starting strength gym
Page 41 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan's journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Nice volume to start building the base for this year. Good insight into your pulling position, as well.

Thanks Walter. Slow and steady build up.

Friday
    TRAC
    You are showing some negative effects of stress. Reduce your training by 1 set or subtract 2% fatigue from each movement.
    Also, tiredness has been high. Try to take a nap today.

Passive recovery day
    Recovery message for an hour
    followed by trip to brewery for beer and lots of food.

Sunday 1/11/2015
    TRAC Contin ue training asnormal..I need a nap
    Pin Squat
    300x8@7.5
    300x8@7.5
    300x8@8
    300x8@8.5

NGBP
    215x8@8
    215x8@7.5
    215x8@8
    215x8@8
    215x8@8.5

Lever rows
    225x8x4@7-7.5

Press
    135x7x4@6.5-7.5

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Great reps, Bryan. Do you feel that these are different in effect from paused squats?

Yes, they have a slightly different training effect...but not much. The pin squats you unload before the concentric portion. This makes it similar to deadlifting in my mind, But with squat form /bar loaded on the back. Less specific to comp squatting, but good general lower body training that takes away a lot of the stretch reflex( I consider it good for both deadlift general strength and squats.)

The pause squat you stay loaded throughout. You must maintain tension during the pause in the legs, back and trunk. This trains me, In respect to tightness. This is a little more specific to comp squatting.

They both help build better capability out of the bottom and improve awareness of bar position which makes me a more efficient squatter( less waste, more pounds on bar).

I currently am doing both in the same training week for volume with one session a week dedicated to competition style. I keep other variations in my back pocket as I need them but pauses and pins are my favorites.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 01-12-2015 at 01:31 PM.

I meant to add this as this will be my measure of weekly progress.
    Tonnage week 1
    Pressing 10,860
    Lower body 15547

For this phase of training I will track progress through tonnage. With no meet pending really soon ( I have some in my sights for maybe March or April, July and possibly October) I can just train each block with no pressure, run each until it stops working or runs out off steam and go to the next with the same attitude.
    I am thinking of just letting trac protocol control any volume undulations as well,I don't have to force any timing until I need to do meet prep.

Tuesday 1-13-15
    TRAC says I am showing negative effects of stress try not to overly fatigue myself today.

2count pause squat
    335x5@8
    325x5@7.5
    325x5@8+ perceptibly harder than first set.

2count pause bench with chain
    45x10, 135x5 add chain 180x3, 210x3 damn left shoulder /neck thing
    Took off chains
    225x2 stopped it there more below

During vacation somehow I traumatized my left ac joint or contused the actual acromion protrusion. I suspect it was either when I was cleaning and front squatting over there and I had a messy rack that impacted the joint and surrounding tissue or a water sports thing.

Symptoms felt like a contusion near or on the ac joint( it is hard to feel) with muscular pain on the side and anterior left of my neck.
    Today I got some muscular feedback from the clavicle as well as neck muscle cramping. I have been dealing with some left shoulder pain since this began. I am having trouble determining if this is a simple contusion and muscle issue or a joint issue. Since I was getting a unique feedback from my shoulder today I cut the session short. Also the left shoulder did not like me reaching overhead after Sundays session...
    I was hoping if it was a simple contusion that training would be beneficial. For now ice. And hope the reduced loading and volume today lets it feel better.

If I was certain it was muscular I would do something like the Starr rehab protocol. Just not sure and I don't have competitive orthopedics in my area.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 01-13-2015 at 06:38 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Ouch, that sounds annoying. I've had shoulder pain around that area before that's usually caused by the bar getting out of position during an overhead movement. It's always seemed to go away on its own. Well, once I tore something up there but that was really obvious. Hopefully yours starts to feel better.