starting strength gym
Page 3 of 154 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Leah's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    I'm making to move to the competitive log section since I compete and love it. (My old log-http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=37188 )

Here are the relevant details-
    Female, 39, currently in the 165 class and working hard to get to the 148 class (I will whine about this from time to time.)

My first PLing competition was Oct. 2013, and I'm currently competing in the USPA, but planning to compete in the USAPL next year.

I've been working with Jordan Feigenbaum for a really long time. That saintly guy has worked with me through rotator cuff repair surgery, a 60# weight loss, and he's the one who encouraged me to try competing. I have no prior athletic background, so every part of this is new, exciting, and sometimes stressful.

Current maxes (Aug 2014)
    LBBS- 320x1
    Bench-158x1
    Deadlift-320x1
    I can't believe my eyes!!!
    Good to see you on the competition side... because you are certainly a formidable competitor.

Haha, thanks, Sarah!

8/20/14
    Elliptical death intervals
    Chins 4x5 (first time I've made it through 5 sets of 4)

8/21/14
    Squat
    245x4
    255x4
    265x4
    255x4

These were definitely not that great. I would have liked my 9 to have been much higher than this. I ran out of the hotel to the gym because I slept late, forgot coffee and my knee sleeves, and squats just felt off the whole time. I was having a lot of trouble NOT pausing them.

Bench (belt, no wraps, paused)
    130x4
    135x4
    140x4
    135x4

These felt pretty great though!

And then I spent the rest of the day eating great food (IIFYM!), walking all over, and looking at beautiful art and buildings. I had some really incredible food today!

RE: Weight classes. USAPL is moving the IPF (non-standard, Olympic oriented) weight classes next year. There will be no 165 class anymore. However, you won't have to get all the way down to 148-- they'll be using 158 in 2015. They have been using these classes for National Championships already which is why Rori didn't have to cut for Raw Nationals.

Here are the women's weight classes:
    47kg
    52kg
    57kg (125.4)
    63kg (138.6)
    72kg (158.4)
    84kg (184.8)
    84+

The 20 pound and 26 pound jumps are really stupid IMO (percentage-wise and compared to the men's jump), but hey, the IPF decides.

I'm so happy about 138

Hahaha, I should have thought to check this. But I need to compete at the USPA Worlds this Nov. at 148 (well, I want to do it, I don't NEED to.)

Then I guess I can just eat and eat! I think I will die if I try to get to the 138.

So now that I think about these new weight classes, I'm sure Jordan never mentioned this even when I said I'd switch to the USAPL since he knows that the likelihood of me deciding to not move down at all goes way up. :-)

8/22/14
    DB bench because the one bar was being used.
    40 5x3

Deadlifts at 5 am in the hotel fitness club, no coffee, no chalk, had to wear my shoes.

245x4
    255x4
    265x3+1 I was totally losing my grip. No bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    RE: Weight classes. USAPL is moving the IPF (non-standard, Olympic oriented) weight classes next year. There will be no 165 class anymore. However, you won't have to get all the way down to 148-- they'll be using 158 in 2015. They have been using these classes for National Championships already which is why Rori didn't have to cut for Raw Nationals.

Here are the women's weight classes:
    47kg
    52kg
    57kg (125.4)
    63kg (138.6)
    72kg (158.4)
    84kg (184.8)
    84+

The 20 pound and 26 pound jumps are really stupid IMO (percentage-wise and compared to the men's jump), but hey, the IPF decides.
    Hahaha, I should have thought to check this. But I need to compete at the USPA Worlds this Nov. at 148 (well, I want to do it, I don't NEED to.)

Then I guess I can just eat and eat! I think I will die if I try to get to the 138.
    This is crazy! Don't these people know the blood, sweat and tears we go through to get down to particular weight classes?

I guess I should try to figure out how to hold down 74kg, instead of floating more around 76kg cutting for Olympic meets 75kg. Those lower numbers are just so much work..

How has been getting to 148 going, Leah?

Deadlifts at 5 am in the hotel fitness club, no coffee, no chalk, had to wear my shoes.
    There is not a word in this sentence that does not make me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Archenbronn View Post

How has been getting to 148 going, Leah?
    Haha, roughly like this-
    Ok, I can do this! I've lost a lot of weight already. I can do this! I'm not even hungry. Jordan is great.

Next day- I hate this. I want to give up now. Jordan might be the meanest person in the world.

And then I regain my sanity for a little while.

Then it starts all over again.

And I'm hanging out between 155-157 now. Not where I wanted to be by now. But I'll keep chipping away at it.

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    Thank you. I was quite sad as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    Originally Posted by scteacher
    It's amazing that a human could have this kind of fortitude, right? I would have went back to bed at the "deadlifts at 5am" part.

Page 3 of 154 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast