starting strength gym
Page 22 of 179 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan's journal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nice PR pileup!

Thanks Clay. It was a very good cycle. I tried not to leave anything below the prescribed fatigue on the table. Some days that sucked.
    My lower body required less work than the upper body in fatigue sets yet yielded better overall results. Something I am thinking about.

Holy shit, congrats on the huge progress! Squat looked great. Bench moved fast, I can't tell 100% if the butt popped off for a split second from the angle. You held really good back extension on both PR deadlifts, I often find that's one of the hardest parts. I'm impressed you've gotten the hook grip down so fast. Is your back feeling better as a result? Also, looks like you need more 45's!

Dan,
    Thanks...I was suprised.
    My back has been fatigued and mildly sore the entire two month cycle. Once I committed for a max effort lift the hook grip felt very good. Most of my focus was on squeezing my thumb, keeping my back tight and standing up. The squat training contained some pr highlights but I never expected a 30# pr.
    The bench. I am thinking this is my lagging lift. My progress is hard to read here. I am considering a DUP approach for the bench only and keeping my squat and deadlift on the same template with slowly adding frequency. I may need some more mass in my upper body and triceps but. if Indeed I gained 15 pounds on my bench in 2 months it isn't anything to bitch about.
    . My legs, and back actually responded well and I added some inches to my lower body and back, I had to buy some new pants last week.

Yes I need to acquire a couple more 45's
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 09-27-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Nice work, Bryan!

Awesome progress, Bryan! Sixty-five pounds in two month is just outstanding.

Wow. Just awesome! Congrats on the big PR's. Strong squatting, man!

Outstanding work! You've passed my total up so I have some work to do when I get back to a good block!

I think you had another 10 lbs. in you on the DL. Do you think? Form was picture perfect.

Streach,
    Thanks.. Very hard work is a worthy endeavor

Ed,

Thanks I was really OCD about this cycle and I surprised myself this realization.

Sking
    Dude, I just want more. Addictive..

Walter,
    I learned a lot about perfect practice making perfect execution. This training cycle
    I deadlifted off the floor and did my fatigue sets every week. It literally felt like shit most of the time, my back was tired, achey and stiff literally 7 days a week, it was misery. It works I am going to do it again!

Did I have + 10 on the deadlift.? My feeling was that I did not based on the effort I had to pull across my knees at 510. I stall right below the knees typically and it happens suddenly. Maybe with some encouragement and the right atmosphere I could have had a 50/50 chance. I will certainly expect to be dead lifting with self motivation 520 in a couple of months.

I am going to take a recreational lifting week for mental sanity and to dissipate some remaining fatigue. Some foundational squats and fun stuff nothing above and RPE 8 to take a mental break and plan to start my next block on October 6.

My squat and pulling protocols will remain pretty close to the same with some rep PRs planned during accumulation. I am thinking hard about my bench press and if it is realistic to get 300 before the end of the year. Another 10 -15 pounds is great actually but 20 will take some thought about the process and hard smart work.

Not mentioned often in my logs is my conditioning protocol 2- 1 to 2 mile walks a week and one 1 to 2 mile 50# vest walk a week. This will remain constant, it has helped my recovery.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 09-28-2014 at 05:12 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I need to do some more of the GPP work. Now that the summer is over and work is back to normal levels, I can't fit in a fifth day at the gym. OTOH, we're looking at getting a new dog, so the idea of 1-2 mile walks is definitely a possibility.