starting strength gym
Page 122 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1782

Thread: Bryan's journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Feeling good about my state records being posted then went to usapl.liftingdatabase.com "rankings" and humbled myself.

Raw category lifting is so popular now I would rank # 3 or 4 in masters 1 equippped with my last raw total..
    I am #18 in raw masters 1b, 36 in masters1 raw. Looking at raw open is hard.

50 more wilks points to get to "nationally " competitive. Something to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Feeling good about my state records being posted then went to usapl.liftingdatabase.com "rankings" and humbled myself.

Raw category lifting is so popular now I would rank # 3 or 4 in masters 1 equippped with my last raw total..
    I am #18 in raw masters 1b, 36 in masters1 raw. Looking at raw open is hard.

50 more wilks points to get to "nationally " competitive. Something to ponder.
    Almost everyone lifts raw now so I'm not surprised about the Raw/Equipped competitiveness difference. I've also had the same thoughts about where my numbers are after I hit some some masters state records in NASA earlier this year. I thought "How hard could it be to be competitive at the open division nationally?" Unfortunately, after looking, I realized that I'm not even close to the open numbers. Even though that's a bit disheartening, I think the name of the game is continued progress as long as we can. Who knows how far we'll be able to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bustermonkey2 View Post
    Almost everyone lifts raw now so I'm not surprised about the Raw/Equipped competitiveness difference. I've also had the same thoughts about where my numbers are after I hit some some masters state records in NASA earlier this year. I thought "How hard could it be to be competitive at the open division nationally?" Unfortunately, after looking, I realized that I'm not even close to the open numbers. Even though that's a bit disheartening, I think the name of the game is continued progress as long as we can. Who knows how far we'll be able to go.
    Thanks..I do have my immediate goals to drive me forward. If I meet the next year of desirable benchmarks in meets (500/300/600) it will add 32 points.
    I will just keep this years plan in mind for now.

I am getting ready for a two week cruise. I will be off work after today until December 14, it's been a busy year and I am thankful for everything, I have been fortunate in life( my mother survived heart failure over 2014-15), thankful to be employed and challenged in my career to grow and innovate, I had a good relocation this year, moved and bought a new house, and In February my wife and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary. Just glad to be here at this point in my life!

Tuesday 22 November 2016
    Bwt 224
    HRV go for it..

Low bar squat 45x10,135x5,225x3,315x1 add belt but no sleeves
    365x6x3 practicing technique
    Harder than it should be because technique>barspeed

Bench press
    45x10,95x5,135x3,add chain189x1
    244(w/chain)x5x5.
    First three sets paused last two sets tng.

Pull-ups 3,3. No more motivation..

Got up early and went to get my blood draw. Worked afterword and may be a little low on food intake today..clearing out the fridge before vacation.
    I am showing overreaching symptoms( mood, appetite, motivation, mental and physical energy, performance is getting stale.). Which is where I want to be before vacation.. there is A fine line between going into vacation to recover and making myself sick before vacation so being careful. 1 more barbell session before vacation. Probably don't need to do much to keep fatigue pegged for at least a week into vacation, I will try to hit the facilities at least every 5 days and I won't feel guilty.

After Getting all of my delegations assigned and turning my out of office on in outlook I suddenly felt drained.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 11-22-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Last set of squats, more for practice, less aggressive.
    DSCN7986 on Vimeo

Last set of bench.I stole the last rep from gravity.
    DSCN7991 on Vimeo

Thursday 24 November 2016
    Bwt 224.6
    HRV indicated to train but limit intensity I am fully dosed up on training load and need an unload.( purposeful before vacation)
    Last session before I travel.

Training today was an efficient set up of alternating between press and deadlift taking two minutes rest between movements.
    Just targeting some solid submaximal training volume

Press 45x10,95x5,135x3
    155x5x5

Silent deadlift no belt squat shoes 135x10,225x5,315x3
    405x3x5
    These were done with a soft set down. Completely let it down but gently .. the idea was to not scare my dog who hates deadlift day( sounds like thunder) but this seems to be a good unique variation to use as it adds eccentric effort.

Shoulder health assistance
    With slotted 10#plates- front raise x10,side raisex10,pressx10,,hammer curlx10. For two sets. Swole.

I will be doing a lot of hypertrophy, mobility and different dumbells work on the ship. It should be a nice break For my hips and back.

Just a check in. Keeping sessions to 30-40 minutes a day. Doing simple setup of myo reps on dumbell bench or incline press, leg press myo reps and lunges one day and pull-ups , dumbells overhead press and RDLS in another day. Some days I'll throw in an extra series of machine press myo rep work.
    Decent nutrition.. off supplements for vacay. Less sleep and much more alcohol and sun than normal but having fun.

Monday 12 December
    Reintro after vacation.

Bwt 232.2..lol..like santa

Bench press paused no wraps using weighed and measured plates for accuracey
    45x,95x5,135x3,185x1,205x1,220x1,240x1,260x1,280x1 ( that's +10# since meet)
    235x5@9

Squat low bar light train g belt no sleeves
    135x5,225x3,316x1,365x1,405x1,455x1
    385x5@8

squat 405
    DSCN8000 on Vimeo

455 a little cave in left knee made it harder than it should have been..the importance of practice..
    DSCN8001 on Vimeo

bench 235x5
    DSCN7997 on Vimeo

So vacation was a blast. Aruba, Caracua, Antigua. St Kitts, Barbados. St. Lucia, Sint Marteen. Lots of food, booze, Sun and more. gained about 8 pounds but some of it may be odd food, travel and water, I will see how much sticks around as I clean up my diet and drinking habits , I had a premium restaurant and always had double portions plus ice-cream fresh made on the ship, it was great.
    During vacation I did very short physical maintenance sessions the time was closer to 20-30 minutes most time, Short and intense and leave. Lots of chin-ups using Myo Reps as well as dumbell presses and leg presses( machine only went to 200 kg) some split squats and rdls to stretch and thats about it.
    I took a complete break from Creatine and I felt it for the first week. The Dutch Islands were interesting, A lot of Germans and Dutch on the ship, very interesting including a man we met who was forced into duty in Germany during WW II as a boy.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 12-12-2016 at 05:06 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Welcome back. Looked like you had a great week. I'm guessing you will be ramped right back up in two weeks.