starting strength gym
Page 26 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to 405

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When people talk about the VD/ID percentages, at least in the discussions I've seen, the most common % given is the off-set between VD and ID, with 80-90% being the most common range and probably mid-80's % being where most people end up. But that also becomes fuzzy when ID changes rep ranges. VD being 85% of a new 5 rep PR on Friday is different than VD being 85% of 5 singles across on Friday.

Right now I think you're trending with your VD high at 86% of your singles (though mitigated somewhat by your singles being really fooking fast, so clearly aren't close to 1RMs), so tapering volume heading into the meet will probably allow for dissipation of some built up fatigue and a good peaking effect.

Yeah, I agree with Wolf, you're gonna feel strong AF on meet day with the reduced volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    When people talk about the VD/ID percentages, at least in the discussions I've seen, the most common % given is the off-set between VD and ID, with 80-90% being the most common range and probably mid-80's % being where most people end up. But that also becomes fuzzy when ID changes rep ranges. VD being 85% of a new 5 rep PR on Friday is different than VD being 85% of 5 singles across on Friday.

Right now I think you're trending with your VD high at 86% of your singles (though mitigated somewhat by your singles being really fooking fast, so clearly aren't close to 1RMs), so tapering volume heading into the meet will probably allow for dissipation of some built up fatigue and a good peaking effect.
    Yeah I think I've done pretty well with this in terms of not sandbagging but also not running myself into the ground over what is going to amount to 6 straight months of training. Thanks for the programming help. I'm ready to finish strong. Gainz.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    Yeah, I agree with Wolf, you're gonna feel strong AF on meet day with the reduced volume.
    That's what I'm hoping. The NYC Marathon is the same day. Let's play a game of: "On this date in history....."

2011. I was two years into a glorious brand new shiny career as a personal trainer. My manager at the time at Equinox was a marathon runner who runs about 5:30 miles for a marathon and a couple months before he had asked me to start training him. I still train him now actually. In January 2011 I had decided I was going to become a runner. I ran 4 half marathons and I think my pace was usually around 7:45sec for a half marathon. I was not a very good runner. 3 weeks before the NYC Marathon my manager/client asked me if I wanted to run it - he could get me a spot. I asked him if he thought I would be ok without ever having run more than 13.1 miles at one time? He said, "you have a good base, you'll be ok." So I said sign me up then. I was not ok. I remember doing one long training run of about 17miles and it was very hard. But I remember thinking that adrenaline would carry me for sure. Marathon Shmarathon. I was an athlete dammit. So there are lots of little details about marathon running that I didn't really pay attention to. Like dressing properly, pre-race eating, fueling during the race, going to the bathroom, etc. All I wanted to do was break 4hrs and I would be happy I told myself. So after a strong start basking in the bright sun running over the Verrazano Bridge I made my first mistake - I ditched my sweats because I was warm. As we headed north through Brooklyn the sun went away and I was cold. I was stiffening up and cramping at mile 11 and my pace was already slowing down. Not good. I don't remember any feelings besides hating life for the next 8miles. Everything hurt and by mile 20 as we entered Upper Manhattan I was running 12min miles. I wanted to drop out but I had some friends waiting to see me near Central Park and I forced myself on. As we entered Central Park around mile 23 I think I had to start alternating running with walking. I couldn't feel my lower legs (shin splints bothered me for 5 months afterwords) and just sheer will got me to the finish line. I remember everyone jumping around hugging and such and I just got in a cab went home, went immediately to bed and vowed never to run again. Haha. My time was 4:31. Is it any surprise I became a lifter??

Running bad. Lifting good. I don't think I've ever run more than 5 miles. I sucked at it even at 6'1" 150-160#.

10/17/16

Press: 187.5x2x3, 160x7

187.5x2 - Set 1 - YouTube

Bench: 240x5, 245x5x4

Chins: BWx5x7, BWx4x7, BWx3x9 = 90

Press felt good. Slowed down by the third set. Will go for 200 next week.
    Bench finally felt strong. Was able to increase to 245.
    Chins brah.
    Pretty straightforward workout. I had a lot of energy today. Drank coffee immediately before rather than my usual 1-1.5hr before. I think that helped. Will try to continue that
    Last edited by Ryan Arnold; 10-17-2016 at 01:49 PM.

10/18/16

Squat: 315x5, 360x5, 385x1, 335x5

DL: 425x3, 445x2x2

445x2 - Set 2 - YouTube

Bike O' Torture: :20/1:40 x6

Did some ramping lighter volume today in Squat. Preparing to have my last heavy Squat day be next Friday so had to do an in between type day today to prepare for heavy on Friday. Things didn't seem to move as quickly as I'd hoped, but it got done so whatever. No vid either - too crowded.

DL still feeling good. 445x2x2 wasn't crushing. 455 Plate milestone next week will be fun.

Got some conditioning in too.

10/20/16

Bench: 275x1x5, 240x7

275x1 - Set 2 of 5 - YouTube

Press: 155x5x5

Chins: BWx6x2, BWx5x7 = 47

Not much good about today. Had to lift in the morning which my body did not like. Was reminded that my bench has not improved since May. Maybe I'll get a small PR at the Meet but who knows. 3 Day TM just not enough volume for Bench methinks.

Press was just a chore. Now that the Meet is getting close I have no interest in doing a lot of volume.

Ran out of time and didn't get my usual amount of chins in. Oh well. Squats tomorrow brah

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Had to lift in the morning which my body did not like.
    Lifting in the morning is the devil's work.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony King View Post
    Lifting in the morning is the devil's work.
    Yeah man I ran out of gas quick

Page 26 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast