starting strength gym
Page 37 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to 405

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It was actually an absolute disaster. See you tomorrow for more fun.

2/10/17

Squat: 345x5

345x5 - YouTube

DL: 350x5x4

Squats didn't feel great and a little slower than I'd like. But I think I can still make one more 10lb jump next week.
    Only did 4 sets of DL.
    My back has been minorly tweaked/extra stiff these last couple weeks. I can't remember a specific instance where I hurt it. It could be just from extra sitting/poor sleep. It could also be that I'm doing too much DL volume. Will see how this pans out over the next couple weeks.

2/13/17

Bench: 250x5, 225x10
    Press: 147.5x5x5
    Chins: BWx7x5 = 35

My best bench set of 5 last cycle was 265x5 which produced a 292 paused bench. I'm going to have to do a lot of eating(which I'm not sure I have in me right now) to get 275x5/300x1. We'll see I guess

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    A cue for knee slide I've used is deliberately trying to break at the knees first, set them, then sit down, not back.
    Yeah it kinda looks like Ryan is trying to stay too vertical on his descent and his knees are continuously moving forward (albeit slowly) as he squats down. I think people do that sometimes when there is a back tweak in the midst.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Yeah it kinda looks like Ryan is trying to stay too vertical on his descent and his knees are continuously moving forward (albeit slowly) as he squats down. I think people do that sometimes when there is a back tweak in the midst.
    Nah the vertical squats don't have anything to do with my back - its been going on for like 8 months now. Sometimes I feel like they look less vertical and then sometimes they don't. Can't seem to fix it

2/14/17

Squat: 290x5x5

290x5 - YouTube

DL: 435x5

435x5 - set 5 - YouTube

The good news is that I think squats look a bit better. I turned my toes out a little more and it seemed to help with the knee slide.
    Bad news is that my Deadlifts suck. I'm not quite sure why my ability to get properly squoze has suddenly alluded me. This was a pretty grindy set today too.
    Just realized I titled these wrong. The 290x5 was set 5. 435 was one set of 5. Any more and I wouldn't have made it
    Last edited by Ryan Arnold; 02-14-2017 at 02:33 PM.

2/16/17

Press: 170x5 - ties PR at 20lb lower BW
    Bench: 225x5x5 - two plates bruh
    Chins: BWx5, +10x3, +20x2, +30x5

Low back still painful from my crappy DL's so tomorrow for the first time in many months...I shall take some Aleve. I don't think Squat will be affected but DL will be a rehab/work on form session. Will play it by ear. This probably calls for 5x5 DL's to come to an end, at least for now. Maybe I'll work up to a slightly heavier 2x5 on VD with perfect form before considering adding any more volume

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    2/14/17

DL: 435x5

435x5 - set 5 - YouTube

Bad news is that my Deadlifts suck. I'm not quite sure why my ability to get properly squoze has suddenly alluded me.
    What the gym scene behind you made me think of:

I hope your deadlift recovery kicks back up a notch or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki Sims View Post
    What the gym scene behind you made me think of:

I hope your deadlift recovery kicks back up a notch or two.
    haha. Toes to bar best exercise ever IMO. I know you've seen the madness first hand. Today I had to save not one, not two, but THREE people from death within an hour by relieving them of their bench press clips. They obviously have not read our material. Or think logically

starting strength coach development program
    2/17/17

Squat: 350x5

350x5 - YouTube

DL: 350x5x2

350x5 - YouTube

350x5 - belt less trench coat version - YouTube

Squats were eh today. Weight moved slower than I'd have liked and I'm still too vertical with some knee slide and a couple reps seemed high. So not much good going on here.
    Lightened the DL load today. Took vid with and without belt and the squeezes looked fine to me - feel free to comment if anyone thinks different. So I think the squeezing problem is just standard form breakdown at max weights. 435x5 is probably my top set of 5 right now since it moved pretty slow. So I think I'll just be a bit more squeeze focused next week, switch to triples, and try to hold it together.

I've been trying to get myself motivated for this Spring Classic for two months now and I just can't seem to get my mind right about it. Its probably a combination of factors, but I'm leaning towards not competing. In general leading up to competition I like to be eating big, PR'ing consistently, sleeping well, progressing towards goals, etc. The normal stuff. I just can't get in that mode right now. So instead I think I'm going to continue my de-fattening process. I'd like to get back to 20%BF(currently 26.5-ish) and be less strength-goal focused with training. I'll still train hard of course, but without the pressure of competing. That being said I still may compete since I'm signed up it will just depend how I'm feeling leading up to the competition. But for now, even if just for psychological purposes, I just want to have the competing aspect off my mind. Maybe even throw some Oly stuff or bro stuff in the program as well. If my cut goes efficiently I'll be around 20% in July/August and be ready to compete again at the Fall Classic

Page 37 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast