• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nice Ryan! Your log is very inspiring!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Dobson View Post
    Congrats!
    Thanks Bryan!

Quote Originally Posted by Snatchatoa1 View Post
    Nice Ryan! Your log is very inspiring!!
    Glad to hear. You know I was thinking about how I was going to round out this training cycle and I've been planning to switch to triples on Squat for like 3 weeks now. But a little voice inside whispers, "keep going." So I think I'll try 415x5 next week

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Bench moved pretty well too. I'll have to look back but I don't think it was a PR. Close though
    My PR triple is 270x3x2. 265 moved well though so I'm right in the ballpark. Gonna be soooooo close to the 300 bench whenever I test.

10/30/17

Squat: 355x5x3
    Bench: 235x5x2, 237.5x5, 240x5x2

Was still feeling a little beat up from Friday's Squats so taking that as an indication its time to start tapering things a bit. So knocked a set off of squats, which Wolf suggested which I think was a good idea. He also confirmed I'm holding the bar too low on my back. So my current conundrum with the whole grip/bar position is this, as has been the case for some time now:

If I take a normal thumbs over grip and place the bar in the correct position I get elbow tendinitis to the point where the pain becomes unbearable after a point. In taking a thumbs around grip(with wristwraps), my flexibility/anthropometry only allows for a very wide grip and results in my wrists being bent back a lot, which is painful but less painful than the elbow tendinitis I get from thumbs over. Also if I put the bar in the right place with thumbs around I seem unable to keep it there and it slides down my back. If I hold the bar lower, like I've been doing, it still produces wrist/elbow pain(but tolerable) and is just a more unstable position in general which may not be a good thing long term. It also leaves me not standing all the way up straight at the top. That combined with the bar being not "on the shoulders" may get me red lights if I compete in USAPL again. So its a frustrating situation. One that I'll have to continue to troubleshoot. But I'll finish out this cycle holding it like I am.

Everything felt good overall today though, other than the residual fatigue from Friday's workout

11/1/17

Press: 187.5x2, 155x7

YouTube

Deadlift: 465x2, 395x5

YouTube

The Press double was just 2.5lbs shy of my all time PR. And it moved well. So I'm hoping I can PR(205) next week.
    Deadlift moved and felt good. A PR double there.

My body has sent me clear signals its time to taper. Have been sore since Saturday and that is not usually the case with me. Even though the 405x5 Squat moved well I seem to have hit the wall of accumulated fatigue. Will hit some heavy doubles Friday in both Bench and Squat. Reduce volume Monday. Then singles next Friday. Then openers the following Monday. Then test Nov. 18th.

Elbows are bad. I tried a set of squats holding the bar where its supposed to be Monday and it slipped down my back, which really aggravated the elbows. Will have to do some extra medicating the next few weeks I guess. So be it.

I have hit that point myself. It is nice to know you are not alone in feeling crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Dobson View Post
    I have hit that point myself. It is nice to know you are not alone in feeling crappy.
    Indeed. Just checked your log. Nice deadlifting! 500x5 is no joke

11/3/17

Squat: 415x2

YouTube

Bench: 270x2, 275x3

YouTube

CGBP: 225x8

I've always liked to say there is a fine line between being smart and being a bitch when it comes to training. I'm currently not sure which side of the line I'm on. I've been sore since I squatted 405x5. In the past when I've got sore it was when I was really grinding reps and it made sense. So I'm not quite sure why I haven't recovered this week. And yes I know I'm not supposed to listen to my "feelz." Anyway, on top of the extra fatique, my elbows and wrists were hurting pretty bad. A few Aleve on training days will no longer due. Going full on protocol for the next two weeks. I wanted to get 415x2 and 425x2 today. But I just stopped at 415 for these reasons. So who knows. Will hit heavy singles next Friday. Hopefully [425, 435, 445] x1. Then hopefully 465-475 on test day. We'll see.

Good news is that I hit a surprising bench PR with 275x3. I should have 300 on the 18th. Hopefully I can finally get in the club

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    11/3/17

Squat: 415x2

YouTube

Bench: 270x2, 275x3

YouTube

CGBP: 225x8

I've always liked to say there is a fine line between being smart and being a bitch when it comes to training. I'm currently not sure which side of the line I'm on. I've been sore since I squatted 405x5. In the past when I've got sore it was when I was really grinding reps and it made sense. So I'm not quite sure why I haven't recovered this week. And yes I know I'm not supposed to listen to my "feelz." Anyway, on top of the extra fatique, my elbows and wrists were hurting pretty bad. A few Aleve on training days will no longer due. Going full on protocol for the next two weeks. I wanted to get 415x2 and 425x2 today. But I just stopped at 415 for these reasons. So who knows. Will hit heavy singles next Friday. Hopefully [425, 435, 445] x1. Then hopefully 465-475 on test day. We'll see.

Good news is that I hit a surprising bench PR with 275x3. I should have 300 on the 18th. Hopefully I can finally get in the club
    That’s systemic fatigue. Those rep PRs are not cheap.

Page 54 of 91 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast