Thread: The Road to 405

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    12/9/19

Squat: [240, 245] x5

Bench: 195x5x3

Chins: BWx5x4

I was sick last week so was only able to train once. Felt good to get back under the bar today. Likely will take it easy the rest of 2019 and just train 2x/week. I may add a third day of conditioning if I feel up to it, but generally just want to give myself a little mental break and cut down on total gym hours in order to rejuvenate and be fresh and ready to go in 2020. Most years I take some sort of trip this time of year but that isn't happening this year so mini stay-cations will have to do

12/13/19

Squat: [245, 255] x5

Press: 120x5x2

Deadlift: 255x5

Easy peasy

12/16/19

Squat: 2x5@260

Bench: 3x5@200

Chins: BWx5x5

Ok I finally feel like I'm back on track after the last 4 months of crappy schedule/football season/bad sleep/sickness. Already feeling my quad/leg/hip thing so that's a sign I have to continue to stick to just 5lb jumps in the Squat. Which will put me back at 315x5x3 in just 5 weeks. Looking forward to 2020

12/18/19

Press: 125x5x3

Deadlift: 275x5

Just showing up and doing stuff. No sudden movements for a few more weeks.

Hey Ryan, how'd you determine your reset last month when you hit the wall? And what will your programming look like come January? I just hit one hard and am about to reset as well.

I’ve been following your log for a while (since I took a class with you last year), and it's awesome to see that you're getting back on track. Looking forward to 2020 as well.

Hey Nicky,

Unfortunately the answer to your question will be very subjective. Its educated guesswork at best and probably depends more on life factors than the weight on the bar. Here's one problem. I determined AFTER I reset that I had hit the wall for reasons I had not realized. I got a brief bout of food poisoning the weekend before my Deadlift went in the toilet. I think missing a couple meals hurt me way worse than I realized and was the main factor. So my reset was actually too much this time. Live and learn. But in general, due to my quad issues I will continue to take it slow with the Squat. So I will LP that adding 5lbs per workout(10lbs per week) until it gets to be a grind and then I will switch to a Texas Method split at that point. Probably 5-8 weeks from now. I will also LP the Press and Bench in the standard way for a while and switch to TM for Bench when its time. For Press I will likely go back to pressing just once/week with a top set or two and then a back off set. Deadlift is also once a week and probably just one top set - maybe a back off set - will see. When that exhausts provided I have not had any setbacks then I will switch back to the 10 day/2 week programming I was using for a while recently. But in general - its better to reset too much than too little. Think about giving yourself 3-7 days off completely after a Cycle ends, then take significant weight off the bar. You want to make sure those next 2-3 weeks are low stress until you are feeling like lifting heavy again. At that point if you've taken a big reset, and weights are moving too easy, then you can just take bigger jumps for a while on the way back up to previous working weights. Nice to hear from you - happy holidays!

I've felt the same thing about missed meals but couldn't quite believe it. Cool to hear it confirmed, though it sucks to hear you had food poisoning.

Your take on resetting is really logical. Thanks so much for the advice. And cycles are something I'm going to have to get used to. My crash a few weeks ago came as I tried to eat my way through severe soreness and even worse insomnia. Definitely learned that being an intermediate is different than a novice, and when to back off.

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays to you too!

12/20/19

Squat: 265x5x3

Bench: 205x5x3

Was going to PC but the gym has a heating/cooling problem and it was like 90 degrees today. Also my arm/shoulder pain is nearly gone so prob a good idea to just wait on PC until 2020. I'm in MED mode rest of this year anyway

12/23/19

Squat: 270x5x3

Press: 130x5x3

Chins: BWx5x6

Just showing up and doing stuff. Just realized I will only get to train twice this week and twice next week due to holidays/travel.

starting strength coach development program
    12/26/19

Bench: 210x5x3

DL: 295x5

This has not been an ideal holiday season from a gym perspective for various reasons. Adjusted hours, adjusted client schedule, adjusted work out times(for me), along with several other annoyances. The specific days that xmas eve and NYE have fallen on has messed lots of things up resulting in me not getting the little mental/physical break that I usually require this time of year. I'm also not feeling great about my quad right now. Since it seems to be so susceptible to re-strains I am hyper aware of it. It felt completely fine squatting up to 315x5x3 last Cycle and I would say right now it just feels a little less fine. But also not strained. So I don't know. Its such a dumb physical issue to have

Page 88 of 91 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast