starting strength gym

Thread: Guy's log

Default Guy's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I'm Guy.

45 y/o, married +6 little ones, independent engineer, about 5 years (in total) of serious training.

My first meet was about 5 months ago, and was 1210 (SQ 451, BP 264, DL 495) in the 220 category. Felt easy but got me exhausted and probably injured, and I'm just starting to feel "back in business".

I usually train at home, which is not ideal in many ways but that's how things are right now.

I have the privilege to train a small group of 7 older men and women, 80 to 91 y/o, in a local day center. We do deadlifts and squats once a week. I'm seeing wonders. I'll try to log this here, too.

My programming is a kind of DUP, regulated loosely by RPEs. It's a 3-week rotation going from high rep/low intensity in week 1 to singles in week 3. OHP is done 1/week for 5's without rotation.

Let's start.

7/2/17, week 2, day 1:

SQ 319 3x7 (middle set only 5 of 7)
    BP 209 3x8

Assistance:

Deficit DL (from 5"): 242 3x6
    Zercher SQ singles + 4 BW dips between singles*: 242, 8 reps/8 min

* makes me feel young and tough; hope I'm not wasting my time.

Old guys training, yesterday:

Week 8 of LP.

SA. (91): DL 26 lbs 5,4,-. SQ (air) still above parallel.
    BI. (83): DL 31 lbs 3x5, SQ 3 lbs 3x5 parallel.
    DI. (80): DL 48 lbs 3x5, SQ 6 lbs 3x5 good depth.
    ME. (86): DL 59 lbs 3x5, SQ 6 lbs 3x5 good depth.
    ZI. (?): didn't DL. SQ 3 lbs, good depth.
    EV. (?): Only showed up for the first time. Uses a cane for walking. Can't get up from a chair unassisted. Did "sitting in a low chair and getting up all alone" 3x5. Was amazed she can actually do it.

That's it for now.
    Last edited by Guy; 02-07-2017 at 10:39 AM.

9/2/17, W2, D2
    DL 5s: 385 3x5 (last set RPE ~10...)
    OHP 5s: 182 1x5, 1x3 (darn)... 154 1x5.

Other stuff:

LTE 90 lbs 12,11,9
    Dem curls

01:56

Uppers:
    Coffee, RHCP, Zazopoulos, Thin Lizzy.

Insights:
    Just Showing Up is OK sometimes.

Old guys training, week #9

SA. (91): DL 26 lbs (no improvement). I suspect she might have already reached the post-LP phase (is it possible ? Anyone ?). Squats also do not get deeper. Not much I can do to improve her program because of my limited time and the lack of any equipment. Maybe time to introduce some kind of conditioning as a driver for general improvement. I'll try to get a stationary bike.

BI. (83): DL 36 lbs 1x5 (I reduced sets to just 1 for everybody, because we seem to have started to realy WORK). She is kypotic (most of them are) so straightening is partial. SQ 6 lbs 3x5 under parallel ! She's a trooper.

DI. (80): DL 53 lbs 1x5, SQ 12 lbs 1x5 (lack of time, my fault), parallel. She was tired, I was alarmed.

ME. (86): DL 64 lbs 1x5, SQ 12 lbs 1x5, good depth. He's doing well, although his last reps are done with some shaking of the hands, as usual.

ZI. (?): didn't show up.

EV. (?): didn't show up.

RA. (91): Very similar to SA. DL was 31 lbs. She was sick last week. Hope she gets better.

Notes:
    I'm trying to make an opening for another training session later in the week.
    Sullivan's book is my main reading now and it is a great support.
    Trying all the time to get more equipment (without backing from the facility, it's totally on me).
    Any insights and suggestions would be welcome.
    Last edited by Guy; 02-13-2017 at 08:06 AM.