starting strength gym
Page 25 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Leah's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yes! I'll still go to the gym too, but it's about 30 min away (at least) and sometimes I just really want that time for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    Yes! I'll still go to the gym too, but it's about 30 min away (at least) and sometimes I just really want that time for something else.
    Yea, my wife and I started to discuss cramming an ERG into our small Brooklyn apt. for this very reason. Soon, I'm going to back to the gym that is only a 14 minute walk, so that should help though!

The home gym is pretty great!

12/7/14
    Squat
    250x5x3

Bench-a train wreck due to my idiocy and general lack of benching cares most of the time. Not a great combo today
    136.5x4
    136.5x3
    134.5x4

Rows
    135x3x3

12/8/14

GPP/Conditioning
    Row sprints x12
    7 min abs
    7 min chins

I actually put a lot of effort into this today. I have kind of been slacking...Sprints get insanely boring.

12/9/14
    LP week 3, day 1

Squats
    255x5x3

Press
    82.5x5x3

Power Clean, still a disaster. I think I move faster when I squat about 275 than I do when I try to clean.
    110.5x3x3 that final set of 3 was awful.
    So 83x3x5 just to try to get a little better. I can clean that all day long. Anything over 100# and it's like the bar is trying to kill me.

The sooner people realise Power Clean ability is either given at birth or unobtainable the sooner we will all be happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Derf123 View Post
    The sooner people realise Power Clean ability is either given at birth or unobtainable the sooner we will all be happy...
    I totally agree. I think Jordan just likes to throw those in there to frustrate us and entertain everyone else at the gym.

"What!?!? You do cleans?"
    "I've never seen you do those before?

Sure, I clean if that's what we want to call this. And you saw me do these about 6 months ago, and you had the same witty comment.

I move heavy things slowly. That is clearly my only athletic ability. I love explaining that to people. "What is powerlifting?" I just move bars with weight very slowly-I squat with it, pull it off the ground, and push it off my chest. It's cool though. Really!

What do you have in your home gym, Leah? I just started buying plates on Craigslist in preparation for building a deadlifting platform in the basement. Given our work schedule and the kids and all, I think I need the flexibility a basement gym would provide. It would be for the times when we can't get to the gym or when the gym has a scheduled event (which is happening more frequently now) when I would normally train.

Leah the SS way of power cleaning never worked for me and I thought I sucked at it, then I learned the verboten weightlifter way and it all clicked and made sense and now I'm pretty okay at cleans. I still don't do them, but now I know I can.

starting strength coach development program
    Ed,

I now have a Rogue Monster Lite rack, a Rogue bench, Westside power bar, and Rogue training bumpers. :-) It is so, so helpful to have this here, just for the flexibility. I love my gym, and I'll still go there, but sometimes I really need to extra time and sometimes it is just way too crazy in there. It will likely be obnoxious in Jan.

Melody,
    I think I'm actually just really, really uncoordinated. I did train with a WLer before I blew out my shoulder, but I wasn't really that good then either, but I was a little better. They frustrate me immensely.