starting strength gym
Page 129 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1535

Thread: Leah's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Congrats Leah! It was so fun to watch your lifts. I know it's not your favorite lift but your deadlift was SO much prettier than everyone else's.

Congratulations!

Congrats Leah! I look forward to reading your meet write-up

Great work! Congrats!

Great lifting Leah!! I was awesome watching you lift!!

Congrats congrats congrats!!!

2 snaps 2 claps

Thank you all! I really appreciate the kinds words. Really, really.

Raw Nats 2016 recap

First the nitty-gritty:
    Squat: 140/147.5 MISS!! Three reds for depth and that is the first time that's happened to me/150
    Bench: 75/80/82.5 My bench felt awesome
    Deadlift: 147.5/152.5/157.5 My deadlift did not feel quite so awesome

Now the words-
    Starting Thursday, I was getting sick, nothing earth-shattering, but definitely one of these great, fun full-blown colds. This meant that I had a fairly notable headache, sore throat, earaches, and very little sleep. I only say that to note that lifting weights is not about how we "feel", it's about getting it done. We all lift in plenty of situations that aren't ideal and meets are a prime example of that. When any of us move from training to competing, we are willingly subjecting ourselves to someone else's schedule, the judges, the floor that is covered in chalk and baby powder, the noise, the distractions AND the energy, enthusiasm, and fun. Meets are a unique experience, and we can only worry about what's in our control, leaving an awful lot to just be what it is.

My squats felt just fine, but squatting high on my 2nd attempt was pretty nerve-wracking at that moment. When you walk off and have 60 sec to decide if you're ready to go up and attempt more or play it safe and make sure you don't miss another lift, that's a special kind of lifting stress. I called for the 150, sat down and kicked myself for a few minutes. I had really wanted 152.5, but wasn't sure enough to take it, as moving up to 150 felt like a big enough risk at the moment. Then I had to stop over-thinking it, and start thinking about the 3rd squat and get it done. I was SUPER happy to make that 150 right then.

Bench felt super that day, and I was able to go out for each one with plenty of confidence. I don't think I've ever felt that good about each bench attempts-- ever. That's huge progress!

Deadlifts continue to be the special challenge of my meets. I set up too far ahead of the bar for each one, even though in my head I was trying not to. Thus each pull was slower than it should have been and my back wasn't flat enough. None of them were truly awful, but all of them should have been smoother than they were and I am disappointed that I didn't feel ready to pull 162.5. I am very happy I got all three of the deadlift attempts however! That is good. And when I walked off from that 3rd pull, I was so thrilled and drained all at the same time. I've cried about training before, but I'm pretty sure that this was the first time I've cried when a meet was done. I am that excited to have won. And now when anyone asks how it went, I break out in the biggest smile ever and get to say "I won!" As much as I wanted that for this meet, it's amazing that it all came together.

There are many GREAT things about this meet-I had a wonderful time with good people, I ate great food (including an awesome dinner the night before my session even), I ate even more great food later, I hung out with more great people, I learned more about being a stronger competitor (not just a lifter), I went 8/9, PRed by bench and total, and I won 1st place in the 72 M1 class. I am thrilled with all of that! National team nominations won't come out until Jan this year, but given that I am in fact drug-free, won my class, and know how to follow a coach's instructions, I think I'll get a spot on the team for Belarus in 2017. :-) Like a fellow lifter said, we are saving pennies starting now!

My goals for this meet were-
    1. Win my class
    2. Qualify for the National team
    3. PR on everything (so I get to keep working on this one!)
    4. Have a great time

Three out of four isn't too bad!
    Last edited by Leah Lutz; 10-18-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Fantastic work - sounds like a great experience overall. Very impressive!

starting strength coach development program
    Big congrats Leah! YOU WON! That's so badass.