starting strength gym
Page 13 of 270 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Legitimacy first, then greatness. Adam Skillin is a competitive powerlifter.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "There is no tomorrow." -Apollo Creed, Rocky III

This is Black Iron Loft's new pre-PR mantra. These words will hang on our walls in very large, capital letters. This is the mindset for success. This is our reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    "There is no tomorrow." -Apollo Creed, Rocky III

This is Black Iron Loft's new pre-PR mantra. These words will hang on our walls in very large, capital letters. This is the mindset for success. This is our reality.
    The wall that hangs down a little bit in front of the squat rack will be an excellent place to put that.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Murphy View Post
    The wall that hangs down a little bit in front of the squat rack will be an excellent place to put that.
    Yes!

8/18/14:

Despite yelling "There is no tomorrow" over and over, the gravity was too much for my ID squats to be a success today:

Squat:
    385 x total bag of fail
    385 x 1 (f)
    385 x total bag of fail
    365 x 2 (f)

Press:
    165 x 2
    155 x 5

Deadlift:
    455 x 3 (grindy 3rd with a slightly round back)
    Rack pull:
    455 x 5 (not that hard. Maybe getting used to this movement and can use some more weight next time)

DB Bench press:
    70's x 13

Playing with DB bench because my shoulder is not liking bench press lately. Can't decide if it's a bursitis issue or what. When I got my form right with the DB's, it was better than bench was the other day.

I also have to seriously figure out how to squat heavy weights. I have to assume the way-too-small gap between my volume squats (350 on Thursday) and my ID failures (385) means that I'm not recovering sufficiently. But if I re-set to a weight I'm almost certain to squat for 5 on ID, I'll have to drop volume day by 45 lbs, which is well over 10%.

On the other hand, I have 2 hard jiu jitsu workouts between my volume and intensity days, which can't be helping things. Maybe I need to go more HLM style, do my heavy squatting on Thursdays when I'm the most recovered, and just keep pushing 5's (maybe 3 sets) for as long as I can, then switch to 3's when that runs out. I'd probably advise my identical twin that he can't run Texas Method on squats with the jiu jitsu.

Going to go back to the book (PPST3), maybe see if Andy cares to offer an opinion, and of course welcome suggestions for anybody reading this. I did manage to take this rep scheme up to 395 x 1 x 4 prior to the meet taper, but my reps just tapered so quickly from 365 x 5 to only getting a double at 385, to only singles at 390 and 395.

Don't be a lightweight and you can hit your squats. Actually resetting them a bit with some different programming probably isn't a terrible idea with your Jiu Jitsu. I doubt you are getting sufficient recovery from your Friday nights/weekends of Jiu Jitsu to be hitting your ID squats on Mondays.
    I'd be interested to see what other people have to say, and I'll get back to reading PPST3 as well.

What you're describing is pretty much why I dropped TM for programming. Volume Day is a bitch that I could always tame; never failed on volume day. However, when it came to Intensity Day, I was always shot to shit, even if I waited 5 days after Volume Day. Sometimes I could release the freak and pull a set of 5 out of my ass, but eventually that well ran dry.

My take is two fold: If you want to stay on TM, then either drop VD down, but stay high on ID, or just take a deload. If you are too beat up on TM, it may be time to consider a different program. Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by tzanghi View Post
    What you're describing is pretty much why I dropped TM for programming. Volume Day is a bitch that I could always tame; never failed on volume day. However, when it came to Intensity Day, I was always shot to shit, even if I waited 5 days after Volume Day. Sometimes I could release the freak and pull a set of 5 out of my ass, but eventually that well ran dry.

My take is two fold: If you want to stay on TM, then either drop VD down, but stay high on ID, or just take a deload. If you are too beat up on TM, it may be time to consider a different program. Just my .02.
    Your 2 cents is much appreciated. I've pretty much decided to keep TMing bench press for now (if my shoulder will continue to feel as good as it did today) but put squats on a HLM progression. Going to start with 3 sets of 5 @ 355 on Thursday (would have been 5 x 5 if I was TMing), then do some 8's at 315 on Monday (with some light reps Saturday morning depending on how smoked I am from Friday night jiu jitsu). As the weights get heavier, I'll just let the volume taper off and try to keep the intensity moving upwards. Like I said, if I asked myself this question, I'd say I'm not a candidate for Texas Method. It did wonders for me for a short while there, but I think it's just too heavy for me as a 152/3/4 pound dude to keep hammering away at.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Your 2 cents is much appreciated. I've pretty much decided to keep TMing bench press for now (if my shoulder will continue to feel as good as it did today) but put squats on a HLM progression. Going to start with 3 sets of 5 @ 355 on Thursday (would have been 5 x 5 if I was TMing), then do some 8's at 315 on Monday (with some light reps Saturday morning depending on how smoked I am from Friday night jiu jitsu). As the weights get heavier, I'll just let the volume taper off and try to keep the intensity moving upwards. Like I said, if I asked myself this question, I'd say I'm not a candidate for Texas Method. It did wonders for me for a short while there, but I think it's just too heavy for me as a 152/3/4 pound dude to keep hammering away at.

Aye. Multiple sets of 350+ squats is going to hurt a 150 lbs dude, pretty bad. And in that Bw range, intensity is always going to be worse than volume.

Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    Aye. Multiple sets of 350+ squats is going to hurt a 150 lbs dude, pretty bad. And in that Bw range, intensity is always going to be worse than volume.
    Again, I appreciate the thoughts and feedback. Like you say, multiple sets of 350lb squats Thursday, training jiu jitsu Friday, light squats Saturday, training jiu jitsu Sunday, then trying to squat 380+ Monday at my bodyweight and age is just not going to work. I think I've got my head around this now. Sometimes I have to learn the hard way that programming common sense applies to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds like someone needs MOAR FOOD!
    Quit holding back, you're a beast.