starting strength gym
Page 9 of 154 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Leah's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thank you, Melody and Frederick! I appreciate it! Squats yesterday left me so light-headed, and I'm blaming calorie restriction regardless of how meaningless that might be right now. :-)

9/12/14

Squats, with belt and LOTS of attention to knee slide and not dropping my chest
    255x2
    265x2
    275x2

Deadlifts
    255x2
    275x2
    300x2 PR for the double (vid below)
    290x2

All done with hookgrip instead of reverse grip. I feel like this made it remarkably easier to keep the bar closer, so we shall see.

9/13/14

10 min rows
    Row sprints x8
    10 min abs

9/14/14
    10 min chins
    10 min abs
    Prowler sprints +45kg x10

9/15/14
    Transmutation week 3 day 1

Squats
    305x1 @8
    315x1 @9
    280x2 @7
    290x2 @8
    300x2 @9 PR, totally not expecting to go for 300 today, but everything felt pretty great.
    285x2 @9

Bench
    150x1 @8
    160x1 F in contrast, my bench felt really heavy today and my bar path was wonky on this one
    140x2 @7
    145x2 @8
    150x2 @9
    145x2 @9

1 sec paused bench
    135x3
    140x3
    145x3
    140x3

Nice job today. Are you going to carry on with the hook grip through contest/testing?

I really want to give it a good try. I think I have enough time, just about 8 weeks.

My ability to set my lats and keep that bar against my legs has been abysmal lately. I might be grasping a bit here, but I feel like I need to try something different.

Liked the smile for the PR double on deadlift.

Nice work in here.

Thanks, Karl.

But I was being filmed by the newest sensation, Tom C. himself. It was just destined to be one of my better clips. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    I really want to give it a good try. I think I have enough time, just about 8 weeks.

My ability to set my lats and keep that bar against my legs has been abysmal lately. I might be grasping a bit here, but I feel like I need to try something different.
    Kicking Ass and You're so bloody compliant. Jealous

Have you thought about trying a rolling start? Making that change really helped me lock my lats. I tried to hook grip but my dainty thumbs are too delicate. Hope you have better luck
    Last edited by Lakshmi Meadows; 09-15-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Wrong terminology

Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    I think it's a product of two things; fatigue (you're in week 3 of transmutation) and heavier weights. I go through the same thing when I get to the end of accumulation and start transmutation. FWIW, I feel I can set my back and keep the bar closer with hookgrip too. I find I have to tape up my thumbs with athletic wrap (3M Nexcare Athletic Wrap) though. I tried mixed grip once and did not like it at all, but I have no competitive aspirations.

Looking pretty good Leah!
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 09-16-2014 at 12:20 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmi Meadows View Post
    Kicking Ass and You're so bloody compliant. Jealous

Have you thought about trying a rolling start? Making that change really helped me lock my lats. I tried to hook grip but my dainty thumbs are too delicate. Hope you have better luck
    My compliance is fueled by simple and sheer stubbornness and desperation to.just.make.it.to.this.goal. I think about giving it up probably every 3-4 days.

I haven't thought about changing my start yet. I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm not really sure why I struggle so much to lock them. The hook grip hurts, and I'll try it again today. We'll see how it goes. I sense that Jordan has his reservations about it. But I might be reading too much into his non-excitement over my plan. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    I think it's a product of two things; fatigue (you're in week 3 of transmutation) and heavier weights. I go through the same thing when I get to the end of accumulation and start transmutation. FWIW, I feel I can set my back and keep the bar closer with hookgrip too. I find I have to tape up my thumbs with athletic wrap (3M Nexcare Athletic Wrap) though. I tried mixed grip once and did not like it at all, but I have no competitive aspirations.

Looking pretty good Leah!
    Thanks, Craig. Yes, it was much easier to keep the bar close last week with the hook. Now to see if I can replicate that small miracle.

I am tired, that is true. Transmutation is getting slightly easier each time, so now the feeling of utter exhaustion just comes in occasional waves, sleep is off only now and then (like right now at the end of the block), and thus I don't get nearly as edgy and irritable.

I've got to keep working on fighting it though. With the DL last in a meet, I'm always getting tired by the point. I've got figure out how to push just a bit more and keep tight. If only I could just do that, right?!?!

Page 9 of 154 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast