starting strength gym
Page 12 of 270 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Legitimacy first, then greatness. Adam Skillin is a competitive powerlifter.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    so your plan makes sense... just gotta figure out the de-load.... maybe plan for it rather than just crash into it?

I think I could get 315 x 5 this week but it would be balls out and I doubt I would be able to go much further with 5s. So I am thinking 305 x 5 and I am hoping to get 325 x 5 in a few weeks and then I think I will probably have to go to triples.

If I add 40lbs over 8 weeks I am only at 345lbs. 345 x 5 would be stellar but I doubt that I could do that. So at some point I am going to have to jump the weight by more than 5lbs and drop some reps. I kind of feel comfortable with 5lb jumps so that is why I am thinking of adding a couple of singles in. But what you say makes sense. If I do the singles first they will be like over warm-up reps and maybe that will make the 5 go easier.
    I was also thinking doing the single/double first would be a good idea, because I know that a heavy set of 5, for me, would crush any possibility of even a remotely heavy single. But maybe I'm just a sacred, unique snowflake of special, unique specialness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZr1...ature=youtu.be

B. Murphs started the camera after my first rep of my fifth set on squats. I didn't know he was rolling tape. So here's moderately ugly reps 22-24 of the night and bowling shoes ugly rep 25 at 350 lbs. Will post the rest of the details of the workout once we're done. Bad power cleans videos also forthcoming.
    Last edited by Adam Skillin; 08-14-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Here's my second power clean warm-up single @ 135 lbs. I think I didn't jump way way way horribly too early. But I did with my first set at my work weight (147.5), so I switched to hang cleans for the last 4 sets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZr1...ature=youtu.be

Advice/criticism very very welcome.

Okay, so here's the workout that the two videos are from:

8/14/14:

Volume squats: 350 x 5 x 5
    Intensity bench: 225 x 5 (PR), 210 x 6, 185 x 11
    Power Clean: 147.5 x 3 (jumped way too early. horrible. surprised they racked)
    Hang power clean: 147.5 x 3 x 4 (mixed results. some cleans felt good, some felt like I was shooting my hips forward and catching in a weird position)

Why won't you let the horses out???
    Squats are looking good and your depth isn't crazy low anymore. Will you finally squat 400 in a meet?

Quote Originally Posted by B. Murphy View Post
    Why won't you let the horses out???
    Squats are looking good and your depth isn't crazy low anymore. Will you finally squat 400 in a meet?
    I should be 5-repping 415 based on volume day of 350. I hope I can squat at least that for a single in October. Time to get some skillz at heavy singles. Maybe I can get my power clean over 30% of my deadlift too.

You just love volume; you need to work on hitting heavy singles so you can get your totals up.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Murphy View Post
    You just love volume; you need to work on hitting heavy singles so you can get your totals up.
    It really feels like I hate volume. Remember the part where I was lying on the floor after my last set with a vag full of sand crying for you guys to unload the plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    It really feels like I hate volume. Remember the part where I was lying on the floor after my last set with a vag full of sand crying for you guys to unload the plates?
    I think you were too concerned with your pop-tart poverty. I think it's allowed to be laying on the floor after your 4th and 5th sets on volume day? At least until the stars go away.

starting strength coach development program
    8/16/14:

Light squats: 230 x 5 x 3
    Bench: 210 x 5 x 5 (shoulder bothersomeness made this harder than it should have was been)
    Chins: +60 x 6,6,4
    LTE: 95 x 5 x 3
    Curls: 95 x 3. Time ran out.