starting strength gym
Page 6 of 270 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Legitimacy first, then greatness. Adam Skillin is a competitive powerlifter.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Murphy View Post
    Lifts are getting grindy for you now. Your knees certainly started coming in on some of the squats, but you love to grind out all 5 reps. I'll keep calling your depth so you stop going 2-3 inches too deep.
    Now keep getting stronger so you can dominate in MMA again.
    Yeah, as we discussed (and there's conveniently another thread on the boards regarding the topic out there at the moment), my strength gains are hitting a point of diminishing returns where I need to get back to the academy more than 3x/week (at least after I dominate the 148's in the USAPL meet on 8/2) and come up with a program that lets me train more without recovery needs being completely compromised. Nothing like getting up at 5 a.m. to do some pre-workday striking, working a full day, grappling in the evening, and then trying to lift heavy the next day. I can't wait. Blech!

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Jesus son, you are a monster-beast.
    I hope you are following Jordans supplement advice.
    Well, I'm not doing all of that right now, but if I get offered a fight, I will be. I do take creatine, BCAA's, and whey. No way I could train for a fight while running Texas Method, at least for lower body. I did when I was 26 and "heavy" squats were 200 lbs lighter than they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    I use the same stuff but just added beta alanine... Its fucking awesome and cheap.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it!

6/28/14:

Power Cleans: 140 x 3 x 5
    Squats (light): 275 x 5 x 2
    Press: (intensity): 152.5 x 4, 152.5 x 2
    Dips (rest-pause): 32 (PR), 8, 8

Psyched myself out of the fifth press rep at 152.5. I'll get all 5 @ 155 next week.
    Could have squoze out maybe 1-2 more dips, but I took the 2 rep PR and saved what I could for the next 2 sets. Wasn't much.

+1 on Beta-A. The flush is pretty cool. 1.5g pre and 1.5g post work for me...or you can go full retard and do 6g per day for jordangainzZz.

6/30/14

Thanks to B. Murphy's donation of 1 postage stamp, I mailed out my entry form for the USAPL meet on August 2nd.

Intensity squats: 380 x 3 (tripled my meet PR. Progress is progress. Wish I'd had a set of 5 in me), 380 x 2 (f)
    Volume Press: 140 x 5 x 5
    Deadlift: 405 x 5 in shoes

Here's the final (very ugly) set of squats (aka 1 squat, 1 squat-morning, and 1 failed squat):

Glad I can contribute to something.

7/4/14:

Pre-cookout lifting. B. Murphs and wifey, along with Skinny Grant agreed that we should take advantage of lifting on a non-work night and burn some meat and drink some beers (at least those of us who drink beer).

Volume squats: 345 x 5 x 5. These were god-awful. Horrible. Painful. Excruciating. Left me lying on the floor wondering why my liver was rebelling and thinking I might have to vomit. I believe that's par for the course. I plan to feel the same next week at 350.
    Bench sixes: 205 x 6 x 4
    Chin-ups: AMRAP in 7 minutes: 80. Could say 82, but I no-repped myself twice for kipping. Starting with sets of 5 is apparently more conducive to maxing out numbers than starting with 10's or 12's. Probably because of less fatigue due to fewer eccentrics. If I cared more about gunzZz, I'd keep the negatives and do longer, slower sets, but I don't. I just wanna stronk.

Now's my chance to make some ground on your squat!

You had some super grindy reps tonight, but it looked like you weren't getting in your groove. Get your power clean up and get more explosive!

starting strength coach development program
    7/5/14:

Power Cleans:

142.5 x 3, 2(f) These were goddamn awful. Had no explode today. But legs are sore as crap. Did some singles @ 135. Failed some singles @ 135. Made some much less wonky singles from the hand @ 135. Didn't count them. Hate friggin' power cleans.

Squat (light):
    245 x 5 x 2. They felt amazing, but heavy. Finally got my form back.

Press:
    155 x 5 Woohoo. First time I ever 5-repped bodyweight +. I was 152.5 this a.m.

Dips: +60 lbs: 15, 13

Page 6 of 270 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast