Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Got2Squat Trying to Pick up Heavy Stuff

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    Monday 5/16/2016

Cardio

Haha. Hahahaha. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

5 minutes or so on elliptical. 5 minutes or so on bike. Wasn't getting out of breath or working up a sweat, so decided to jog. Made it .1 mile or so before my legs started cramping. Walked a bit. Tried to run some more @ 10 min mile pace. Total distance running and walking was about a half mile. Pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cardio? Are you crazy? You're going to lose all your strength immediately.

Actually, RTS wants me to do a little cardio. I think it helps a bit with the soreness.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    Cardio? Are you crazy? You're going to lose all your strength immediately.

Actually, RTS wants me to do a little cardio. I think it helps a bit with the soreness.
    Cardio - that was hilarious! I know the feeling. I did my cardio when I cut the lawn on Sunday...maybe I'll attempt something later this week.

So I had decided to hit 8's again today on squats so that I don't have too many days between training sessions....buuuuut....my stupid calves are absolutely destroyed from the pathetic .1 mile that I ran on Monday on a treadmill at a lethargic senior citizen pace of 6 mph(10-11 min mile). Total running, split up by a few minutes of walking, was like .2 miles at most. What in the total hell. I'll warm up on squats and see if my calves can take it but the session is going to be a bitch under ideal circumstances. John Hanley told me 8's are great. Starting to question his sincerity. If I can't go heavy today I'll do something like 2x5 light then hit them again Friday.

Regarding running...I either need to work some more in, or not do it at all ever again. By running, I'm not saying marathons or sprints. I just though I would jog a mile for a bit of cardio. It actually does bother me some that I am not capable of running a mile at a slow pace. Powerlifting is obviously my main focus but I want to also maintain a base, general athletic ability. It is definitely time, after almost two years of lifting with no cardio or conditioning at all, to work some conditioning into my programming.

Good news. Calf soreness did not affect squats at all. Had a good session and will log after a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wednesday 5/18/2016
    201 lbs.

Today was a good training day.

Squat: TM 445, Rx=310x8x4
    315x8x4 @7,7,7,8 Almost threw on 330 for the last set to hit a 5lb PR but decided to just stick to the program since I was technically already 5 lb over Rx.

Press:
    155x5 +5 lb PR Pretty smooth set. Hard and no reps in the tank, but not a terrible grinder.
    140x5x4 Have to figure out exactly how I want to progress on this lift. Might try 155x5x2 next time, then 3x5, then attempt 160x5 for top set. 4 week cycle to increase top set by 5 lbs.

Chins: time to add these back in. It's been way too long since I've given these any attention
    BW+35x7,7,6

Cardio!
    Rowing machine(C3?)
    I'm not sure what all this means, so maybe someone can translate. I feel like I took it fairly easy just to feel things out.
    15 minutes
    2,847m
    Avg watts 87
    39 s/m no idea what this means.

I felt like this was a pretty good 15 minutes of LISS. Was pretty easy and gives me a baseline to work off of.

Friday 5/20/2016

Bench: 1RM attempt if everything feels good
    w/u to 260x1 slow and heavy, so:
    225x8,8,8,6

Deadlift: Rx = 465x3 for PR attempt
    w/u to 430x1 slow and heavy, so decided to drop for volume:
    385x1 20 lbs below last weeks back off sets, slow and heavy, called it.

1) Not recovered from Wednesday's 4x8 squats? Hams/glutes/low back weren't feeling great
    2) Not recovered from Wednesday's cardio/rowing?(first cardio in 22 months)
    3) Not recovered from Wednesday's weighted chins? Haven't done them in a while
    4) Combination of the above?
    5) Just an off day?

No biggie, I'll attempt 465x3 next week; squats and deads will be back on normal schedule

Press:
    135x5 These should have been light for sets of 6-8, felt horrible

Triceps:
    70x12
    80x12

Dumbell rows:
    125's x 8
    135's x 8x2

Tested conditioning today with C2 rower:
    2000m: 8:42 Baseline established. Not really sure how good, bad, or terrible this is.

Wednesday 5/18/2016
    201 lbs.

Today was a good training day.

Squat: TM 445, Rx=310x8x4
    315x8x4 @7,7,7,8 Almost threw on 330 for the last set to hit a 5lb PR but decided to just stick to the program since I was technically already 5 lb over Rx.

Press:
    155x5 +5 lb PR Pretty smooth set. Hard and no reps in the tank, but not a terrible grinder.
    140x5x4 Have to figure out exactly how I want to progress on this lift. Might try 155x5x2 next time, then 3x5, then attempt 160x5 for top set. 4 week cycle to increase top set by 5 lbs.

Chins: time to add these back in. It's been way too long since I've given these any attention
    BW+35x7,7,6

Cardio!
    Rowing machine(C3?)
    I'm not sure what all this means, so maybe someone can translate. I feel like I took it fairly easy just to feel things out.
    15 minutes
    2,847m
    Avg watts 87
    39 s/m no idea what this means.

I felt like this was a pretty good 15 minutes of LISS. Was pretty easy and gives me a baseline to work off of.
    The 37 s/m is strokes per min.pretty sure

So I had decided to hit 8's again today on squats so that I don't have too many days between training sessions....buuuuut....my stupid calves are absolutely destroyed from the pathetic .1 mile that I ran on Monday on a treadmill at a lethargic senior citizen pace of 6 mph(10-11 min mile). Total running, split up by a few minutes of walking, was like .2 miles at most. What in the total hell. I'll warm up on squats and see if my calves can take it but the session is going to be a bitch under ideal circumstances. John Hanley told me 8's are great. Starting to question his sincerity. If I can't go heavy today I'll do something like 2x5 light then hit them again Friday.

Regarding running...I either need to work some more in, or not do it at all ever again. By running, I'm not saying marathons or sprints. I just though I would jog a mile for a bit of cardio. It actually does bother me some that I am not capable of running a mile at a slow pace. Powerlifting is obviously my main focus but I want to also maintain a base, general athletic ability. It is definitely time, after almost two years of lifting with no cardio or conditioning at all, to work some conditioning into my programming.
    Maybe stay away from the mile runs and the 9:00 min 2000m rowing sessions.

Shit may/is interfere with your hard heavy BB training.
    That's what 'they' say around here ya know.

Maybe do the HIIT rower thing....25-30 sec balls to the wall...1:30 barely row to keep the computer on....6-8 rounds.

Or do super easy low int stuff....brisk walk up hill on treadmill for 30-45 min

Getting work done

starting strength coach development program
    Monday 5/23/2016

Squat: Rx=360x max reps, then 365x3x5
    360x8@9, PR (+1 rep)
    365x3x5 rest times 1,2,3,3 minutes

Light Deadlift: 73%x5x3
    365x5x3 experimenting to see if doing light conventional deadlifts rather than a deadlift variation works for me.

Bench and accessory tomorrow

Not that I fully trust the conversion of 8's to a 1 rep max, but 360x8 comes out to an e1rm of 456. My goal for this cycle will be to hit 455 in about 3 weeks.
    Last edited by BarryF; 05-23-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast