starting strength gym
Page 49 of 270 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Legitimacy first, then greatness. Adam Skillin is a competitive powerlifter.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Have you run this by TMPHBITU?
    I would do that by forum or email, I'm sure it's not a repetitive inquiry, see if he's ever seen anything similar, you have the full package of info now.
    Might be worth a second opinion from a different doctor as well. Seems like a very uncommon thing, compared to a torn bicep for example.
    Doesn't look like it's holding your squats back too much though.
    Yeah, I'm only down like 100 lbs from where I was on the squats. And these are certainly not limit-heavy.

The bottom line is this: I'm too old (32) and genetically un-gifted to be a professional MMA fighter or jiu jitsu competitor. And even if I had the talent to be a national-level powerlifter, you don't make money at that anyway. So an invasive, expensive, not-commonly-performed surgery to fix something that won't affect my ability to live a normal person's every-day life doesn't make sense.

I hate that it's the correct conclusion. I hate that the reasonable choice is to accept being 1 or 2 or 3% crippled.

But as much as I HATE it, I think the Doc is right. And I will drink a whiskey to his good sense. And one to my bad fortune. And one to coming back stronger and better anyway. Then another one or two to my bad fortune. So I'll accept this, but it will take a few whiskies. There will be several whiskies tonight.

you know i like that whiskey plan i think i will follow you with that

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Yeah, I'm only down like 100 lbs from where I was on the squats. And these are certainly not limit-heavy.

The bottom line is this: I'm too old (32) and genetically un-gifted to be a professional MMA fighter or jiu jitsu competitor. And even if I had the talent to be a national-level powerlifter, you don't make money at that anyway. So an invasive, expensive, not-commonly-performed surgery to fix something that won't affect my ability to live a normal person's every-day life doesn't make sense.

I hate that it's the correct conclusion. I hate that the reasonable choice is to accept being 1 or 2 or 3% crippled.

But as much as I HATE it, I think the Doc is right. And I will drink a whiskey to his good sense. And one to my bad fortune. And one to coming back stronger and better anyway. Then another one or two to my bad fortune. So I'll accept this, but it will take a few whiskies. There will be several whiskies tonight.
    Well, here's to peace of mind, and not letting it affect your life one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Well, here's to peace of mind, and not letting it affect your life one bit.
    Thanks, brother. As I said above, I'm committed to coming back stronger anyway. Despite this. In spite of it.

Overcoming

Triumph.

Thanks, brother. As I said above, I'm committed to coming back stronger anyway. Despite this. In spite of it.

Overcoming

Triumph.

I would bet money that you do bro.

Hi Adam,

I think you are making the right decision at this point. If your injury was a common one that is routinely corrected surgically (like a meniscus, labrum, rotator cuff, ACL, etc.), then I would say go for it. However, the fact that they can't even tell you what is actually wrong, they have limited experience with performing the necessary procedure, and you are progressing well in your rehab all add up to staying the hell away from the surgeon! I have seen too many patients who were dissatisfied with their surgical results to recommend you go through with something like this at this point. I suspect that you will continue to progress well with your rehab and you will be happy that you decided to listen to your doctor and not go under the knife.

Good luck!

Overcoming

Triumph.

I would bet money that you do bro.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Hi Adam,

I think you are making the right decision at this point. If your injury was a common one that is routinely corrected surgically (like a meniscus, labrum, rotator cuff, ACL, etc.), then I would say go for it. However, the fact that they can't even tell you what is actually wrong, they have limited experience with performing the necessary procedure, and you are progressing well in your rehab all add up to staying the hell away from the surgeon! I have seen too many patients who were dissatisfied with their surgical results to recommend you go through with something like this at this point. I suspect that you will continue to progress well with your rehab and you will be happy that you decided to listen to your doctor and not go under the knife.

Good luck!
    Thanks, Dr. P. Definitely a hard decision, but your confirmation really helps me rest assured that I'm thinking rationally. I owe you one, my friend.

12/31/14:

Squats: 265 x 5 x 3

Did 5's for my warm-up sets too, to keep the total number of reps up there.

starting strength coach development program
    "I just totally ripped my adductor, and just a few weeks after, I'm doing 265# for 3 sets of five, no biggie." That's impressive as hell, Adam. Tough luck, but it sounds like you're making the right choice being conservative in this one. I have no doubt you'll be crushing those weights again in short order.