starting strength gym
Page 1 of 270 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Legitimacy first, then greatness. Adam Skillin is a competitive powerlifter.

Default Legitimacy first, then greatness. Adam Skillin is a competitive powerlifter.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First meet ever: RPS South Jersey Rumble

Didn't get to warm-up all the way for squats, due to people hogging the warm-up rack, but nailed my opener @ 355.

380: 3 white (green, actually) lights

395: failed it. Got forward, or didn't drive up enough with the chest

Bench:

220: Lights out (3 green)
    240: Struggled, but finished it (3 green)
    245: A little too much today. Thank the lord for spotters.

Deadlift:

455: smooth as butter (3 green)
    480: felt heavy, but no issues (3 green)
    500: some lumbar rounding, but locked it out (3 green)

Total: 1120 @ 148. Actually weighed in at 144.6 yesterday. I need to gain some weight. I need to get my bench in line with my other lifts. I will log these things here. I will total 1150+ next time.

You would have almost been 1150 if you went 9/9. Awesome work.

I've always found that both presses benefit the most from a little bit more bodyweight.

Adam. Fantastic meet! That total puts you around 25th in the country. Jesus.

Nicely done! This sounds like a great first meet for you!

Thinking of entering the RPS Heatwave on July 12 on Long Island. In the meantime, my "World Records" are searchable on the RPS website (148, open, raw classic, male). Apparently I'm the WR holder in deadlift and total (and I should have taken 390 for the third squat, because 385 is the standing record).

And now time to complete an actual workout. Since this is supposed to be a log.

Do the RPS meet in July! I'll probably make it my first meet, and word is Jamie Lewis is gonna compete. He may be taking back that 181 record.

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    Do the RPS meet in July! I'll probably make it my first meet, and word is Jamie Lewis is gonna compete. He may be taking back that 181 record.
    I'm pretty sold. Just gotta figure out a couple logistical issues. I'd love to see Jamie lift, but he won't be in my flight. Trying to convince my 198/220 guy to compete, even though he won't be in the top tier just yet. So if I stick around to coach/handle him, I may get to see Jamie do his thing.

Tonight's workout (5/19/14):

Squat: 350 x 5 (Wow. Took a good 10 seconds between reps 4 and 5, which was a real grinder).
    Press: 120 x 5 x 5 (not that hard. Was fighting the tendency to just bust them out 1.0 style rather than use the hips for each rep, until the last few reps of sets 4 & 5, where I needed it)
    Deadlift: 340 x 5, 360 x 5, 385 x 5. Felt like this was enough volume after Saturday, so I skipped the AMRAPs. Going to start with 5/3/1 but probably go to 1 x 5, 2 x 3, 5 x 1 alternating once they get heavier.

Looking forward to seeing what your like in a year, Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kennedy View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what your like in a year, Nice job!
    Thanks! Hopefully I can eat and squat my way up to the 165's in a year.

starting strength coach development program
    Forgot a couple housekeeping items, and I want to get them in on the first page:

Old log: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=40634
    Older log: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=39366

Currently 32 years old, 148 lbs, male. Hoping these data change slowly, quickly, and not at all, respectively.

I'll call the meet results PR's for now, since previous squats at/above 380 were suspect at best on depth, and bench reps >240 were all unpaused. The deadlift is a straight up personal best.

I train to be stronger for Jiu Jitsu and life. I'm a brown belt with 8+ years' mat time. I fought 4 amateur MMA fights (went 4-0, 3 submissions), but that chapter of my life is probably behind me at this point.

I walk out squats. I deadlift conventional. I don't wear knee wraps. Personal preferences.

I lift with a small group of un-paid "members" of the "gym" (squat rack, barbell, platform, bench, plates) that I built in the loft of my Condo. We call it Black Iron Loft.

Page 1 of 270 1231151101 ... LastLast