• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5/23/16

Squat: 285x5x4

285x5 - YouTube

Bench: 225x5x4

DL: 375x5

375x5 - YouTube

Volume day is. Just. Rough. I'm not even up to normal volume yet and by the time DL rolls around I just want to go home. Definitely going to stick with 4 sets until I start to feel normal afterwords. Basically after the Monday workout I immediately need a nap. Oh well. I've developed some weird shin splint/calf strain/nerve thing in my lower legs. The right side is not so bad but the left was pretty bothersome today. I've had this in the past too and I guess it just went away after a while. My only theory is that I push my knees out too much sometimes on the Squat, which over-stretches that area. But that's just a guess. I filmed my last set from the back today to see if I could notice anything. If anyone reading sees anything let me know

5/25/16

Recovery Day:

Squat: 230x5x2
    Press: 152.5x5x1, 145x5x2
    Chins: BW+10x5

Shin splint/nerve thing was manageable today but still felt it. Just hoping its ok for heavier squats Friday.
    My Press numbers are all messed up. I think I have the % worked out now and will adjust next week.
    Going to try to treat chins just like a main lift and see what happens. Will just alternate volume and intensity. Maybe I can even fit them in on Fridays as well. Will see.
    Also got some suggestions from Wolf on manipulating the volume so I'm not so crushed after Monday. I want to give the standard TM a go for as long as I can before switching though

5/27/16

Squat: 340x5

340x5 - YouTube

Bench: 240x5, 205x8
    PC: 155x3
    Rower: 30/30x3

Squats moved well so that makes me happy. I'd love to get to 365x5 before I go away in July. That's optimistic but ya never know. Felt the calf thing but it seems to be improving.
    Bench and PC also felt fine.
    Experimented with a little conditioning and hated every second of it. I think I can handle it 2x/week though so we'll see how it goes

5/30/16

Squat: 290x5x4
    Press: 140x5x5
    DL: 385x5

Made it through VD with much more energy than last week. Will see how I feel tomorrow but hopefully I can enjoy a few weeks of not feeling obliterated afterwords. Once weights get heavier it will be rough again I'm sure. But everything felt pretty good today

6/1/16

Squat: 235x5x2
    Bench: 220x5x3
    Volume Chins: BWx3x5

Was a long weekend and I did not feel "recovered" for recovery day and everything hurt and felt bad. Oh well. It happens

6/3/16

Squat: 345x5

345x5 - YouTube

Press: 160x5
    PC: 165x3

Felt awful going into this one. Its so sad that it takes me 4 days to recover from a long weekend where I barely even drank. Oh well. Made all the reps so its all good.

6/6/16

Squat: 295x5x4
    Bench: 220x5, 225x5x4
    DL: 395x5

395x5 - YouTube

Squat Volume PR today, so that was nice.
    Bench really few up the first set so I had to add 5lbs more than expected for the rest of the sets.
    DL vid shows weight moved quicker than it felt. Still going to switch to 5lb jumps here though. DL is a bitch and will stall quick so I'll ride this out as long as I can.

Did a lot of extra curricular activities Saturday. Helped my Dad with a project in the basement which involved a lot of crawling in small spaces and squatting low. Then installed an AC and then picked a bunch of strawberries at neighbor's place. But I felt less stiff today than I normally do on Mondays even with a 2.5hr bus ride each way. So I am thinking of...dare I say it...incorporating some mobility/active recovery/yardwork/whatever on weekends. At the very least I need to move around more, maybe foam roll, hang out at the bottom of a squat, etc. Just some light stuff to keep the oil in the joints. Will see if it helps overall
    Last edited by Ryan Arnold; 06-06-2016 at 11:25 AM.

6/8/16

Squat: 240x5x2
    Press: 125x5x3
    Chins: BWx3, BW+12.5x5

Recovery Day. Nothing interesting to report other than my lifting shoes need new shoelaces. And that's not interesting

6/10/16

Squat: 350x5

350x5 - YouTube

Bench: 250x5, 225x9
    PC: 170x3

So I'm generally happy with my squats because they feel pretty good and I'm adding weight to the bar, but I can't tell if they need tweaking or not. My sense is that I descend more vertical than is optimal but I get into a good position at the bottom and have decent hip drive. If anyone with a good eye feels like weighing in feel free. I've been kind of trying to fix the vertical-ness for a while and the normal cues aren't really working.
    Bench was supposed to be 245 but the last warmup felt so easy I went to 250. Which was decently challenging but it went up.
    I tweaked my back on my last warmup set of squats but it didn't affect my top set or bench. Normally in this situation in the past I've skipped PC or went light. But I decided this time that if I work through every other lift with mini back tweaks then I have to work through PC also. I was a little iffy about the top set but it went ok.
    I'm doing a lot of work this weekend again. So I'll definitely be fatigued Monday. All good though

starting strength coach development program
    6/13/16

Squat: 300x5x4

300x5 - YouTube

Press: 145x5x5

DL: 405x4

405x4 - YouTube

Lots of manual labor this weekend and today was not easy. Made all the squats though, which is a volume PR.
    Press was fine.
    Now those damn Deadlifts. I'm gonna blame this one on my little girl hands. I can only get my pointer finger around my thumb on the hook grip, and I can't hold it together well enough on a heavy set of 5. Today was the day I finally missed a rep because of it (ok I just didn't do the rep because I knew my grip wouldn't hold). So I'm going to switch to triples next week, but the next time 5's come around I think I'll switch to the mixed grip for any reps of the top set of 5 that I can't hold effectively.

Page 12 of 91 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast