starting strength gym
Page 75 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan's journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    aug 7

creative upper work

single arm dumbell incline press ( a shot at unilateral work /bilateral compensation) 45x10x4, 45x15
    cable rows.. light, a bunch.

Thats it.

Been meaning to mention that you should try Zerchers. We do them as an assistance for the Deadlift and I swear that between those and squats I was able to not lose ground once I was able to go back to deadlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmi Meadows View Post
    Been meaning to mention that you should try Zerchers. We do them as an assistance for the Deadlift and I swear that between those and squats I was able to not lose ground once I was able to go back to deadlifting.
    Thanks, the Doc seems more concerned with me having more than 100# pulling on the shoulder during the next few weeks, he did some ligament grafting to help me in the future knowing I was going to load it heavy again.
    I can actually feel the extra tension in the left shoulder. It turns my hand into a more pronated natural hanging position as I stand. It is a wierd sensation , but it gets less noticeable day to day.

The neat thing is I can get right into low bar position, as long as I am carefull not to load the arm. I am thinking of rigging up some kind of hip belt, and good mornings are not out of the question as a pulling sub until I can load the shoulder. Got the prowler too. If I can just do enough not to turn into a jelly donut and maintain my weight, I feel I can have a pretty good run when everything is right.

Yesterday's unilateral pressing work seemed to be stimulating as well. I had some asymetry with my left pec being noticable more developed than my right( from when I broke my right clavicle as a teenager) so this may be a chance to correct that.

ligament grafting
    Winning! I want some of that
    Keep them in mind when he gives you the ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmi Meadows View Post
    Winning! I want some of that
    Keep them in mind when he gives you the ok.
    Yeah, trying to practice patience with it.

Continuing to practice restraint and ease back into frequency.
    Sunday 9 August 2015
    Body weight 217

Squat high bar
    Barx10,135x6,185x6,
    225x16 last rep paused for good measure.

Good morning. Deadlift stance simulating a very slow stiff leg deadlift
    45x10,95x10,115x10

Walking lunges barx20x2. Not sure if I should be pulling even the bar overhead together the bar in position.. A good stimulus but may try another loading method for the near term. I said I was practicing restraint, not that I am a master of it.

Shoulder rehab stuff. Rear lat raises, superman raises and external rotations.

aug 10 2015 monday

30 minutes walking some hills 125-150 bpm..it is hot and i have some soreness. finsished the recovefry walk anyway.
    I have some intense doms in my posterior chain...i need to fashion some straps for the bar on my back to give an easier on the shoulder variation.

Tuesday August 11 2015
    A light day

Squat high bar with shoulder relief straps
    45x10,135x5,185x5,205x5.

Press ( single arm..good arm only) myo reps-55x10+5+5+5+3

A bunch of one arm kettle bell swings..ahem ."

Various light curls and tons of band pull aparts.

Shoulder has been aching a little today with the same tightness. I was wondering when the bad vs good day thing would start with recovery. It gets used in everyday work, driving and light rehab work. I may limit my regular squat frequency a bit to take it easier on the shoulder. Sometimes I forget the shoulder is hurt and do something that reminds me that I am in recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    225x16 last rep paused for good measure.
    Is that a typo or are you a masochist?

Sounds like things are coming along well. Do you have a way to do GHRs? I did those to maintain some lower body strength when I couldn't use my left arm. If squatting is tough on the shoulder I wonder if leg press could be an acceptable substitution if you have access to one. Maybe also one-arm cable pull-throughs to train hip extension.

Nice work and nice restraint, Bryan.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Is that a typo or are you a masochist?

Sounds like things are coming along well. Do you have a way to do GHRs? I did those to maintain some lower body strength when I couldn't use my left arm. If squatting is tough on the shoulder I wonder if leg press could be an acceptable substitution if you have access to one. Maybe also one-arm cable pull-throughs to train hip extension.
    I dont have a GHR, I will need to drag the sled out and pull it around some, slow controlled good mornings are also stimulating. I am going to a hotel this weekend, maybe they will have a a leg press.

I have a short term goal with 225 while I am malingering about sick bay.