starting strength gym
Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Training to be America's Strongest Organist

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "Slight headache today, so this was harder than it should have been. I normally only get headaches if I'm dehydrated or malnourished. I normally train fasted with BCAA's (it's what I've always done and I've adapted to it), but I'm going to start eating a decent meal before training."

Nick, what would a decent meal look like for you before a workout?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post
    "Slight headache today, so this was harder than it should have been. I normally only get headaches if I'm dehydrated or malnourished. I normally train fasted with BCAA's (it's what I've always done and I've adapted to it), but I'm going to start eating a decent meal before training."

Nick, what would a decent meal look like for you before a workout?
    Well, today I had some Fiber One cereal with whole milk and berries, and a cup of Greek yogurt. There are better options, but I'm kind of a cereal junkie.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Dan Green is a fairly accomplished organist.

His Alkan is breathtaking. Almost as mind-blowing as his squat.

My life is over.

Congrats on beating your goal Nick! I am also hoping for a 1200ish result at my next meet...I haven't nailed down what I want/expect yet.

Also, idk if that woman spotting you on bench was coaching you, but she appeared to be touching the bar quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post

Also, idk if that woman spotting you on bench was coaching you, but she appeared to be touching the bar quite a bit.
    She was just a meet volunteer. My wife (running the camera) actually mentioned that she saw that girl touching the sleeves, and I never specifically looked for it, but it appears she was. I certainly didn't notice in the heat of the moment, and she was spotting all the other benches. From the angle I was sitting while watching, I couldn't see her since the lift off guy would usually move over and block my view of her.

By the way, my log is here if you'd like to follow. It would help to have some eyes on it to keep me motivated.

Woke up this morning bright eyed and optimistic about my first post-meet squat training. Had some fresh ideas on technique that I was excited to experiment with. Little did I know that my body wasn't going to allow it.

Squat
    45x5x2
    135x5
    225x3
    275x2
    315x3 (failed 4), 285x5

Warmups felt fine. Then the 2nd rep of 315 was a little shaky. Then the third rep barely came up. Took a few breaths, then the 4th rep didn't even budge out of the bottom, so I settled it on the safeties. Drenched in sweat. Wanted to die. Stripped all the weight off, reset the bar, put 285 back on, got a drink of water, and tried another set of 5. Felt like a damn avalanche on my back. That was it.

Deadlift
    135x5
    225x5

Nope. That's it. Given that yesterday and especially today were sub-optimal days, and noting that both sleep and nutrition have been good (especially yesterday, I was eating like there was no tomorrow), I can only come to the conclusion that I am a bit under recovered from the stressful weekend. I knew it was optimistic that I would be able to hop right back into another training cycle, but I was hoping that I had enough of the novice effect in me to allow for it. Nope. So, I'll take it easy the rest of this week, learn from my mistakes, and try to get back on the horse next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    .... Had some fresh ideas on technique that I was excited to experiment with.
    What are these fresh ideas of which you speak?

I experienced kind of the same thing after my meet. I think I only had a week between my meet and then I had a SS seminar at Mac and Gillian's a week later. Recoup a few. Grease the gears . .lead in your pencil . .whatever . .

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Just watched your vid. Good meet, man...and you gotta love the Camus quote on the back wall during the deadlift.

Look forward to seeing what happens next time!

Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast