starting strength gym
Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to 405

Default The Road to 405

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Decided to start a log here since I'll be competing in the USAPl Meet in Brooklyn in May and I also just recently switched up my programming a bit. This will be my first powerlifting meet.

Stats:

37yo, 6'0'', 228lbs, 26.2%BF

Best Lifts:

Squat: 350 - Fall Classic 2015
    Bench: 275x1x5 - TNG in training December 2015
    Press: 180 - Fall Classic 2015
    DL: 445 - Fall Classic 2015
    PC: 167x3x3 - November 2015

May 1st Goals:

Squat: 405
    Bench: 265 - I have literally never done a paused rep so I have no idea what to forecast here. Will practice them leading up to the meet.
    DL: 505

Program:

Monday: Squat Volume, Bench Intensity, BB Rows
    Wednesday: Press Intensity, then backoff 3x5 volume, DL, chins
    Friday: Squat Intensity, Bench volume, Chins

Notes:

So I've become a little fluffy. I still haven't settled on a strategy here, or if there needs to be one. Part of me says don't worry about it, you're competing and you need to be as big as possible to lift the most weight. Then there's the part of me that hates that putting on my shoes has become difficult and the fluffy-ness may becoming evident to others. Every time I entertain the thought of eating less I immediately get concerned I won't make the gainz I need to. My plan as of now is to cut back to 220 over the next 5-6 weeks and then bulk back up to 231 in the following 5-6 weeks leading up to the Meet. Then after the Meet I'll see what my next goal/competition will be and plan accordingly. The bottom line is really that as arbitrary as it may be, I feel I need to squat 405. It just has to happen. I hate that the Squat is my weakest lift and 405 just needs to go up. If any other SSC's or competitive lifters read this log I'm open to suggestions regarding training.

Welcome.

What are your current working weight numbers looking like, and how have they been progressing recently?

Although you didn't list specific rep schemes, your program setup looks reasonable for now. That said, for powerlifting purposes you might end up needing a 3rd bench session at some point. I've also found that as people get more experienced training the bench, TNG and paused work tends to converge a bit (e.g. the difference between my 1RMs paused and TNG is only like 3-4%), so don't sweat the paused bench goal. I'd also consider exchanging your Monday BB rows with Friday's chins, so you don't have as much residual back fatigue going into DL day on Wednesday.

And although I understand your dilemma, I'm not sure cutting 8 lbs then gaining 11 lbs in 10 weeks is going to be productive (or worth the effort), particularly as you approach a meet with a 2-hour weigh in and some specific performance goals. Since you're still well within the 231 weight class, you might be better served to just hold steady where you are for now so you don't have to stress about the weigh in, nail your first 405 squat, then go into something of an "off-season" period starting with some higher volume training, smart conditioning work, and attention to the macros to facilitate shedding some BF. Just my $0.02.

Not a competitive lifter or SSC, but we're pretty much exactly the same height and weight and our lifts are pretty similar. Will follow. Also chasing 405 squat and hope to hit it on my first intermediate cycle.

Thank for weighing in Austin.

Current working weights:

Squat Volume: 275x5x5, Squat Intensity: 330x5 (later today)
    Bench Volume: 235x5x5, Bench Intensity: 265x2x3
    Press Volume: 155x5x5, Press Intensity: 175x3x2
    DL: 405x5

I just recently got working weights back up around where they were before the holidays. I only switched to the 3 day modified TM 2 weeks ago (I had been on 4 day and was not recovering - back to back days just don't seem to work well anymore). Anyway I'll know more how things are progressing in a few weeks.

I like the BB row suggestion as well as the bodyweight insight. Both make sense. Thanks man!

Good to hear Anthony. Seems like you are managing programming pretty well with being busy. Will check in on your log as well.

i would suggest doing Texas method for powerlifting as written, or something close to it. I wouldn't mess with your weight. Just make sure you're getting enough protien and let the rest fall into place.

I like:
    Monday: squat volume, bench volume, row or chin
    Wednesday: light squat, press 3x5, maybe chins
    Friday: squat and bench, 5 singles (pause bench, 3ct). Deadlift 1-3 heavy single.

The mock meet really gets you in meet shape, you are totally ready to compete. If volume day beats you up too much you can drop the load down to 70% and see good results IMO. It's more important to keep the volume high so don't drop sets. Also, if you want to add high rep close grips on intensity day instead of just 5x5 bench, it will probably work better. Something like 3x5 bench and 2x10 cgbp, even more if you want. You could add a backoff set on bench during intensity day too. The last full week of training I'd hit openers plus a little more on intensity day. You shouldn't need much taper. Meet week I'd do Monday's workout with just one top set on squats and drop the high rep cgbp. Wednesday I would bench instead of press and compete on the weekend.

Good luck, I'll be checking in.

1/29/15

Squat ID: 335x5, 275x7

335x5 - YouTube

Press VD: 150x5x5
    BB Row: 205x6,6,6,7

Squats were hard. And probably too vertical. Shitty camera angle but wanted to see what my knees were doing. Will have better angle next week.
    My original plan was to alternate pressing and benching each week but since the ratio is still almost 1:1 I'm going to bench Mon/Fri every week and press every wednesday from now on. either way presses felt fast so will add weight next week to both intensity and volume.
    Also switching BB Row assistance to Fridays and chins to mon/wed - thanks Austin.

I also may abandon everything I previously said about bodyfat. All my lifts feel good right now and I kind of just want to push it. If I get a little fat I get a little fat. Can worry about it after the Meet. An extra 10lbs probably gets me 405 easy. Just gonna try not to worry about it and put in the work

Thanks Tom. I'm definitely going to browse through Practical Programming and compare different programs. I'm going to stick with this system for now. Mainly I just don't like a lot of volume or a lot of intensity in one day, the way standard TM is set up. I just get demoralized after a while. Also I don't consider myself a powerlifter just yet. I want to get stronger and a Meet is the best way for me to test that. I'll be checking in on your log too - you're strong man!

Just dropping in so I have your log marked. Best of luck with the meet prep!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Just dropping in so I have your log marked. Best of luck with the meet prep!
    Me too. What session do you lift in? Maybe I'll see you there!

Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast