starting strength gym
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Got2Squat Trying to Pick up Heavy Stuff

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Came down with a MRSA infection on my right index finger. Have not lifted since squatting on 8/9. Surgery tomorrow to clean things up. I'm going to start squatting again. Tried today for the first time and I don't think it will aggravate my hand/finger.

Squat:
    45x10x2
    135x5
    225x5
    275x5
    315x5x2 (70%) I'd like to hit it again Monday and ramp up a little more.

Lifted at home and had my son load/unload all the plates.

Wednesday 8/24/2016

Squat:
    w/u to 315x1
    335x5
    345x5
    355x5
    365x5@9 Not terrible. Going to jump back in now, twice a week on squats.

Might try benching Friday.

Sunday 8/28/2016

Squat:
    365x5x3 Keeping volume a little low. Getting woozy/lightheaded....maybe something to do with my blood pressure being really high from the antibiotics I'm on?

Bench:
    225x5x3 Same here, keeping volume low and no crazy intensity yet.

Deadlift: Still on orders not to lift, push, or pull more than five pounds with my right hand for another week, so:
    225x5
    315x5
    365x5 all DOH w/straps to take the strain off my right finger/hand. All very easy.

Tuesday 8/30/2016

Press:
    135x5,5,5,7

Wednesday 8/31/2016

Bench:
    230x5x4

Thursday 9/1/2016

Squat:
    w/u to 315x1 Couldn't get past an odd pain in my right leg. Causing me to descend very slowly and carefully and sort of pause at the bottom, even on the last warmup, so postponing for a day or two.

Deadlift: DOH w/ straps to keep some pressure off my right hand/finger, which is still healing from a MRSA infection and surgery. These felt a little awkward, and I think I was letting the bar drift out in front of me for most of them. More strain on lower back than usual. For the last set, I set up closer to the bar and focused on sitting back more, and it felt the best of all the sets.
    w/u to 405x1
    415x5
    425x5x3, last set @8. Little bit of a 3x5 deadlift PR. Good to see that my deadlift does not appear to have detrained. I don't think my squat is off much either. Might take a few weeks to get bench and press back on track though.

I tried the 2nd set of 425 without straps with a mixed grip and chalk, and it felt REALLY lousy on my injured hand. I was pretty much completely focused on my hand the whole time, which is not good. Did four reps than strapped up for the 5th.

Friday 9/2/2016

Press:
    140x5x5 These were not easy, so have detrained some on the press. PR is 155x5x3 and 160x5 about two months ago. Shouldn't take too long to work back up. Two months until the fall meet.

Bench:
    205x6,6,6,6,6,8 This was week 1, day 1 of Smolov Jr Bench program I started before taking three weeks off for my hand. 3 minute rest intervals, and after 5x5 press, so not bad.

Chins:
    arms/elbows felt like dirt on these so skipped.

Skullcrushers:
    65x5 felt terrible
    55x5 also terrible. Been a long time since I've tried these. I remember why.

Narrow grip pushups:
    BWx5,20,20 I think this will be my go to pump work for tri's.

Going to try squatting tomorrow if my low back is recovered enough from deads. I think I'm just going to hammer volume for 4-5 weeks with a bunch of 5x5 type stuff around 80%, then run out Candito for 4 weeks to peak for the Fall Classic.

I have done very close to zero conditioning work in the 2 years I have been training, so I figured I might as well keep track of what I am doing in that regard. Wife has decided to start jogging, so I am going with her for support, and as a way to add in some conditioning for my own benefit. I have mild asthma, but was quite severe when I was younger. When I joined the military, I was forced to run on a daily basis for two years. This made a dramatic improvement in my asthma symptoms, although it is still induced at times by certain allergies. I have never enjoyed running, but doing it every day, perhaps coupled with my competitive nature, made me reasonably good at it. I managed to run two miles in 11:07, which is a pretty good clip for an asthmatic non runner.

Today's work was an interval run. We did 1 minute jogs followed by 1:30 walk for 8 intervals, around 1.8 miles total.

On another note, I have quite a few life changing events currently happening. Not sure if this is of much interest to anyone, but I think it can be interesting to see what is going on in peoples lives outside of training. For those not familiar with me, I am 45, married, father of 3. I completed around 3 years of an engineering degree but never finished it for various reasons. As such, I have never had an official, education backed "career." This has caused several profession changes due to various reasons, such as the economy crashing when I was in retail and sales, and most recently, a huge decline in the natural gas industry which has left me in a very unstable work environment. I was able to put my wife through school and she now has a two year degree as a medical lab tech and passed her boards earlier this year. She has been working part time for almost a year since graduation and is starting a full time job at the hospital within walking distance from our house. This gives her a nice pay increase, of course more hours, and a large reduction in travel expenses. My oldest two children are twins, and they just started college this year! So the past two weeks have been getting them off to school.

About a year ago, I was giving thought to what I wanted to do in order to have a more secure future that is not so subject to the whims of the economy or market conditions. Finishing my engineering degree was one consideration, but it has literally been decades since I have looked at calculus, physics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, etc etc. Not the subjects one stays up on when you aren't working with it daily. So I decided to pursue something in the medical field for the stability, work environment(indoors, heated, cooled, clean), and quality of life(40 hour work weeks instead of 70-100). The fact that one can literally find employment in every town or city in the entire country was also appealing as we plan to move after I graduate. I wanted something that required a short course of study since I am not getting any younger but would yield good pay and job opportunities. Since January, I have been finishing up(on line) the few courses I needed in order to complete all the prerequisites needed to apply for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program(ultrasound) while still working full time. All spots in the program were of course filled, but I put myself on the waiting list while I finished up the coursework. Entrance into the program is competitive based on GPA, and I ended up with a 4.0 in all the prerequisites, much of which I completed many years ago, and the rest just in the last couple of years. The result was that if any spot opened up due to anyone not starting the program for whatever reason, I would be almost guaranteed acceptance. On the first day of classes, I got a phone call informing me that someone did not start, and that I was accepted into the program.

So long story short, in our household of 5, we now have 3 full time college students, myself included. I have been out of work on sick leave for 3 weeks due to the MRSA infection on my right finger. When I return to work on Tuesday, I will have to find out if they are willing to work around my schedule, which is only three days a week currently. My hope is that I can continue to work full time(40 hours) at least until the end of this semester. I have a light course load as I have previously completed two of the courses normally scheduled for the first semester of the program.

So there we go. Pretty major changes happening in my life. I should graduate in 21 months, at which point I will most likely be looking for employment in a new city(the plan is Philadelphia). I will probably also have to quit my job by the end of the year, if they even allow me to remain employed until then. In the mean time, I plan to continue training for strength in the most optimal manner possible. I would love to get some coaching at some point but will likely have to continue muddling through with my own programming choices until at least after I graduate.

I will be competing in the Fall Classic in Greensburg, PA on October 29th. Training wise, I have some big goals coming up that, to me, will be huge accomplishments and will mark some very satisfying achievements, especially considering real life, age, length of time training, etc etc. I have not hit the goals yet, but I am very motivated and fully plan to achieve them within the next year or less as long as I stay healthy and uninjured. These goals will be a 315 bench, 500 lb squat, and 585 lb deadlift. As we all know, these goals will come and go and be replaced with new ones as soon as they happen, but with a couple of years under the bar behind me, these seem like goals that will leave me with a sense that I accomplished something on the extraordinary side. Then it will be time for the hard work to start.
    Last edited by BarryF; 09-03-2016 at 08:23 AM.

Warmed up on squats today. Intention was 365x5x5, which is around 80% 1RM. Nothing earth shattering, just some standard volume. However, my back is still pretty fried from Thursday's deads as I may have pushed a bit too much after not pulling heavy for three weeks. Also, my right knee is bothering me a bit. Probably going to have to limit my running to once a week until I can tolerate it....I'm not going to let it interfere with my squats. Instead of having a lousy session with light weights, I'm taking another day for recovery, and then I'll get a good quality session in. I tried warming up for press but it was a no go as well. Tomorrow will be a big session: Squat, press, chins, and probably bench.

starting strength coach development program
    Monday 9/5/2016

Squat: It's been 8 days since I squatted last. I am back on track now...twice/week.
    365x5x3 Much harder than this should have been. Last set @9. I think I'll go 335x5x3 Friday for medium before deadlifts, then try 365 again next week for 4-5 sets depending on feels. Hopefully ramp up from there before tapering for the Fall Classic.

Press: Prioritizing this currently
    145x5,5,5,5,6 up 5 lbs from last time and felt easier.

Bench:
    225x5,5,5,5,7

Chins:
    These were hard, I think I was just tired.
    BWx10,8,7

Narrow grip pushups:
    BWx25x2

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast