Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Road to Dawn - Kain's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Volume squat day!

Squats
    345x5x5
    Finally, some progress! Admittedly, the last 2 reps of the last set were quite a grind.

Trap Bar Deadlift
    490x5
    First time in a long time since I've done these, so I was quite pleased with the result.

Makeshift GHR (2-Box)

Some nice progress on the squats, so I'm quite happy with how today's session went. I'm hoping volume bench day goes just as well.

Volume bench day was quite successful in one regard and not so much in another. On the one hand, I managed the bench press that I had failed last week. On the other, I didn't handle the press as well.

Bench Press
    295x5
    My original intention was to do 295x5x5, but the first set was super easy so I added a little more and went from there.
    300x5 300x5
    300x5
    300x5
    Previously, I had failed the 5th reps of both the 4th and 5th sets, but grinded through them today quite well.

MG Press
    I decided to whip out my Multi-Grip Bar as I hadn't used it in quite a long time.
    190x4
    My goal was to do this for 5 but my right arm failed me in the final extension.
    185x5
    I lowered the weight a tad and went for 5 reps.

Chin-Ups
    AMRAPx5

MG Bench Press
    185xAMRAPx4

Close-Grip Rows
    125(+1)x10x4

Some progress was made today, so I can't really complain.

Today was intensity day for squats. I must admit, I was fairly anxious about the weight I had to do today as it has given me trouble in the past, but I managed quite well.

Squats
    135x5
    165x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    365x5 (PR maybe?)

Front Squats
    320x5x5 (PR!)
    I was going to do some halting deadlifts after this but my lower back was fairly tender so I decided just to do some GHRs.

GHR (2-Box)

All in all, quite a good squat day!

Eh, today was REALLY not my day. Intensity bench day was goddamn awful in general. Firstly, I didn't hit the mark I wanted to. Secondly, my training partner (whom I believed to have a bench press slightly below mine), just messing around, hit my mark comparatively effortlessly. Thirdly, I clipped my finger while loading the bar, creating a gashing wound that wouldn't stop bleeding. Fourthly, I thought I lost one of my shoes and searched for about 20 minutes, only to find that it was hidden quite well in the corner of my large bag. Lastly, I broke one of my earphones..

Bench Press
    310x4
    310x4
    I wanted to get it for 5 but I failed at the last quarter of the repetition both times.

Press
    175x5x5
    The idea was to do this with 180 but there was simply no way I was going to do it after bench pressing so abysmally.

Chin-Ups
    AMRAPx5

2-Board Bench Press
    275x5x5
    I was royally upset about where I failed during the bench press so I decided to hammer the general region where I was evidently weak.

Multi-Grip Bar Close-Grip Tricep Extensions
    85x12x5

Close-Grip Rows
    135x10x5

Absolute shit-fest!

The Iron Gods sent me some love for once! Today was volume squat day and it was absolutely wonderful.

Squats
    350x5x5 (PR)
    No grinding whatsoever; each rep went up quickly and smoothly!

Deadlift
    465x5
    These went up quite quickly as well, so no complaints here.

GHR (2-Box)

Banded Back Extensions

Always a pleasure to see progress on volume squat day! I'm hoping the same happens on volume bench day.

While I doubt anyone is actually reading this godawful log, I find it useful to put some of my bad training days into perspective. Today was such a godawful day. More specifically, it was volume bench press day.

Bench Press
    300x5 300x5
    300x5 300x4
    300x5 300x3
    Dammit all! If I had just gotten that last rep on the 5th set it wouldn't have been such a bad day.

Press
    190x3
    190x3
    These were quite heavy after the epic failure that was the bench press.

Chin-Ups
    AMRAPx5

Dynamic Effort Bench Press (Avec Mini-Bands)
    165x12x3
    I was so royally upset about bench press that I decided to hammer my triceps.

Close-Grip Rows
    135x5x10

Multi-Grip Close-Grip Tricep Extensions
    90x12 100x12
    95x12 100x12
    100x12

Eh, not a particularly good day.

This was a pretty solid session. ID for squats was quite successful I must admit.

Squats
    370x5 (PR!)
    This is the strongest my squats have been in a very long time. It seems that I'm doing SOMETHING well!

Front Squats
    325x5x5 (PR!)

Deadlifts
    475x5
    425x5
    425x5
    I played around with the hook-grip and I quite enjoyed it.

GHR

Banded Back Extensions

Overall, it was a day of progress, which I'm grateful for after how many setbacks my bench press has been suffering.

I decided to do ID for bench press today as the gym is closed on Thursday and Friday this week. It was a strange session.

Bench Press
    300x4
    Same stalled point as last week. I decided to try an experiment by switching my Adidas weightlifting shoes with my flat-soled trainers. The outcome:
    300x5 (PR!)
    WHY? I can't think of any logical reason for why this worked. Needless to say, that last repetition was not a pretty sight, but still.

Multi-Grip Bar Press
    165x5x5
    Felt quite good.

Chin-Ups
    AMRAPx5

1-Board/Spoto Bench Press (Paused)
    225x5 255x5
    275x5 255x5
    255x5

Multi-Grip Close-Grip Triceps Extensions
    95x12x4

Overall, a strange session.

Eh, I was going to do volume squat day today but I spent the better part of last of night ejecting the contents of my stomach; the cause of which I can only speculate to be the eggs I ate for supper. Either way, I woke up this morning feeling a bit better and decided to give it a shot anyway.

Squats
    355x5
    The set itself felt pretty strong but I felt heavily nauseated so I decided to cut it there and bike a bit. Turns out that it didn't help at all so I shut it down completely and went home. I reckon if I didn't feel like hammered shit I would have been able to do 355x5x5 without too much of a hassle. The gym, being closed tomorrow and Friday, should allow me to recover somewhat for Saturday's session. Whether I'll be doing volume squat day or volume bench day is another question that I don't know the answer to. I'll see how I feel.

starting strength coach development program
    It was good to be back in the saddle after 2 days of doing bugger all. I thought it would be best do do volume bench as opposed to volume squats as intensity squats are planned for this Monday. Volume bench was very successful after the problems I've been having with it recently.

Bench Press
    300x5x5
    I decided to adjust my grip just a tad bit narrower. Wow! What a difference! Everything just seemed to fall into place and these went up quite easily.

Dynamic Effort Bench Press (Red Bands)
    170x3x12

Chin-Ups
    AMRAPx5

Multi-Grip Press
    170x5x5
    I felt pretty strong so I decided to do some volume pressing as well.

Close-Grip Machine Rows
    135x10x3

I'm trying to figure out the best way to upload some videos to the log. Hopefully I'll get it done for intensity squats.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast