starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TwoFours Lifting Log

Default TwoFours Lifting Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    2nd comp coming up in about 2 months. Here is my previous log

I am running a modified TM with focus on the bench, which is my weak link. I'll be competing at USAPL in Brooklyn on September 13th. Current setup:

Monday
    Volume Squat 5x5 @ 90% of Fri
    Volume Bench 5x5 @ 90% of Fri
    Volume SGDL 5x3 @ 70% of Fri
    Chins

Wednesday
    Light Squat 5x2 @ 80% Monday
    Press ~6x4 (via Coach Baker, at least one set of 6 and no sets below 4 reps)
    Bent over Row 8x3
    Back Ext 10x3
    Band Pullaparts

Friday
    Intense Squat
    Intense Bench
    Intense Deadlift
    Lat Pulldown 8x3 @ light weight

Will start updating this tonight after my iDay session

Fri 7/24 iDay

Squat 435x4 I think I could have gotten the 5th rep but was a little light headed after the 4th and prob would have needed 10+ seconds before the 5th rep so I racked it.

Bench 265x4 First 3 reps smooth, 4th grindy. Tried for the 5th but it got stuck on my chest.

DL 495x2 These felt pretty good. First time with 5 plates in the gym. Had some people mirin. Nice feeling. Hoping to get to 6 wheels within a year.

Finished up with some light lat pull downs 10x2 and some band pullaparts 15x2
    Last edited by TwoFours; 07-27-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Tues 7/28

Didnt get to the gym Monday because of a softball playoff doubleheader Monday night. I'm going to do T-TH-SA this week and revert back to M-W-F next week. Hoping that doing iDay very early on Saturday morning will give enought time to be fresh for Monday's vDay.

Squat 355x5x5 Took a slight deload since I only got 4 reps on iDay last 2 times. Felt great so did a set of 7 on the last set.

Bench 242.5x5x5 I did this as 245x5x2 and 240x5x3 for an avg of 242.5. I dont like carrying microplates for volume day.

SGDL - 355x5x3

Chins 5, 4, 4

Thurs 7/30 Light Day

Squat 285 x 5 x 2 - beltless as always on the light day

OHP - 145x6x4 - Went 6, 6, 4, 4 on reps. Good enough to add weight next time.

Rows - 155x8x3

Reverse pushups 10x2

Band Pulls 15x2

Sat 8/1

Squat 440 x 3 - Went for a 4th rep but knew I had no chance on the way down so I didnt even attempt to get out of the hole. Just slowly sunk it to the pins.

Bench 267.5 x 5 - I had some dizziness inbetween warmup sets. Not sure what happened. Could be from the squat fail but like I said, I didnt do anything exceopt lower the 440lbs to the pins. Not much effort given.

DL 500 x 0 - Going to chalk this up to a crappy day. Had to workout around 10 am and was woken up by frsh direct delivery at 7am! Was drinking the night before while watching the Mets so went to bed around 1 am. God damn you Fresh Direct! Pulled 405 for 4 afterwrds just do get some work in.

Mon 8/3 Volume

SQ - 360x5x5 - these felt light today, did 7 reps on last set

BN - 245x5x5 - also felt light.

SGDL - 355x5x3 - was supposed to be 360 but messed up and did 355 again. Oh well.

Chins - 6, 5, 4, 3 - I havent been able to get more than 6 chins. Should I add a second set of chins to my weekly setup? AfteriDay DL perhaps i/o light Lat Pulldowns?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    Mon 8/3 Volume

SQ - 360x5x5 - these felt light today, did 7 reps on last set

BN - 245x5x5 - also felt light.

SGDL - 355x5x3 - was supposed to be 360 but messed up and did 355 again. Oh well.

Chins - 6, 5, 4, 3 - I havent been able to get more than 6 chins. Should I add a second set of chins to my weekly setup? AfteriDay DL perhaps i/o light Lat Pulldowns?
    Do You Mean Add A Second Day Of chins?
    Imo chins require alot of volume. You may want to add a session of heavy pull downs where you keep adding weight. Also while doing pull downs focus on pulling with your elbows. Think of your arms as hooks. Remove or limit bicep and arm involvement.
    Another suggestion is to add a few negatives at the end.
    Another do sets of 2s or 3s as many sets until you cant do more. Alternate next session with a pyramid approach, 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 as an example. By doing 6 your exhausting your strength in the first set and limiting the volume.
    Last edited by lou t; 08-04-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    Do You Mean Add A Second Day Of chins?
    Imo chins require alot of volume. You may want to add a session of heavy pull downs where you keep adding weight. Also while doing pull downs focus on pulling with your elbows. Think of your arms as hooks. Remove or limit bicep and arm involvement.
    Another suggestion is to add a few negatives at the end.
    Another do sets of 2s or 3s as many sets until you cant do more. Alternate next session with a pyramid approach, 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 as an example. By doing 6 your exhausting your strength in the first set and limiting the volume.

sorry, it should have said a second day of chins. the stes of 2 and 3 /pyramid approach seems to make sense, thanks. will give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    sorry, it should have said a second day of chins. the stes of 2 and 3 /pyramid approach seems to make sense, thanks. will give it a go.
    I would encourage negative at the end for 3 or 4 reps. Go as slow as you can on the negative.

starting strength coach development program
    Wed 8/5 Light Day

Squat 290 x 5 x 2 - beltless as always on the light day

OHP - 147.5x6x4 -

Rows - 160x8x3 - missed the last couple reps. will re-do same weight next time.

Back Extensions - 3x10 w/ 45lb plate

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast