starting strength gym
Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to 405

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Checkin in Ryan. Just went over your log, pretty impressive how you went from prepping for a meet to hernia repair to competing in a meet to now getting stronger haha. Nice job man!

Thanks Robert. There has been much up and down these past few months. Hoping for mostly up from now on!

6/15/16

Recovery Day

Squat: 245x5x2
    Bench: 205x5x3
    Volume Chins: BWx3x6
    Conditioning: F That

Felt very tight and stiff today. Probably still carryover from the weekend. Oh well. And the NBA Finals is going to keep me from a full night's sleep before Friday. I think I can still make my planned on sets of Fahve tho

6/17/16

Intensity Day

Squat: 355x5

355x5 - YouTube

Press: 165x5

PC: 175x3

Didn't feel good going in. Was unsure if 355 was going to go for 5. Then a hot girl offered to film it so that solved that problem. Hit the pins on the 4th rep but recovered for the 5th. Because...I had to.
    Press felt good.
    Some idiot walked in front of me on my top set of PC and I had a sloppy rack and bent my wrist pretty good. But it seems minor.
    Another weekend of travel and manual labor ahead. I don't think that mixes too well with Texas Method but I'm surviving so far

6/20/16

Volume Day

Squat: 305x5x4
    Bench: 230x5x5
    DL: 410x3 (mixed grip)

410x3 - YouTube

Only slept 6hrs last night due to NBA Finals and hammies were super tight today as a result of much garden work this weekend. However I was pleased that nothing felt particularly brutal today.
    After some deliberation I've decided to go back to a mixed grip for the DL. The hook took me to a 456 DL but I think my path to 500 will be mixed. This is not due to me being a pussy, its the fact that my hands are too small. I can only get my pointer finger around my thumb and grip just doesn't hold at work set weights, therefore limiting my all important Gainzzzzz. I hate the asymmetry of the mixed grip but its gainz I want and gainz I shall have

6/22/16

Recovery Day

Squat: 250x5x2
    Press: 130x5x3
    ID Chins: BWx5, BW+15x5

Nothing to report. Onward

6/24/16

Intensity Day

Squat: 360x5

360x5 - YouTube

Bench: 255x5 - forgot to do backoff set. Damn.

PC: 180x3

Squats were pretty grindy. Plate milestone next week is going to be tough. But I shall overcome.
    Was actually kinda pissed I forgot to do a backoff set of bench. I think those are necessary since TM neglects the UB lifts a bit. Probably why 255 went so smooth today. Oh well.
    PC is getting heavy and starting to bother the wrist a bit (ganglion cyst) but not severely.
    And yet another manual labor weekend ahead. #activerest

6/27/16

Volume Day

Squat: 310x5x4

310x5 - YouTube

310x5 - YouTube

Bench: 235x5x5

DL: 415x3x2 - Alternate Grip

Filmed squat from 2 angles because I wanted to see how forward I was getting of midfoot. To me it seems just a little bit, which I can live with. Others feel free to weigh in.
    Bench was Nice and Smooth. You know, like the rappers.
    DL. Houston we have a problem. I switched to alternate grip last week because my hook was really becoming limiting at work set weights. (I have teensy weensy thumbs and can't hook properly). So the alternate grip felt great last week and this week. But then my sometimes training partner informed me my squeeze was shit. Low back not getting arched enough. So I'm going to film next week and see how they look. So I'm thinking the palm forward hand is just not letting me get my chest up enough. Also I scraped my shin pretty good, indicating I'm back on my heels too much, which training partner guy noticed also. Anyway, pending video next week I'm wondering if using straps would be the next logical step? Only question then would be how do I pull in the Meet - hook or mixed? We'll see how it goes I guess. At least they FELT good. But that seems to be the only good news of the day. Oh well. 1st World lifter problems I guess
    Last edited by Ryan Arnold; 06-27-2016 at 06:21 PM.

6/29/16

Recovery Day

Squat: 255x5
    Press: 135x5
    Chins: BWx3x2

Its a stretch to even call this a workout, at least its Recovery Day. I'm sick. But figured probably best to get something in if I could. Going to Urgent Care in a bit. This feels like an ear infection and I really hope it isn't.

starting strength coach development program
    7/1/16

Intensity Day

Squat: 365x5

365x5 - YouTube

Bench: 260x5

PC: 185x3

185x3 - YouTube

Well today was certainly a pleasant surprise. I've been sick all week. Felt awful for recovery day workout. So was a little worried about today. But not only did squats move quicker than last week, everything else was smooth and easy too. I guess I'll be bringing my gear to San Diego and finding a gym next week. Can't miss time unless absolutely necessary. Finally healthy and adding weight to the bar every week. A great feeling. PC felt good despite me realizing from the vid my elbow position is horrible. I'll need to focus on getting them more horizontal and maybe doing some wrist/forearm stretching

Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast