starting strength gym
Page 72 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan's journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks for the pressure! I love it.

Sunday 19 July 2015

Bwt 215 just training to feel normal and burn nervous energy.

Squats 46x10,135x10
    185x5,225x5,275x5,315x5,365x5

Quick tempo short rest, working on knee cue trying to get back as horizontal as it will go, felt the weight get more in my hips. Good.

Press 2.0
    45x5,95x5,115x5,125x5,135x5,145x5
    Again light and crisp

Halting deadlifts
    135x8
    185x8
    Way too light and easy ( saving my recovery reserves)but seeing how I like them with staying out over the bar in mind. I like it.

So...this was probably my last session , surgery is Wednesday morning.
    When I stay way from flat presses the shoulder doesn't hurt..it would be easy to back out right now, but then I would try a bench cycle and it would go downhill. This steroid gave me a good 6 weeks pain free so far..the times I have tried horizontal presses I get reminded of the bone on bone issue, I am committed to this "easy" repair.

Let's call this a mid year review.
    I started the year wanting to ramp up my volume..my ac joint became symptomatic on January 13th.. It took me a while to back off.

When I finally started to make adjustments I started to establish some rep and volume PRs primarily a bunch on squats a couple of rep prs on deadlifts and some on power cleans. I have managed to stave off much regression in the press setting a rep pr without being able to bench to much effect this year.

On the body comp front I have dropped 15 pounds maybe a pound or two more( I was 232 when I returned from my New Years vacation) I woke up @215 this morning. I ate several slices of real pizza and a pound of top sirloin for dinner last night, so this was surprising.
    So I didn't really show anything on my powerlifting total, but got stronger where I could and lost some bodyfat.

Recently I dropped training frequency to just twice a week for the past several weeks. I am going into this pain free and feeling pretty good as a whole. In preparation I Haven't taken an NSAID is several days.
    Taking it easy with this sinus infection waning away.

I will give updates as I have them, I'm trying not to be too anxious so that recovery can go well.

On the side we are house shopping..

got stronger where I could and lost some bodyfat.
    Sounds like a good half year to me. And now you are making an investment towards long term quality of life by getting something done to the bum shoulder. All this while probably moving - as always inspirational to read through this. Best of luck with both!

Good luck, Bryan. Will look forward to your report on your surgery when you are up to it.

Hope surgery was a success....inquiring minds want to know

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmi Meadows View Post
    Hope surgery was a success....inquiring minds want to know
    surgery sounds succesfull, we went open incision . all ligaments preserved with about 1 cm of the clavicle excised. its too early to determine pain and if i will use the narcotics.. was under general anesthesia , and local injections for pain, no nerve block.

sitting here with an ice pack, in a sling on the couch. appettite is roaring. i will take it easy for a few days and see how it goes. i wil start self rehab in two weeks for range of motion and should take 6 before i really load it ..

i

Glad to hear it went well, Bryan! Rest up and you'll be back at it in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    surgery sounds succesfull, we went open incision . all ligaments preserved with about 1 cm of the clavicle excised. its too early to determine pain and if i will use the narcotics.. was under general anesthesia , and local injections for pain, no nerve block.

sitting here with an ice pack, in a sling on the couch. appettite is roaring. i will take it easy for a few days and see how it goes. i wil start self rehab in two weeks for range of motion and should take 6 before i really load it ..

i
    Great news! Glad it went well. If you weren't sent home with a cryocuff then I highly reccomend buying one online. It really helped me in recovery not only did it help post surgery and reduce the need for pain meds but it was also a huge help to throw on after rehab.

I am on straight ibuprofen with hydrocodon (haven't needed it yet ) on the side. And a gel pack. The incision was right at the top of the shoulder. I haven't peeked yet.

It's been 8 hours. And the pain is not as bad as the symptoms were. I am worried it will come on suddenly and unexpectedly though. Sitting by the pills.

starting strength coach development program
    Great news. Recovering from my wrist surgeries I had good success with applying general injury rehab principles: Leave it alone for a few days. Start slowly and progressively, being very careful to distinguish between "good" and "bad" pain.

I am sure we will see you back better and stronger than ever within a year, as others have said. Looking forward to following along.