starting strength gym
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: Got2Squat Trying to Pick up Heavy Stuff

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    I doubt I'll do a very good job of being at my 100% potential for the meet, but I think my lifts should go up a fair amount regardless, other than the squat. I'm guessing I should add at least 20 lbs to my press, 25-50 to the deadlift, and maybe 10-20 on squat unless I perform better than expected. How about you? I know you are only working up to openers though.
    Those would still be pretty big improvements on your numbers. Yeah, I'm definitely ready.

good luck this weekend...be sure to post about your experience.

Boom. Just hired Andy Baker to help me out with programming.

Are you going all in for full program development or a 1 hour Consult?

Just the 1 hour consult for now. Have to be careful with the budget....I just cut my income in half going to school full time, and my twins both just started college this semester as well...both staying on campus at good schools(i.e. not cheap). I'm hoping this will be enough to get me moving in the right direction for a while until I can hopefully go in for the full deal next year.

I have considered his 1 hour consult myself, when I get stuck .It seems like an excellent value especially if you have an established training history.

Well, I'll try to post some honest feedback regarding the consult...I'm really looking forward to getting some knowledgeable guidance. First impression, and this might seem minor or unimportant. Immediately after purchasing the consult, I got a couple of email replies(automated type) welcoming me and verifying payment. To me this is already a good sign. Kinda like, hey, we're here, we got your money, got your order. Just a small detail that seems professional.

Sunday 10/30/2016

Fall Classic in Greensburg PA

Squat:
    410 good/440 miss/440 good. Had a little pause and dip on 2nd attempt but went up quick. 3rd attempt was smooth. May have been capable of 450 on this day, so not far off of a perfect attempt. However, this illustrates my lack of progress this year on squat. I hit 435 in training in January, then again at the April SS meet. My PR is 455 in training. I feel like I should be closing in on 5 plates by now. Hopefully Andy gets me on track.

Press:
    165 good/175 good/ 180 miss. 180 went up fine but I didn't lock out quite enough. I think I have mild rheumatoid arthritis in my right elbow, which means I have to very forcefully lockout my right elbow or it stays slightly bent. I definitely had the strength to put this up nice and smooth. Failing the lift was just a technical error so I'm OK with this result: the strength is there. I have done 185 in training but my right shoulder is still feeling a bit wonky and I wanted to avoid an all out max effort grinder. I think you can actually see the soft lockout on the 175 that passed...it was worse on the 180.

Deadlift:
    500 good/525 good/530 fail. Used up all my strength on the 525. It went up smooth but was hard enough that I was pretty sure I was done. Once I deadlift close to my limit I am usually unable to pull again. 15 lb PR and up 50 lbs from the April meet.

Like last time, the meet was a lot of fun, lots of friendly people, and everything was ran well and organized.

Wilks was around 328, the winner was 339. My age adjusted was around 348. I think I was within about 10-15 lbs of what would have been my absolute best potential on this day, so not too bad of a result.
    Last edited by BarryF; 10-30-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

It was really cool seeing the progress you've made between the spring and fall meets. Very solid job on all lifts!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    It was really cool seeing the progress you've made between the spring and fall meets. Very solid job on all lifts!
    Thanks Brodie, much appreciated. Wish I'd taken the chance to chat with you some more. Maybe I'll see you next time at the Spring event.

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast