starting strength gym
Page 57 of 179 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan's journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks Walter. It has me learning to be more well rounded. I am tempted to start a caloric deficit, and lose a couple of inches off my waist. It would be a good time to do so if I decide to commit, nothing wrong with getting more optimally lean.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 03-30-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Join the calorie deficit crowd! It's a thing these days (completely unrelated to summer coming up, I'm sure).

Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    Join the calorie deficit crowd! It's a thing these days (completely unrelated to summer coming up, I'm sure).
    It's related to the fact that I get the better a response to training if I don't get too fat. But summer is a good reason too.i want to keep the waist circumference less than my hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    It's related to the fact that I get the better a response to training if I don't get too fat.
    To be fair this is my reason, too. Or rather: I'm testing whether becoming Slim Jim and then adding in fuel slowly will unstick my lifts, which have been around the same zone of "decent-but-not-great" for longer than I care to admit. And if not - at least my lift/BW ratio is improving.

General health is probably also a decent reason not to get too chubby, though I think as long as you are around 18% or lower, the benefit is negligible.

How's the shoulder lately?

I am holding out hope for the AC joint. I want to get another surgeons opinion before pullingthe trigger(one whos prevalent patient demography is not geriatric).I also want to see if I can self clearance it, If I can tolerate some push movements and the end of the clavicle end has healed enough and there isn't something else wonky with the Acromion process. (have read of this self resolving/ one can always hope to be that lucky)
    I no longer get the grinding and popping by moving my shoulder through its ranges of motion but the deformation /inflamation which is minor seems permanent unless I get it scoped out(removal of the capsule).

Ice helps, the hot tub helps, ibuprofin helps. Doing stupid things like sudden forces like shovelling golf ball size sharp gravel or slipping on the stairs and grabbing a handrail.. they do not help. I expirimented with naproxen.. it had no effect compared to 400 mg if ibuprofin which I only take at bedtime once a day.
    This will pass, I will either heal, or get surgical repair and heal but I will heal.

As always I like your perspective. Of course it will heal, and you'll be fine. But I understand your hesitation. Bobby (the dude whose log I linked to earlier) apparently got a surgeon who was used to footballers. Maybe get the docs details from Bobby and ask for a referral to someone in your area who, as you say, doesn't mostly deal with the geriatric? My guess, though, would be that the invasive option is even more preferred for the more active vs. the geriatric, who just need to "get by" if you know what I mean.

Having had my share of injuries, including a couple of operations on my wrist, I feel your pain. Being hurt really sucks, inside the gym and out.

Tuesday 31 March 2015

Upper body GPP at work.
    High rep curls and tricep pushdowns with some cable flys.
    Worked on range of motion work, pullup hangs etc.. A little negative feedback from the issue last night and this morning telling me I did something offensive. . I need to isolate the fly and the pullup hand and determine which is the offender, I felt more discomfort in the pullup bottom position , If I take a wide grip the discomfort goes away.
    Took an afternoon walk. and hot tub treatment.

Wednesday 1april 2015
    Hrv go ahead with intense training.

But Deload week continues.

1"defecit DOH deadlift , no belt in squat shoes.
    315x5x2

Suitcase carries 37 yardsx 83#x6 trips alternating hands. ( I stopped here )

Stretch and done.

Thursday april2 ,2015

2count pause squat, no belt or sleeves
    325x2x5 all @7 s could do these for a long time if it wasn't a Deload.

Stretching( I have been doing an overhead squat with each plate I strip off for a good stretch), and additional shoulder rehab..
    Not too much longer until I reintroduce the press.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 04-02-2015 at 05:51 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Friday April 3,2015

Press (starting a Quick LP)
    45x5x3

Backward sled drag rows added weight indicated.( I like these, because it starts at the foot plant)
    90x10x2
    180x10x4

Empty sled, face pulls
    Finished with alternating TYI pattern x42