Thread: Chasing Curls and Gainzzz

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5/23/16,

Bench Press- 215lbs 3x3
    LTE's- EZ+75lbs 3x9
    Chin Ups- 10, 10, 10, 9

Benching was easier than last week and my spine didn't twist so that was nice. Getting a lift-off definitely makes it easier but I don't want to be dependent on others. LTE's were surprisingly hard, and my triceps are still rekt the next day. Chin ups are harder after bench/triceps shit than they are after deadlifts.

About a month post meet and every lift except for squats is doing well in PR territory so this cycle of training should go better than last. Bodyweight was down for a few weeks and is now up very slightly to 208.

5/25/16, Tfw proper low bar rips my shorts.

Squats- 270lbs 5x5
    Press- 140lbs 4x5, 4+1
    SGDL- 345lbs x5 hook/straps
    Chin Ups- 55lbs x5, 3 Gym bags on my back x5

Squats started off shitty and had a 15 minute interruption between sets 2 and 3, but the final sets felt good and on snapchat looked way better than a few weeks ago. I think it helped that I watched the Art of Manliness video where Rip was coaching in real time. Press was hard and some of them were forward, but keeping the bar back drastically reduced rpe. Took a little too long before the last rep and lost it, then made it up after a short rest. SGDL's feel the same every set after 225. That two inches of grip really increases the suffering.

For chin ups, another trainer and I were there with two of our friends who are members after closing. The front desk guy came upstairs after around 15 minutes and was pretty pissed off. So we left and one of the guys made us walk around until he found scaffolding he could chin up on and we tried to use our bags to equal enough weight, but it wasn't really close.

While annoying, it's also kind of gratifying every time I shred my underwear.

Just started to follow your log.
    Good stuff you're doing

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    While annoying, it's also kind of gratifying every time I shred my underwear.
    Indeed, the first time it felt like I unlocked an achievement. Now I'll assume if they don't rip I was doing it wrong, before eventually converting to boxer briefs full-time.

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    Just started to follow your log.
    Good stuff you're doing
    Thanks, Lou! And same to you, your lifts are impressive.

I don't see a lot of curls in this log, especially for someone who references curls in both log title and forum handle. I feel cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I don't see a lot of curls in this log, especially for someone who references curls in both log title and forum handle. I feel cheated.
    I felt pretty curl-shamed after this and had truly planned on doing them yesterday, but I woke up late and ran out of time at the gym before I was supposed to go see X-Men. At first it seemed like too many curls in the log, now I am a small-arm slacker ):

5/27/16,

Fronties- 215lbs 3x3 beltless
    Bench Press- 200lbs 3x5

Fronties were easier than last week and just 1lb over 80%. Bench Press sucked on the first set but on the last two I got final reps that would've been too slow to lock out on the past. The 3x5 day always feels like shit compared to the 3x3 day, but as long as they keep going up.

5/29/16, sort of

Done after a 10 hour shift of standing around.

Squat- 300lbs x5, 1
    Press- 155x1+F, F; 145lbs 2x3, 150lbs x2+F
    Deadlifts- 450lbs x5, 405lbs x5
    Butterfly Pull Ups- 3x10/Chin Up- x11

Squats felt okay for the first 3 reps then shitty. Upper back was starting to cave. So I did a single to make sure I was staying in my hips. Press was forward at 155 and just hard at the lighter weights. Deadlifts were whatever; UFC has mostly bumpers by the racks/platforms so 450 filled the bar and I had to push the weights back on twice during the set.

I lost the ability to string together butterfly pull ups which is annoying. Could also be because the bar isn't high enough to hang from without straddling. Kept swinging too far forward and ruining my timing, but I really want to practice these more.

6/2/16, Tfw shit the bed with presses.

Squats- 275lbs 5x5
    Press- 140lbs x4+F, 4, 4, 3, 3
    SGDL- 350lbs x5 hook
    Chin Ups- +55lbs 3x5

Squats were good until the last set which was pretty mediocre, but overall the rpe was reasonable. Press was weirdly hard and I missed the last rep of set 1 because my feet were staggered. Subsequent sets were symmetrical but I wasn't getting a good bounce off my hips and had trouble locking out. Maybe the bar was forward again? SGDL's felt better than last week eve without straps. Chin ups were pretty ez and its the first week in a while I got to do all 3 sets in time.

Not sure how to approach presses re: this weekly inconsistency, perhaps I'll check PPST or add more ice cream to my shakes.

starting strength coach development program
    6/3/16, Still a lack of curls ITT

Fronties- 220lbs 3x3 beltless
    Bench Press- 202.5 3x5
    Power Clean- 205lbs x3, 215lbs 3x3, 205lbs x4

Front squats were easier than the previous two weeks so looks like they are cumming back. Bench was pretty easy for the first two sets, but set 3 finished with some pretty bad twisting at lockout because one shoulder was looser than the other. Power cleans started off good, but definitely felt some technique degradation from missing them last week. Will repeat 215 for all sets across and refocus on jumping later/keeping heels down as long as possible. I've been somewhat self conscious of my log of lies ever since Wolf pointed out the curl discrepancy.

A friend and coworker at the gym has some time before her next NPC Bikini show, and wants to run SS all the way through. So I am coaching her through that and may post her numbers here. She's been lifting for a couple of years and 3x5 was the basis of her strength work, but this is the first time running a strength dedicated program and learning low bar. Starting lifts were: Squat 160 3x5 (previous high bar PR is 185 3x5), Press 50 3x5, Power Clean 95 2x3, 90 3x3 (since they were turning into full cleans.)

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast