starting strength gym
Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to 405

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Thanks Adam. One of these days I'll actually complete a powerlifting meet. I'm 0/2.

On that note. Powerlifting has to be the most frustrating "sport." Obviously I don't know a lot about it, and maybe my beef is just with the USAPL. But the fact that they don't do refunds or deferrals is almost enough to make me not compete on principal. I don't enjoy just simply wasting money. They start sign ups like 6 months in advance and they sell out almost immediately (at least the USAPL meet in Brooklyn that they have 2x/year). So you have to sign up way in advance if you want in. Last year I overtrained (ok my fault). But this year I'm having SURGERY. Not to mention a whole other host of valid excuses I'm sure others have of not being able to make it. Obviously I would prefer to compete in Brooklyn since its just a short subway ride away, so it makes sense for me to sign up for these meets. But I may have to consider meets elsewhere in the future with organizations with a reasonable deferral policy. Anyone who knows about this stuff feel free to weigh in
    I think it's probably just the way these things work, as much as it sucks. Bummer that you'll have to miss the meet, but that just means you'll come back stronger by the next one.

I could be making this up, but I'm reasonably certain I remember hearing about someone who signed up for an RPS meet, was unable to attend, and Gene offered to credit the cost of the meet towards another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I think it's probably just the way these things work, as much as it sucks. Bummer that you'll have to miss the meet, but that just means you'll come back stronger by the next one.
    yep, thx

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    I could be making this up, but I'm reasonably certain I remember hearing about someone who signed up for an RPS meet, was unable to attend, and Gene offered to credit the cost of the meet towards another one.
    that seems like a more reasonable policy

I haven't lifted in 11 days, i've lost 5lbs, and I'm withering away. My back is starting to hurt from all the extra laying around watching House of Cards and not lifting.

I felt I should note the fact that my hernia has bothered me much less since I stopped lifting. Having surgery in 7 days. So there may be some insight to be gained from this but also questions left unanswered:

1) Lifting heavy aggravates inguinal hernias - duh
    2) It is now known that for me (possibly for others) you can lift up until the point of aching/burning/pain for a couple weeks without dying (probably). Not that I would ever recommend anyone do what I did - not a doctor.
    3) It is NOT known how much longer I could have continued to lift in pain without dying, or something really bad occurring.
    4) As a general rule, if a hernia becomes bothersome its probably best to get a surgery date asap, and take Rip's advice of getting on the phone and being persuasive to get under the damn knife asap. I had to pretty much pretend it was an emergency.
    5) If you have to wait for a longer period of time and you continue to lift past two weeks of pain then you will be "boldly going where no man has gone before" (except maybe Matt Reynolds)

So not a ton of insight here but I did feel the post-lifting time period of less pain was worth noting. Surgeries and other instances of life "happening" are obviously a pain in the ass. But once you get past the initial shock/anger stage its just helpful to accept that there is nothing you can do about it and you might as well look at it in a positive light. I remember when I was recovering from my first surgery - it really made me realize how much of a privilege it is just to be able to LIFT AT ALL. Some people have injuries or disabilities that prevent it. Others live in parts of the world where simply surviving takes precedence. Its very easy to look to those who are stronger than you and feel inadequate. But we forget to look at the other side of that coin. I know I do. So when I return I'll have the chance to come back with better nutrition and programming knowledge, as well as a bit of extra gratitude that I'm someone who even gets to do this at all, not to mention being in the position to help others get strong as well.

3/11/16

2nd hernia surgery in the books. Again the actual surgery took longer than expected. Did not get a lot of details on why. But I definitely feel better than I did after the last one. Already been out and about for a walk and some shopping. Hopefully recovery will be a little more swift this time. Last time I didn't lift for 7 weeks. I see a lot of people get back at it in 2-3. I definitely will not rush it but would love a shorter time table.. But all in all I'm glad there were no complications and everything feels relatively fine. Onward

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    3/11/16

2nd hernia surgery in the books. Again the actual surgery took longer than expected. Did not get a lot of details on why. But I definitely feel better than I did after the last one. Already been out and about for a walk and some shopping. Hopefully recovery will be a little more swift this time. Last time I didn't lift for 7 weeks. I see a lot of people get back at it in 2-3. I definitely will not rush it but would love a shorter time table.. But all in all I'm glad there were no complications and everything feels relatively fine. Onward
    Glad you made it out of the surgery okay. Hope you're back under the bar and healthy again soon.

Thanks Adam!

3/14/16

I recently bought Mean Ol' Mister Gravity. I'm nearing the end and the material gets a little less serious at the end. I was laughing so hard last night that it was hurting my incisions and I had to put it down. Its good for information as well as comedy. Its a real treat that Rip has been doing this all these years with a sense of humor. Hilarious

starting strength coach development program
    3/21/15

Squat: 95x5x3
    Press: 75x5x3
    DL: 155x5

Beast mode!!! Feels good to be back. 11 days post-op and I've had steady improvement each day. Seems like most lifters who have a successful repair get back under the bar in about 7-14 days, so I think this was a good day to start up again. Everything felt fine. No discomfort to hernia area. A little tight around the incisions but I'm not worried about that. I'll know tomorrow for sure whether it was a good decision to train today, but I'm pretty sure it was. I feel good. Onward

Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast