starting strength gym
Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to 405

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Adam - I think I'm Sunday afternoon but I may attend Saturday also if I'm free. Looking forward to it

Thanks Nick!

2/1/15

Squat VD: 275x5x5
    Bench ID: 165x3x2
    Chins: BWx7,7,7,7,6,6 - 40

Today's workout was simply uncomfortable and a brutal grind. Last night I decided to sleep from 10-1 and then again from 5-7-ish. Awful. Also my hernia was bothering me a bit more than usual today. I got it all in though, including more chinup volume than expected. So I'll take it. I shall sleep well tonight

2/3/15

Press: 180x1x5, 155x5x2
    DL: 410x3, 315x6 (DOH)
    Chins: BWx6x4 - 24reps

Ugh. Just didn't have it today. 180 was probably too big a jump on the Press but I'm just not sure how I feel about micro-loading considering the plates and bars I use are always different. I think I'll stick with 5lb jumps but just eek out some extra reps when I can. We'll see how it goes.
    DL was kind of a disaster. I just cannot pull a top set when some guy plops down a mat and starts doing animal flow in front of my face. Was just distracted and pissed off and after 3 reps at 410(which I should have got 5) I felt that I was not staying tight and decided to just bag it to avoid a possible tweak. If I'm going to get injured while training I refuse to let the reason be that I pushed a set when I knew I couldn't concentrate in a stupid gym environment.
    I was done after the 410x3 and I knew chins weren't going to flow today. Also ran out of time.
    In general my dedication to lifting has surpassed the suitability of the facility where I lift. Starting tomorrow I'll begin my quest to find a better facility in the area where I can bring a few current clients and also feel comfortable training any new SS clients. And this is no easy task in NYC.

2/5/15

Squat ID: 340x4, 340x3, 275x5

340x4 - YouTube

Bench ID: 235x5, 240x5x4
    BB Row: 205x6,6,7,7

Ugh. Wussed out on squats. Found myself in no man's land. I was not sure if I would get 3 or 5 reps. Rep 3 felt ok enough to try to go for 5 and then rep 4 was so hard I figured I would definitely fail the last rep. Looking at the vid I feel like I could have grinded it out. Tough to say I guess. Needless to say I was hoping to not have to switch to triples yet but that's what happened. Oh well. Live to fight another day I guess. Also am not sure whether I need the backoff set. With the 4 day TM I think it made sense but now that I only have two days rest before volume day I'm not sure I need it. Will try next week without it.
    Bench feels freaking awesome. 240 for volume was a PR and it was so easy i'll go to 245 next week. Not a hint of previous pec pain/tightness. I think that chapter is finally closed. Hopefully.
    Rows for the bros felt pretty good too. Steadily adding volume there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    2/5/15

Squat ID: 340x4, 340x3, 275x5
    quote testing. I don't know how to use that feature. computer illiterate. anyway.

2/8/15

Squat VD: 280x5x5
    Bench ID: 270x2x3, 235x8
    Chins: BWx7x6 - 42 reps

Didn't feel good after Super Bowl drinking and eating yesterday. Still managed though. The bench may be a PR but I'm not sure. Got good chin reps again. My bi's are coming back bro.

Squat VD: 280x5x5
    Bench ID: 270x2x3, 235x8
    Chins: BWx7x6 - 42 reps
    Testing again. Still not good with the interwebz.

2/10/15

Press: 170x5, 155x5x3
    DL: 410x4, 315x5 (DOH)

410x4 - YouTube

Chins: 7,7,7,8 - 29 reps

Only slept 5hrs last night so this workout was predictably not great. I did better than expected actually. I'm in a microloading dilemma. In a gym where I use different bars and really old plates microloading doesn't seem to make sense. Then again I just repeated the same weight I did last week in Press. I think I could have got 172x5 whether it was exact or not. Might just be better mentally to micro-load so it feels like I'm actually progressing. Original plan was to do 6 reps but since I wasn't well recovered that didn't happen.
    DL was actually a PR but I was pretty out of gas by that point. I'll continue to work on my squeeze but this is all my body is giving me right now (see vid above). Its not great but I don't know how much more extension I can summon. I went back to Chucks today for the first time in a while and I couldn't actually tell much difference. The reps may be a little too much on my heels since I'm used to being forward more. Tough to say. My solution is to have a strong back (BB Rows FTW). When my belt arrives that should help a little. The one I'm using sucks.
    Gutted out some chins even though I was beat, predictably did not get as many reps as I'd like - but chins are just much tougher on Wednesdays than they are on Mondays

2/12/15

Squat ID: 345x3x2

345x3 - YouTube

Bench VD: 240x5x4, 245x5
    BB Row: 205x6,7,7,8

Threw the knee sleeves back on today for squats. I haven't needed them in a long while but right knee tendonitis has been creeping up a bit. Nothing major but enough to warrant the sleeves. And squats felt good with them on. I did away with the backoff set because the Intensity reps were slow and I was definitely shot after two sets.
    Bench was pretty easy so I went up for the last set, which was hard. So maybe should have just stuck with 240. Will see how ID feels Monday.
    Still adding reps to BB Rows bros
    Next week is going to be a big test for my hernia. It bothered me A LOT this past Monday and it was nagging me today too. I suspect its the squats, especially volume day. I REALLY don't want to have to have surgery before this May 1st Meet. That would be really frustrating. But I also don't want to be in pain 3 days a week. I can handle the way it is now but if it gets much worse I may have to consider going under the knife. I shall pray to Muscle Jesus that he allow my gainzz to continue
    Last edited by Ryan Arnold; 02-12-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Next week is going to be a big test for my hernia. It bothered me A LOT this past Monday and it was nagging me today too. I suspect its the squats, especially volume day. I REALLY don't want to have to have surgery before this May 1st Meet. That would be really frustrating. But I also don't want to be in pain 3 days a week. I can handle the way it is now but if it gets much worse I may have to consider going under the knife.
    Good luck. I was positive I had a hernia during my LP and didn't lift heavy for a long time while I was getting insurance sorted out. I had pain in my balls and everything, but they scanned me and I didn't have a hernia. Hope you get good news.

starting strength coach development program
    I had inguinal hernia repair surgery a year and a half ago. I've known the other side was herniated since not too long after that. Now its just a matter of how long I can last. People push these things back years but I think my time is coming up quickly. I just hope it can wait until after the Meet.

Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast