starting strength gym
Page 5 of 270 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Legitimacy first, then greatness. Adam Skillin is a competitive powerlifter.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    looking good, man!

Do you think that you might be going too heavy on the light day and it is interfering w/ your intensity day? 295 is almost 2 X bodyweight for you (and your doing 3 sets!).... I barely squat body weight on my light day and I only do 2 sets.... this past Wed. my light day I left the gym feeling great--- like it was a recovery day. Of course, I am older than you so I need more recovery.

just thinking....
    Thanks, man. I don't know if I'm going too heavy on light day. Sure feels like it. Maybe I'll play around with it.

6/21/14 Was away visiting family in Florida this weekend. Got light day in at a 360* Fitness in or near Clearwater:

Power Cleans: 135 x 3 x 5 (I think having a mirror helps me)
    Squats: (Didn't have my shoes): 225 x 8 x 2
    Press: 150 x 5 (surprised I got all 5. Was planning to do 2 triples, but then made the last minute decision to go for it).
    Incline Press: 135 x 10 x 2 (Because I couldn't find a dip station, and I don't have the ability to do inclines at home, so I wanted to do them)

6/23/14:

Got back later than I'd hoped from a long weekend trip. Couldn't figure out a way to do all my lifting another day, so up to the loft I went.

Intensity Squat: 375 x 3, 1(f) (Blaming the plane ride, lack of sleep, and every other excuse I can think of)
    Volume Press: 137.5 x 5 x 5

Deadlifts postponed. Probably to tomorrow night.

Apparently I ate my way up to 161 lbs this weekend. Just going back to normal now should get me within range of 148 by August 2nd, and a lot of that's bloat, but wow.

6/24/14:

Had to make up the deadlifts I missed. Not sure whether it will turn out to have been a good idea...

Deadlift in PPII's: 440 x 1 x 5

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post

Deadlift in PPII's: 440 x 1 x 5
    Don't know your notation. Is this 5 singles?

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    Don't know your notation. Is this 5 singles?
    I should have explained that in the first post. That is 5 singles indeed. I say sets x reps when the weight isn't listed, but weight x reps x sets otherwise (except I don't usually bother with a x1 for a single set). I don't think I can pull 440 x 5 in shoes yet. Probably could in socks, at least on a good day, but that would be a 5-lb PR for a 5-rep set.

6/26/14:

Deadlifting Tuesday didn't seem to impede volume (aka horrible awful terrible make my legs hate me) day:

Volume Squat: 340 x 5 x 5. Started going too deep again now that my month-old hamstring injury isn't telling me when I'm at depth. All 5th reps had some grind factor in them. Knees even came in a bit on a few of them, if I'm honest.

Bench 3's: 220 x 3 x 5. Hard. Might have to start microloading.

Chins: AMRAP in 7: 73.

Very intent on getting 5 reps @ 380 on Monday. I'm a big fat 155 lbs. That's my meet PR single weight. Gotta 5-rep it.

May be looking for a pro MMA debut fight at 135. I'll keep the log updated and obviously would have to reach out to Andy Baker for some help as to how to maintain/continue strength gains while I lean up to within a cut-able margin. I'm sure he'll say HLM, but a private consultation might not be a bad idea if I find the right opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post

May be looking for a pro MMA debut fight at 135. I'll keep the log updated and obviously would have to reach out to Andy Baker for some help as to how to maintain/continue strength gains while I lean up to within a cut-able margin. I'm sure he'll say HLM, but a private consultation might not be a bad idea if I find the right opportunity.
    Awesome. How many amateur fights do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Awesome. How many amateur fights do you have?
    Just 4. Haven't been in the cage in a few years, but I've been training all the while.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Renato laranja would kill you in pl or bjj. Jussayin
    Not to mention speaking with an awesome Brazilian Portuguese accent. Nice 3000th post, btw.

starting strength coach development program
    Lifts are getting grindy for you now. Your knees certainly started coming in on some of the squats, but you love to grind out all 5 reps. I'll keep calling your depth so you stop going 2-3 inches too deep.
    Now keep getting stronger so you can dominate in MMA again.

Page 5 of 270 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast