starting strength gym
Page 74 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan's journal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    July 29 2015
    1 week post op.
    first day back to work, I got a bit tired towards the end of the day and took an hour nap as soon as I came home.
    I have Been doing range of motion work, and some very light rehab movements. on a daily basis for a couple for a couple of days now.

I just tested shoulder flexibility by getting under the bar to see if I could. squatted barx5x3. I was able to get into position fine. felt good to move my body in the familiar pattern. My Shoulder flexibility has improved the past couple of says.
    I can feel tightness in my shoulder, cant tell if its the sutures on the skin or internal.
    Next thursday is my follow up with the surgeon. I want the go ahead to load some plates.
    Diet is going well. Forcing myself to eat as much protien as I normally would. some days it is hard.weight fluctuating from 217-219. if i gaina couple its better than losing any right now.

thats it gotta grill a sirloin.

Wow! This sounds like great recovery progress. Nicely done! Do you think that the surgeon will give you the go ahead?

i hope so. I am a little ahead of his instructions, he told me to just do range of motion work. Tonight I started a high rep press protocol with just 5 pounds ( two sets of 50) to start flushing blood. My shoulder and left pec has some cool green bruising from the post surgery swelling. I want to try to avoid any scar tissue on the delt from the incision so I need to start moving it more.
    No joint pain.

If you're already doing ROM work it sounds like you're coming along well. I found it pretty tough to do certain ROM exercises with my thumb when the stitches were still in. I'd imagine when yours come out things will improve even more rapidly.

Your recovery sounds like mine after wrist surgery. You will be back in no time. Awesome work.

I feel you on not being motivated to eat when you don't train. It can really affect your mind. So getting some work in, any type, might help with that, too!

tonights fuck you injury recovery meal....
    6 eggs, 12 oz ribeye, hashbrown and sald fun!

Range of motion work has moved on to to progressive rehab.
    Doing rehab protocol overhead pressing very light 3x25 progressing slowly, no hurry. I also have worked up to 1.5 miles a day of hiking in the foothills behind my house, no reason to be inactive.
    My incision looks like it freakishly healed already, keeping protien up helps. I don't get the sutures out till next Thursday along with my post op follow up discussion.

Aug 4 2015
    13 days post op
    Light rehab continues.

Press 25x25x3
    Reverse curl 25x25x3

Good blood flow, working on really slow progression.
    And daily walk in the hills.
    Nothing too hard but not sitting on my ass either.

Follow up is Thursday.

Mild swelling but it gets better everyday, I have chased all but a small trace of bruising at the incision site away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    i hope so. I am a little ahead of his instructions, he told me to just do range of motion work. Tonight I started a high rep press protocol with just 5 pounds ( two sets of 50) to start flushing blood. My shoulder and left pec has some cool green bruising from the post surgery swelling. I want to try to avoid any scar tissue on the delt from the incision so I need to start moving it more.
    No joint pain.
    A good sign.

starting strength coach development program
    6 aug 2015 Thursday

Followed up with surgeon. He is done with me as long as I don't screw up. Sling is off.He Basicly wants me to take it easy in overhead, no climbing, no pull-ups until around October,

Other restrictions I should abide by.. No heavy pulls as they can upset the stability of the repair limit pressing work to very little and light. Everything is doing great don't want to mess up.

Things I can do. Squats if they don't hurt. Shoulder rehab work, easy rows limit progress on upper body weights until my benchmark date. I should be good to go I. 8-12 weeks from surgery to start progressions. Avoid like the plague and crossing motions with resistance until healing is complete.
    At least I can squat as long as nothing rest on the surfer site or clavicle...so no safety bar.

So easing back

Squat 45x10,135x5,225x5. Checked ego and only went up to 275x5..tried a thumb around grip here.not much difference.

Various shoulder rehab work. YTI's and external rotation work.

That's enough,

Going to have to be creative I guess.w I do to want to jack myself up on squats so I am starting conservative. As I feel more confident and healed I will get more aggressive squatting. I need to be chill and heal and enjoy the fact that I can do some things .
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 08-06-2015 at 05:33 PM.