starting strength gym
Page 15 of 154 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Leah's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Houston is so yucky.
    Agreed. Although we really didn't have time to look around much.

So yes, we'll blame Houston for the not-so-great training I had on Sat. since that's where my flight was delayed and that cost my valuable sleep and food.

10/11/14
    LBBS
    305x1
    315xF Blah, it felt heavy before I started. I was unreasonably freaked out by the weight today.
    310x1
    265x3
    275x3

Called it there. I was incredibly tired.

10/12/14
    House of GainzZz. Jordan was kind enough to let me train there, and it was pretty great to have a training day with the coach. He only has kg plates, and I just told Jordan what I wanted to lift in lbs, and he told me which colors to put on the bar. Haha!

Squat, with belt
    265ish x4
    275x4
    275x4

Bench
    Not really sure here...but it was 5 sets of 4 with the LONGEST pauses ever. Pffft, pray he never becomes a PL ref.

Deadlift, no belt
    265ishx4
    275x4 beltess PR
    265x4
    253x4
    and one more set of 4 at something

I learned a lot during this super long training session too!

10/13/14

GPP/Conditioning
    7 min rows
    7 min abs
    20 min intervals
    some mobility work

How fun that you trained with Dr. GainzZz himself. Sounds like he have you the push you needed that day.

Your lifts have been great of late. I can't wait to see your big numbers from Worlds!

That's awesome you got to lift at Jordan's. It's a sweet little gym! It must have been pretty awesome to get to pick his brain for hours at a time….

Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    House of GainzZz. Jordan was kind enough to let me train there, and it was pretty great to have a training day with the coach. He only has kg plates, and I just told Jordan what I wanted to lift in lbs, and he told me which colors to put on the bar. Haha!

I learned a lot during this super long training session too!
    When we trained at Brute I told him the KGs and he put on the lbs, I could not convert lol

I honestly can't tell you how much I learned from him in a week of training. Some of it stuck too!
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 10-14-2014 at 09:41 AM.

I learned a ton. I also leaned that I lift comparatively very slowly and timidly. :-)

I was the same way. Way too long under tension or whatever he calls it. I've been working speeding reps up ever since.

"Time under tension" is actually bodybuilding technique (not that I know anything about that stuff, but I've come across it in my readings) and is maybe Ok for conditioning but I think it undercuts strength training since you will invariably lift less (due to fatigue). I find when I'm feeling crappy (beat-up, stiff, achy) I lift more slowly and it feels like crap. Mainly on squat and bench-- slow descending velocity which basically tires you for the real work of driving UP. Jordan once commented on my video that I was standing there between reps too long as well. (I was catching my breath!)

My wife tends to dive bomb her warm-ups but when she got above body weight squats suddenly she slowed way down. I'm definitely looking for full control while I maintain an aggressive, confident descend and then a good bounce out of the hole…

Well, Jordan does all his warm up sets WAY more aggressively than I would have ever even thought about lifting. As in I felt like I was just piddling around doing exercise vs. training for something when I watched him . It was a pretty marked difference.

He also really pushed me to just pull my DLs way faster than is my habit.

starting strength coach development program
    10/14/14
    Transmutation week 2 day 2
    Supp Bench 1 sec pause
    Tried to be more deliberate about the pause and full stop
    135x4
    145x4
    155x3
    145x4

LBBS, no belt
    225x4
    235x4
    250x4
    235x4

I skipped my TnG bench in favor of some sleep.