starting strength gym
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Kitten Time!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    I'm not saying it's the best thing for max pulls, but I can say I'm liking it so far. Even though common logic would dictate that pulling with a heel is dumb, I'm going to keep going as I approach my max and see if I still love it. A lot of strong dudes pull in shoes, and it's very possible that the stability and mechanics could override the 3/4" deficit. Also, is it really like a 3/4" deficit since that is on an incline slope?
    Well, Rip likes it. I don't personally, but you're not alone in your preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Well, Rip likes it. I don't personally, but you're not alone in your preference.
    Well, bear in mind it's still an experiment at this point. I don't know if I've ever pulled over 500 in any shoe other than my chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Yeah, I've tossed around a few ideas as to what makes a lifter do better in heeled shoes vs. flats somewhere on the boards in the past, and can't say I've solved anything.

But I suspect shorter-legged/longer-torsoed guys seem to get stuck more off the floor, and that the shoes help them get it moving off the floor. And that longer-legged/shorter-torsoed guys who get stuck past the knees find shoes take poundage off the bar. For me, it's 30-40# difference. So as a member of the latter group I try to train both, but obviously I compete in thin, flat-soled shoes.

Les, shoes have greatly improved my lockout. I think its partly because the shoes indirectly improve my starting position a little AND partly because once the bar is past my knees and I'm extending my hip, I can "lean back" harder without fear for getting too much on my heels. The solid heel (and possibly the incline) stops me from feeling like I'm going to fall backward. When I went shoeless, it always felt like I was going to fall back if I pulled harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Les, shoes have greatly improved my lockout. I think its partly because the shoes indirectly improve my starting position a little AND partly because once the bar is past my knees and I'm extending my hip, I can "lean back" harder without fear for getting too much on my heels. The solid heel (and possibly the incline) stops me from feeling like I'm going to fall backward. When I went shoeless, it always felt like I was going to fall back if I pulled harder.
    Yeah, I totally remember when I first switched to a flat shoe (or actually no shoes), and I remember almost falling backward the first time. Very interesting observation about the leg/torso ratio, Dwayne.

Thanks for the info guys! I have been pulling in my oly shoes for assistance DL day, and it does seem like I can set up better when pulling the bar off the floor (e.g. it stays a little closer to my legs it seems). I will have to try really leaning back and see if that helps on my lockout, which is really my weak spot. Baby powder helps for meets, but I try to not use it all the time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Baby powder helps for meets, but I try to not use it all the time.
    Hey Les, I was thinking about this. I know some people who always use the powder for maximum attempts and rep maximum attempts. I tend to use it a lot on comp dead days when the percentages are getting up there maybe as a mental thing. I also like to wear my singlet on heavy squat and dead days. On supplemental days, its regular gym clothes and minimal other stuff for me.

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on baby powder and why you refrain from its use.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718