar loaded up to about 320 on the squat rack at my gym (and frankly get a bit scared of it) I think of your 380 squat, man up and get on with it.

Glad you've found the spot that needs working for your DL - I want to hear of more 500lb pulls soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    8/11/14:

Squats: 380 x 3, 380 x 2

I was going to do 5 singles
    Adam you are using triples and singles on intensity day? Are you planning to do that till the meet? I was having trouble figuring out my intensity day #s. I figure we have 8 weeks of heavy training before the meet. I wanted to do 1 set of 5 on intensity but to get 5 reps I would have to come down on the weight quite a bit. I kind of wanted to keep handling weight close to my opener. I was thinking 1 set of 5 on ID day and then maybe 1 or 2 singles at my opener and progress to 5 singles around 3 weeks out. what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Adam you are using triples and singles on intensity day? Are you planning to do that till the meet? I was having trouble figuring out my intensity day #s. I figure we have 8 weeks of heavy training before the meet. I wanted to do 1 set of 5 on intensity but to get 5 reps I would have to come down on the weight quite a bit. I kind of wanted to keep handling weight close to my opener. I was thinking 1 set of 5 on ID day and then maybe 1 or 2 singles at my opener and progress to 5 singles around 3 weeks out. what do you think?
    I'm just trying to add 5 lbs to ID every week and get 5-6 reps regardless of how I have to break them up. I definitely won't be able to add 5 lbs every week for 8 weeks, so I'm not sure how I'll deal with stall/resets. But my biggest problem is that I'm able to rep out too high a percentage of my 1RM. I need to get better at handling heavy triples, doubles, and singles, so that's sort of the priority for me.

I like your idea but I think I'd reverse the order. Hit the heavy single/double, then a set of 5 (or even 2 triples) at a reduced weight. 5 lbs/week x 8 weeks = 40 lbs on your starting ID squat weight. How low do you think you need to drop the weight to give yourself a little bit of room for progress on 5's?

starting strength coach development program
    so your plan makes sense... just gotta figure out the de-load.... maybe plan for it rather than just crash into it?

I think I could get 315 x 5 this week but it would be balls out and I doubt I would be able to go much further with 5s. So I am thinking 305 x 5 and I am hoping to get 325 x 5 in a few weeks and then I think I will probably have to go to triples.

If I add 40lbs over 8 weeks I am only at 345lbs. 345 x 5 would be stellar but I doubt that I could do that. So at some point I am going to have to jump the weight by more than 5lbs and drop some reps. I kind of feel comfortable with 5lb jumps so that is why I am thinking of adding a couple of singles in. But what you say makes sense. If I do the singles first they will be like over warm-up reps and maybe that will make the 5 go easier.

Page 11 of 270 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast