starting strength gym
Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 1400 Total @ 148?

Default Do Your Damn Front Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    New video is up! It's all about the benefits of front squats, one of my favorite lifts. Let me know what you think. Don't forget to like the video! Thanks for putting up with my shameless self-promotion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giaNDBYNw9s

Default I can jump again, and it feels fucking fantastic

Well it was freezing yesterday, but I got outside and got back to doing those two-legged bounds that I love so much. And I was quite pleased with the result.

Hang PC- 95lbsx3, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 215x3, 195/205/215, 205/215/225

2 leg Bounding- for those who don't know, this is just a series of broad jumps done consecutively, where as soon as I hit the ground I immediately go into the next jump. I'll do anywhere from 3-6 jumps in a series, but usually I like to stick to 5. My PR distance over 5 jumps is 50 feet on the dot from this past summer, but yesterday, after not having jumped at all in about 5 months, I managed to hit a best distance of 49'5" which is not too shabby at all.

I like to do these by doing 3 sets at a time, where I increase the "intensity" with each set. So one "set" is really 3 series of 5 jumps done with about 3 seconds rest in between them. E.g. yesterday I did:

Set 1: 5@70%, 5@(80%, 5@90%
    Set 2: 5@80%, 5@90%, 5@95%
    Set 3: 5@85%, 5@95%, %@98@
    Set 4: 5@85%, 5@95%, 5@100%
    Set 5: 5@85%, 5@95%, 5@100%

75 total jumps. More than I had planned to do, but I was happy with how they were going so I kept going. I paid the price today though: I am sore as hell. Everywhere. Calves, hamstrings, glutes, abs, even my quads are sore as fuck from absorbing all that impact. But that's pretty legit for not having jumped in so long, ad i honestly wouldn't be surprised if I destroyed my old PR in the next few weeks.

After this I tried deadlifting. I went up to 405 which was incredibly easy, but I felt enough pain to decide that going higher would be ill advised. Just have to be patient...

Default 405lbs Front Squat - haven't squatted in 2 months

Well last night I tried front squatting again after I did my power cleans. I wore the wraps and I descended very slowly to ensure that I wouldn't aggravate the injury. But as for the squatting itself, it didn't hurt. So I kept adding weight to the bar. Though I can tell that the area still isn't quite "right," so all I did was like 5 sets working up to the single with 405. My plan now is to front squat once a week with a very low volume like this. I'll continue to do shrugs the other 2 lower body days. I'm hoping that this will allow me not only to maintain my squatting strength, but also to re-strenthen the area as long as I'm smart enough not to overdo it.

Hang PC- 95lbsx5, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 215x3, kinda meh today so I stopped here

Front squat- 135x5, 225x3, 275x1, 315x1, 365x1, 405x1

This 405 was actually really easy. I went completely kyphotic and it was ugly as sin, but it was really easy. For reference, my best unwrapped FS is 420. But I haven't squatted in 2 months, I was descending into the hole approximately at the rate of molasses, and my form was terrible, so overall I am happy with this for right now. I just need to not be overzealous and make sure I take my time and easeeee back into the frequency. This is not my strong suit and i have a tendency to be my own worst enemy. But if I do things right I see no reason why a 450 front squat wouldn't be in my somewhat near future.

That's a big front squat. How big of a carry over do you figure all those power cleans and shruggies are contributing to your front squat? I never feel as if I can't get out of the hole, just that I lack the core and upper back stability to remain upright.

Quote Originally Posted by afatgoat View Post
    That's a big front squat. How big of a carry over do you figure all those power cleans and shruggies are contributing to your front squat? I never feel as if I can't get out of the hole, just that I lack the core and upper back stability to remain upright.
    I would wager that they've been quite helpful. I have the same problem as you in that I miss front squats due to upper back weakness. Both the shrugs and the power cleans contribute to upper back strength so I'm sure they've helped me maintain my front squat. I was legitimately surprised I was able to do this yesterday, but 315 felt like an empty bar so I kept going.

The trick now will be to build my front squat back up because increases in my front squat have a huge carryover to my back squat.

I've never front squatted with the wraps before so it will be interesting to see if they will help me create an overload effect on the upper back and subsequently increase the degree of carryover to my back squat. One can hope!

Default 405 Front Squat video

Here's the video of the front squat I hit last night. You can see my form is not there yet as my upper back folds over immediately. With some practice I should be able to add to this lift relatively quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtAWN7RFlMk

Default Close grip bench 5 rep PR

Close grip bench(paused) - 230lbs x 5 (PR), 4,4,3,3,3,3,3 (28 total rep)
    Chins (bw+90lbs) - 3,3,3,3,3
    Dips(bw+120lbs)- 5,5,5,5,5

Solid work tonight. Pressing strength is increasing slowly but steadily. I'm really hoping to turn this into a big bench PR.

Default How To Front Squat!

New video is up on my channel. It's a follow up to my last video where I talked about all the benefits of front squats. This time I give an in depth tutorial on how to do a perfect front squat. A lot of the info is probably a bit elementary for you guys, but I'd appreciate it if you could give it a watch and let me know what you think. Don't forget to like it on Youtube! I'm gonna go train now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRHP4j7jR4

New unwrapped WR at 148 from KK did you see?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    New unwrapped WR at 148 from KK did you see?
    I did not. By KK do you mean Kyle Keough? What'd he hit?

Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast