Thread: The Road to 405

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    11/17/16

Press: 145x5
    Bench: 195x5x3
    Pullups(what?): BWx5x3

Easy. My feelz are soooooooo good right now. Something tells me this will not last. Least amount of aches and pains in years. I feel like I could go jump in a WOD or even go run the courts with The King and Duck.

11/18/16

HBBS: 195x5x3
    DL: 315x5x2 - mad volume brah

Not much to say these days. Although today I did notice just how much the back is worked in the LBBS. Even deadlifting light after squatting light I can feel it through my whole back

Ryan, do mean how much the back is worked during the HBBS? I recently switched over myself, and my knees (which I expected) and lower back (which I did not) are definitely more sore. Elbows feel much better though.

No, the back is worked more in the LBBS due to the greater moment arm between the bar and hip(since you have to lean over more in the LBBS). So basically during normal heavy training I'll have squatted heavy before Deadlifting and my back is already somewhat torched and I won't "feel anything" until the next day. But the last few workouts with the squat weight being light(combined with the fact that its High Bar) I actually feel my back more DURING deadlifts since it hasn't been worked very hard previously

My bad Ryan. I misunderstood what you meant by 'feeling it' in your back. Just curious, what are your plans now after this last meet?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatchatoa1 View Post
    My bad Ryan. I misunderstood what you meant by 'feeling it' in your back. Just curious, what are your plans now after this last meet?
    Yeah I realized writing it that there didn't seem to be a clear way to convey what I was trying to say. Haha. I've already signed up for the USAPL SBWC Spring Classic April 28th. Taking it light for another couple weeks before hitting it hard again. Its going to be a long training cycle so I don't want to mess up the peak. Preliminary goals for the Spring are 460 squat/305 Bench/555 DL at a bodyweight of 225. I weigh 239 right now

11/21/16

Bench: 225x5, 185x8
    Press: 140x5x3
    Chins: BWx6x3

Move on. Nothing to see here. Have a nice day.

11/22/16

HBBS: 215x5x3

215x5 - YouTube

DL: 345x5

High bar squats feel better than I thought they would. Still light obv. Gonna run with them a while though I think and give my elbows a break until the inevitable cancer returns. Maybe thumbs around/wrist wraps will fix it - who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Gonna run with them a while though I think and give my elbows a break until the inevitable cancer returns. Maybe thumbs around/wrist wraps will fix it - who knows?
    Hey, be optimistic! I know I've said this in person but I always find I am 100% fine with no canceritis for long stretches at a time, using the standard SS grip. Then one bad set brings it back (I haven't identified what I do that brings it back, but whatever it is, it seems to be bad enough that one bad set does it). After that, the same exact grip technique prevents it from leaving and maybe makes it marginally worse. I'm doing high bar and SSB squats this week myself to allow for some healing and recovery, but the thumbs around seems to only help me very marginally.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Hey, be optimistic! I know I've said this in person but I always find I am 100% fine with no canceritis for long stretches at a time, using the standard SS grip. Then one bad set brings it back (I haven't identified what I do that brings it back, but whatever it is, it seems to be bad enough that one bad set does it). After that, the same exact grip technique prevents it from leaving and maybe makes it marginally worse. I'm doing high bar and SSB squats this week myself to allow for some healing and recovery, but the thumbs around seems to only help me very marginally.
    Funny because I had the exact same experience leading up to the SS Fall Classic - was having some pretty significant elbow pain after squatting that was affecting my ability to press afterwards. Over the course of two weeks, during which I made no known changes to my form or training, the pain went away entirely and has not returned. I'm definitely not complaining, though!

Page 31 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast