starting strength gym
Page 46 of 65 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Herbison's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Oh hey, I showed up in the weekly report. Neat. It's from a thread that's over three years old, but I still stand by it, which is nice.
    Sean Herbison
    In my experience, it's an overall lack of strength that is the root cause of most injuries, especially as people age. Unless you're isolating some body parts and ignoring others, say, doing leg extensions as your only leg exercise, it's not likely to be a real issue.

FFS this should be framed over every gym....and employee health office

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    FFS this should be framed over every gym....and employee health office
    You flatter me.

Wednesday, 27 September

Beltless Deadlift: 495x2x5@8ish, 10 if some thoracic rounding counts as technical failure
    Sumo Deadlift: 345x6x5@6-7
    Incline Press: 185x5x3@7, 7.5, 8
    Chinup: BW+45, 14 total reps
    Ab Wheel: 5x3

Much better than last week. My belt was throwing me off on deadlifts, so I threw it off too.

Thursday, 28 September

Press: 140x6x5@7.5
    Push Press: 190x3x4@7

Figured out push press a little better this time. Starting to get it back.

My parents are here now, and we're going to be doing some traveling, so training will be sketchy for a while. Worth it.

Saturday, 1 October
    Light squats and a bunch of stretching. We drove to Munich for Octoberfest, and spending 10 or so hours in the car left me feeling pretty stiff.

Wednesday, 4 October
    PT Test at 1300. Then later, a bunch of things loosely bunched together: SGDLs, power snatches, presses, etc. Also did a few heavier push presses that finally felt decent.

Friday, 6 October
    Squat: 455x1, 375x5x3
    Press: 185x1, 155x5x3
    Chinup: BWx11, 8, 7

As I mentioned before, with traveling and whatnot, my schedule is kind of sporadic. So I'm going to a very simple plan for the meantime. Squats and press one workout, deadlifts and bench the other, with chinups after the main work.

Squats were odd. 455 felt fine, and I could done at least 3, but pretty much all my lighter squats at 375 sucked. Presses were okay, and chins are getting back up there. I'm not really tracking my food intake, since I'd be guessing so much anyway right now, but I'm staying right around 245 so far.

Monday, 9 October

Deadlift: 455x1, 405x5x2
    Bench Press: 275x5x3
    Chinup: BWx12, 9, 8

Forgot I intended to do a top single on bench.

This will probably be the last time I lift for a week. As sad as that makes me, and as little as I want to spend many hours in a car, this should be fun. Heading around Europe and seeing a bunch of stuff with my parents.

I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I'm back.
    Better get back to work then.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Better get back to work then.
    Right you are, Karl.

Tuesday, 17 October

Squat: 455x1, 375x5x3
    Press: 185x1, 155x5x3
    Chinup: BWx10, 8, 7

It's been eleven days since I squatted, and eight since I lifted, with a whole lot of time in the car in the meantime, so today could have been worse. My top single for squat felt pretty good, and my lighter volume felt like garbage. So just like last time, but even more so.

I like lifting with my Dad, but coaching at the same time as lifting does tend to take a lot more time. Three hours for the eleven sets above.

I'm still lifting, but I'm not going to bother writing down the specifics, both because it's not much to see and because it would make me sad. Let's just say that I'm on the under-recovery side of things.

Almost back to normal, for better or worse. I've had my parents visiting me here in Germany for the past six weeks, and it's been awesome. Did a lot of traveling, including Rome, which, for the record, has the worst drivers I've ever seen. Nowhere else is even close. It makes driving in New Orleans or Chicago look like a relaxing Sunday stroll. Anyway... also got up to Wittenberg and saw the Castle Church on the 500th anniversary of Luther nailing the 95 theses to the door. That was cool.

That was the good part. Unfortunately, traveling and spending hours and hours in the car is not conducive to strength training. Not that it wasn't worth it, but I've got a long climb ahead of me to get back to where I should be. Considering how de-trained I am at the moment, a simple LP is the way to go to start. I squatted 275 and 295x5x3 Sunday and today, respectively, and I'll be squatting 315 on Thursday. My other numbers will be similarly (too) low, but they'll get back up to being heavy soon enough.

I haven't decided what I'll do immediately following the end of the LP, maybe try The Bridge, but after a brief re-introduction to intermediate training, I'm going to hire a coach again and take my programming out of my own hands. If any of you follow Brandon Campbell Diamond, he's had several videos recently that echo my thoughts pretty well, particularly Getting In My Own Way. If any of you guys have thoughts on specific coaches, feel free to put them here, or PM me if you'd rather not put the feedback up publicly.

I've worked with Jordan, and that was a good experience, despite me not being a very good coachee (not updating the spreadsheet/sending videos/etc), but I'd like to work with another coach this time and get their thoughts. I'm leaning towards Izzy, as I seem to agree with him on the majority of topics, but we've got enough differences that it wouldn't be an echo chamber. The RTS folks would probably be another good route to take, but I'd welcome any thoughts on them or others.

Also, I've had lots more thoughts on pain treatment/management/etc. and the mental side of it. I may post some later, but in the meantime, here's a good article Austin shared on Facebook recently: The Iatrogenic Potential of the Physician’s Word. Iatrogenic just refers to problems that are caused by medical treatment, and this article focuses on the impact of information. I particularly found this bit interesting:
    But balancing the requirement for full and complete disclosure with the iatrogenic potential of some information is problematic.
    Anyway, I've been pretty checked out for the last two months, both on the forums and elsewhere. So if you've sent me an email or anything else recently, I very well may not have read it. But worry not, I'll be rectifying that situation over the next week or so.

CATS.

starting strength coach development program
    Welcome back! Nice to hear you had a good time with the folks. You've got some huge gains coming in the next weeks. I'll be interested to see where you end up with your coaching. Looks like you want RPE-based programming.

Page 46 of 65 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast