starting strength gym
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Bickford's Log - Raw PL & Musings

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MattimusMaximus View Post
    Hey I thought I recognized your name from the Seattle Seminar 2015, is that you? If it is, congrats on gaining the starting strength coach certification. You're a beast under the bar!
    Hey, thanks man! I have a ton to work on as a lifter and a coach. How's your training going?

I've been failing to post for a while. I'm now using a desktop as my primary computer, so hopefully it will improve my ability to type as well as my posting frequency. I did a two meets recently about 4 weeks apart. Didn't really go as hard as I would have liked to in either of them but I only missed two lifts at both meets combined and set some PRs that I was satisfied with. I was originally planning on going to raw nationals this year, but it's damn close to the SSCA conference, and I can't miss the conference. I've settled in on going to the meet in Reno in early December instead. It's at the some hotel as the American Open for weightlifting (more fun to watch than PL), so there should be ample lifting to watch all weekend. Until then, I have a Texas Method style program mapped out. I'm gonna spend some extra time hammering my bench and press. I'm piss poor at both of them, so it's high time I take ownership over them. For now, I'm lifting three days per week with 3 prowler sessions. I might end up spreading it out over 3 days if the sessions get a bit lengthy, but I'd honestly rather not. My best training has always been when I was on the three day split with a squat, press, and pull each day (sound familiar?).

Monday 6/29

Press: 3x5x135
    Paused Bench: 3x4x245
    Squat: 5x5x435

No pulls today to give my SI joint a break following the meet on Saturday

Wednesday 7/1

Press: 3x5x137.5
    Paused Bench: 3x5x247.5
    Squat: 2x5x365
    Chin: 2x5xBW+10

Friday 7/3

Press:
    3x5x140

Paused Bench:
    3x5x250

Squat:
    1x5x485 (PR)

Notes:
    I will certainly have to move this to a M/W/F/S template. As opposed to going upper/lower slip I'm going to do squat on monday and friday, and pulls on wednesday and saturday to break up my work and bit. I'm gonna bench and press on all four days to crank up my frequency. I freaking smoked my 5rm squat on Friday. All of the reps felt quick and my bar path stayed consistent.

Press:
    3x5x142.5

Paused Bench:
    3x5x252.5

Squat:
    5x5x415

Notes:
    Building back up the bench and the press. I'm doing a little LP with my paused bench in hopes of getting up even with my T'n-G.

Press:
    3x5x145

Paused Bench:
    3x5x255

Light Squat:
    2x5x335

Power Shrug:
    8's up to 495x8

Everything went well. Gonna take a swing at squatting 495x5 on intensity day Friday.

Hey, you're in my hometown. You'll have to let me know where to train when I visit next year.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Hey, you're in my hometown. You'll have to let me know where to train when I visit next year.
    Actually, it's my hometown as well!

starting strength coach development program
    Friday 7/10/15

Press:
    3x5x147.5

Bench:
    3x5x260

Squat Intensity:
    1x5x495

Notes:
    Although I'm not in PR territory yet for bench or press, increasing the frequency and volume on both of them feels great. I have high hopes of breezing through my old 3x5 PRs in a couple weeks. Squat intensity day went well. Squats were fast. Most likely under an 8 RPE.
    Last edited by Matt Bickford; 07-11-2015 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Formatting

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast