starting strength gym
Page 38 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to 405

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is your back still hurting?
    you were super hesitant to lean over in your squats. And you were arching your way down a bit.

I think the beltless deads look better in terms of squoze. Also looks like you did a better job pulling straight up versus slightly back on the belted sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki Sims View Post
    Is your back still hurting?
    you were super hesitant to lean over in your squats. And you were arching your way down a bit.

I think the beltless deads look better in terms of squoze. Also looks like you did a better job pulling straight up versus slightly back on the belted sets.
    These are good observations. My back is not a factor in the hesitancy, that has more to do with just trying to sit back and stay tight and not knee slide which hasn't been working great either. I do realize I need to speed them up and arch less - will work on that next week. Agreed on the beltless deads. I think I'm going to try to only use the belt for top sets of 3 or less. I just seem to deteriorate on a set of 5 with it on. Thanks for chiming in!

And I guess I shouldn't say my back is not a factor. Dwayne noticed the same thing about my squats and its certainly something that's in the back of my mind. But I've squatted so much with back pain that I didn't consider it something that would prevent me from getting in the planned work for the day. But I'm probably subconsciously protecting it in some way

Random thought post:

I've realized recently(and of course this is purely subjective) a rather significant quality of life upgrade/ease of ADL's by being someone who can squat 400+/DL 500+ as opposed to 300+/400+. Anyone observe anything similar subjectively of course?

2/20/17

Squat: 295x5x5

295x5 - YouTube

Bench: 230x5x5

Chins: BWx10x2

Going to switch to a modified 3 Day TM:

Monday: Squat Volume, Bench/Press Volume, assistance
    Wednesday: Press/Bench 3x5, DL, assistance
    Friday: Squat Intensity, Bench/Press Intensity, assistance

Squats felt good today despite the knees still being too far forward. I wasn't arching my low back as much. Will see how they look friday with more weight on the bar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Random thought post:

I've realized recently(and of course this is purely subjective) a rather significant quality of life upgrade/ease of ADL's by being someone who can squat 400+/DL 500+ as opposed to 300+/400+. Anyone observe anything similar subjectively of course?
    I haven't deadlifted 500 yet (best is 473), so maybe there will be some magical transformation when I do, but no. I don't think getting my squat from three plates to four made my life as a city-dweller with a desk job any easier.

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    I haven't deadlifted 500 yet (best is 473), so maybe there will be some magical transformation when I do, but no. I don't think getting my squat from three plates to four made my life as a city-dweller with a desk job any easier.
    No difference in the day to day. Maybe changing from summer to winter tires and vice versa is a little easier. People ask me to help them take down/put up their luggage in airplanes sometimes, but that's probably due to my height.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    No difference in the day to day. Maybe changing from summer to winter tires and vice versa is a little easier. People ask me to help them take down/put up their luggage in airplanes sometimes, but that's probably due to my height.
    Installing a 650# hot tub is easier/possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Installing a 650# hot tub is easier/possible.
    I just noticed my back hurts less overall, especially on trains/planes/automobile rides. Less stiff in the morning. Able to put in a full day of landscaping with less fatigue. Able to put in a full day of coaching with less fatigue. Things like that and probably others i'm forgetting. Prob subjective tho

starting strength coach development program
    2/22/17

Press: 155x5x3
    DL: 365x5

365x5 - YouTube

Chins: BWx10x2

Press was fine. Seems like I'm getting back into the habit of being on my heels in the DL. So will have to focus on staying midfoot/overcorrecting to toes.
    Decided to try to Texas Method Chins. Since I plan to cut another 15-20lbs of BW off(thus making chins easier) I think this should theoretically produce good results. So I'm thinking:

Monday: Weighted 5x5
    Wednesday: Two bodyweight sets to failure
    Friday: Weighted set of 5

Page 38 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast