starting strength gym
Page 53 of 179 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan's journal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Really bummed to hear the diagnosis, Bryan. It sounds like you're in a good decision making mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Thanks.
    If/when I get back to benching I am going to get a thorough form evaluation to eliminate that as a possible issue. I wish I knew the cause. A form issue? a muscular imbalance? are some of us just predisposed. Could the fact that my other collar bone has been fractured badly when I was 16 and there is assemetry in my devlopment(my left side for years has been my stronger more developed side. ) and therefore I put more pressure on my left side without knowing it?
    There's a reason it is commonly called "Weightlifter's Shoulder." From a form issue, key points of emphasis on the BP is to not have the arms out at 90 degrees. Key issue on the press is elbows a little forward at the bottom. But, you already know that. I'm just saying that you probably didn't do anything "wrong" per se and you probably aren't predisposed. But, I'm not a doctor.

Thanks for the comments. Today I just decided to do some "back and arms" at my office gym. MY wife has cabin fever and I need to take her out after work. so I will act like I have a life for today.

Cable rows, Pulldowns
    Cable curls, rope push downs. Using myo-rep protocol. Weights are really unimportant. Just got some work in.

ALso tried to pull on this cable machine to get some blood flowing. Only went up to 150 so 3x5 at a deficit since I stood on some blocks on that was not even work.

I might try some one arm pressing at times in this six weeks and just avoid the injured wing.
    Feeling good and positive. If the weather is nice I may stretch my legs outdoors this weekend.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 03-06-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. A question that comes to my mind is: what will the long term effects of laying off for 6 weeks be? Would that solve the problem or would whatever is going on now eventually come back after you resume bench and press?

Good question. My wife and the dr don't seem to understand that I am not going to give those lifts up long term

I feel your pain. I wrecked my left shoulder in Sept 2013 and I still cant do flat benches. I was Doing close grip benches with 245 when it let loose.
    So much for doing close grips to protect my shoulders. I can do overhead presses, but it hurts until it gets warmed up.
    I believe mine is an ac joint issue, but I've never had it looked at. Best of luck with your injury.

Sorry if I sound off today,,a lot of bargaining going on with myself and my wife. She is coming around today to the fact that I will bench again if I get the surgery( she just doesn't want me damaging myself in a permanent cant travel and enjoy our later years together kind of way., she loves me and wants me healthy and whole)
    I am going through the process..surgery is the probably destination

Big picture. It's not bad, it's a sports injury. I am fortunate that this is my physical challenge. We just found out last week my wife's sister has breast cancer ( stage 1 fortunately) .
    I have a lot to be thankful for.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I feel your pain. I wrecked my left shoulder in Sept 2013 and I still cant do flat benches. I was Doing close grip benches with 245 when it let loose.
    So much for doing close grips to protect my shoulders. I can do overhead presses, but it hurts until it gets warmed up.
    I believe mine is an ac joint issue, but I've never had it looked at. Best of luck with your injury.
    Thanks.

Good big picture thoughts. Also, I'd say that not lifting predisposes you more to not being useful later on than lifting does. Getting old just sucks in any way you wing it. Pushing on like a competitor might be worse than being sedentary, though I'm even unsure of this.

Bobby from the boards recently had AC surgery, and was setting PR's some months after. I believe his initial layoff was also around 6 weeks, where he only did unilateral work on his "good" side. You can throw him a PM, or read through his log. The talk about weightlifters shoulder and the process beginning surgery starts here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...hlight=surgery

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you. My odometer has probably rolled over a couple of times if you know what I mean. I will check out the thread later.