starting strength gym
Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikhil's Competitive Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sorry to hear about all the trouble man. Shit really hit the fan...
    Anyways, look at it on the bright side: you still put your work in the gym. This situation will pass, and soon you'll forget about it.

Ick. Huge bummer about the apartment situation. Like Rezart was saying, this will pass. One of those big bumps in the road.

Saturday, December 20th, 2014
    Bodyweight: ??
    Drove to SBWC to grab my shoes/belt, trained at Powerhouse

Beltless Squat
    245 (255?) x 5

Bench Press (TnG)
    155 x 5, 175 x 5

Notes:
    Everything still feels shitty, although I think it's more a feeling of malaise and unhappiness that's impeding my training. Powerhouse is not the gym for me - it took me warming up to 225 before some random giant dude decided to interrupt me between sets to tell me not to lean forward so much. I tried the "It's the way I compete" card but no luck. Is this what it's like to be a woman in a commercial gym? Just random men telling you what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Rezart Erindi View Post
    Sorry to hear about all the trouble man. Shit really hit the fan...
    Anyways, look at it on the bright side: you still put your work in the gym. This situation will pass, and soon you'll forget about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    Ick. Huge bummer about the apartment situation. Like Rezart was saying, this will pass. One of those big bumps in the road.
    Thanks guys, I'm trying to keep my head up. Luckily there's no way the apartment stuff can get any worse - it's clearly not my fault so I'm sure it'll all eventually work out.

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    Everything still feels shitty, although I think it's more a feeling of malaise and unhappiness that's impeding my training. Powerhouse is not the gym for me - it took me warming up to 225 before some random giant dude decided to interrupt me between sets to tell me not to lean forward so much. I tried the "It's the way I compete" card but no luck. Is this what it's like to be a woman in a commercial gym? Just random men telling you what to do?
    Yeah, I think that is what it's like. The good news is, the more weight you lift the fewer people will bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    Yeah, I think that is what it's like. The good news is, the more weight you lift the fewer people will bother you.
    Fair point, all the more reason to get stronger. Luckily next week I should be nicely recovered and so I should be squatting in the 300s again comfortably.

Powerhouse is not the gym for me - it took me warming up to 225 before some random giant dude decided to interrupt me between sets to tell me not to lean forward so much. I tried the "It's the way I compete" card but no luck. Is this what it's like to be a woman in a commercial gym? Just random men telling you what to ?.
    Haha, pretty much! So much fun.

Wait...so you drove to Syosset to train after getting your belt and shoes in Brooklyn? I'm confused as to why you didn't just train in Brooklyn.

Sorry to hear about the poopy apartment.

When I read about globo stories or get told them, I get concerned about what would happen if my gym ever closed. I guess I'd be full time in the basement. Solo Dolo.

Monday, December 22nd, 2014
    Bodyweight: I need to buy a scale

Competition Squat
    275 x 6 @ 8.5
    285 x 6 @ 8
    290 x 1 @ I almost threw up in my mouth
    275 x 6 x 2 (5% off 290)
    E1RM: 360 lbs

Competition Bench
    165 x 6 @ 7
    175 x 4 @ 8.5
    175 x 5 @ 8.5 (Jesus)
    165 x 3
    165 x 4
    E1RM: 213.4 lbs
    C'mon son.

3ct Paused Bench
    135 x 5 @ 7
    145 x 5 @ 8
    155 x 5 @ 9
    E1RM: 184.5 lbs

Notes:
    Can't explain the squatting. I think it was a mixture of more caffeine that I'm used to, using Red Bull to get to 200 mg (20 oz) + whatever water for my BCAAs, the water I drank during my warm ups, and a tight belt. I guess a liter of water + squats + more water = not smart. I'll need a more concentrated form of caffeine me thinks. OR just sip it and not try to crank the belt as tight.

The benching was weird too - my 3ct benching actually felt easier because I removed leg drive and I didn't slide on the benches. I forgot to bring chalk, so I blame myself for this one, but I'll be smarter. Anywho, decent volume for gross rep ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Wait...so you drove to Syosset to train after getting your belt and shoes in Brooklyn? I'm confused as to why you didn't just train in Brooklyn.

Sorry to hear about the poopy apartment.

When I read about globo stories or get told them, I get concerned about what would happen if my gym ever closed. I guess I'd be full time in the basement. Solo Dolo.
    Good question. I drove FROM Jericho (right next to Syosset) to Brooklyn, then back to Syosset. I was going to train at SBWC but the drive did a number on my back and I really wanted to have a good training day. I am not a smart person, apparently. Maybe I was making excuses though to delay training, I'll admit that last week I just didn't have any motivation to train. But I got some kinda-good-news about the apartment situation so I was able to train today with a clearer head.

And yes - globo gyms are a necessary evil. I'm currently thinking I'll save every penny I can, buy a place in Brooklyn with a basement, and make my own basement gym. Time will tell.

Wednesday, December 24th, 2014
    Bodyweight: No idea still.

Competition Deadlifts
    315 x 6 @ ez-pz
    355 x 3
    355 x 2
    355 x 3.5
    no knurling on the bar at all so it kept slipping after a couple of reps, but bar speed definitely left me thinking I could have pulled 6 @ 9. Had that been true, E1RM of 438

Close Grip Bench Press
    155 x 7
    145 x 7 x 2
    These were supposed to be 10s but I can't read.

Tempo Squats (3-0-3)
    185 x 10 @ 7.5
    205 X 10 @ 9
    195 X 10 (5%)
    GROSS

Notes:
    Not a great day for deadlifts for accumulating volume, but bar speed was promising. A couple of competitive powerlifters were training at Powerhouse and tried to "help" me during deadlifts ("HEAD UP! CRANK YOUR NECK BACK!") but we still made small talk despite my unwillingness to accept their help. They seem to train Conjugate-y and offered to let me squat with them Saturdays, buuuut my forward lean will likely give them heart attacks. I actually have some supplementary income coming in soon, so I MAY furnish my parents with a home gym since I'm here at least one weekend a month and likely will be trapped here for a few months until the apartment stuff works out.

Other than that - meh. I misread my protocol for CGBP unfortunately. Also...I hate tempo squats (because they're hard). I hate high rep sets (because they're hard). I hate tempo squats for 10s.

Merry Christmas Eve everyone! Time for me to stare longingly at my mom's homemade fruitcake and count my macros.

starting strength coach development program
    Not a great day for deadlifts for accumulating volume, but bar speed was promising. A couple of competitive powerlifters were training at Powerhouse and tried to "help" me during deadlifts ("HEAD UP! CRANK YOUR NECK BACK!") but we still made small talk despite my unwillingness to accept their help. They seem to train Conjugate-y and offered to let me squat with them Saturdays, buuuut my forward lean will likely give them heart attacks. I actually have some supplementary income coming in soon, so I MAY furnish my parents with a home gym since I'm here at least one weekend a month and likely will be trapped here for a few months until the apartment stuff works out.
    I think their heads will explode when they watch you squat.

Have a nice Christmas!

Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast