Page 116 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1319

Thread: Manveer Gets Competitive

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    It's like a dosing response also?
    Yep. Tendinopathy does not tend to improve with rest -- tendons need some stress in order to recover its tolerance for loading, but not too little (hence why my quad tendinopathy did not improve when I was doing full depth tempo squats with 45-85 lbs) and not too much (hence why I think "pin firing" is dumb). It is an annoyingly slow process, and this must also be taken into account when evaluating a rehab method - there is no "quick fix," unlike what certain therapists might have you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    While I agree with Rip that lower intensity and higher volume works, I am a bit suspect of the Starr protocol being a complete panacea since frequency is so damn high and the progressing loading is rapid. With my recent ailments, I've found light work at higher volume seems to work in blocks and then going back to normal training. I'm old and weak though.
    I'm not aware of anyone who has suggested this. While I have no personal experience with that method, I've always seen Rip/coaches make the point that it is intended for use in the setting of muscle tears. It is not an appropriate way to rehab chronic tendon issues.

All this sounds wildly complicated. No wonder people used to plant frogs at trees with a plant on a full moon but only if it didn't rain.

Remember being a teenager and having no idea what overuse injuries were ? "What's an injury ?"

Thanks for the knowledge bombs, Austin. I'll have to read through it again to figure out how I can make changes to my training. I guess I'm confused on how using a slingshot would be better for intensity work, since for part of the force curve the pec would be loaded heavier than a raw bench. Also, how do you know the "right" intensity to load the tendon without aggravating it other than trial and error?

BW (7/8 morning): 242.8#
    BW (7/9 morning): 242.2#

Sleep (7/7 evening): ~7 hrs
    Sleep (7/8 evening): ~8 hrs

5 weeks, 6 days out.

TRAC: Add 1 set. Only listened for squats.

2017-07-09 - C3W16D1
    Squat w/ belt
    560x1 @8
    515x3 @10, got loose on third rep, back rounding
    475x3 @8
    475x3 @8.5
    475x3 @8.5
    445x3 @7.5
    Top single moved well. Rep work wasn't great. Overall I just need to stay tighter and really keep my chest up/elbows down. Even my top single could've been a bit better in that respect. e1RM over 600 for the first time, I think. Probably the strongest my squat has ever been.

Video: Instagram

Comp Raw Bench
    345x1 @8
    360x1 @9, 5# lifetime PR for any type of raw bench
    335x1 @8
    335x1 @9
    315x1 @8
    315x1 @8
    315x1 @8.5
    315x1 @8
    315x1 @9
    295x1 @8
    295x1 @8
    Felt really good. 360 didn't feel that heavy in my hands.

Press v1
    95x8 @6
    95x8 @6
    95x8 @6.5
    95x8 @6.5
    95x8 @7.5
    95x8 @7.5
    Just got it done quickly with 1 min rests, didn't really follow the program.
    Last edited by manveer; 07-09-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Thanks for the knowledge bombs, Austin. I'll have to read through it again to figure out how I can make changes to my training. I guess I'm confused on how using a slingshot would be better for intensity work, since for part of the force curve the pec would be loaded heavier than a raw bench. Also, how do you know the "right" intensity to load the tendon without aggravating it other than trial and error?
    I wasn't using the Slingshot for overload, I was using it with the same weights that I was handling raw, just to get a little more stress using a specific movement, keep up technical practice, and avoid detraining the triceps while trying to take it easier on the pec.

Also, how do you know the "right" intensity to load the tendon without aggravating it other than trial and error?
    The $1,000,000 question. We don't have a good way of knowing this. This is why we just LP. By the time you get up to "too much", you've already healed.

Awesome bench, manveer! And awesome squat!

360x1 @9, 5# lifetime PR for any type of raw bench
    nice work manveer, youre a strong bull

Fantastic Lifting recently - you've put the work in and very much deserve it!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    I wasn't using the Slingshot for overload, I was using it with the same weights that I was handling raw, just to get a little more stress using a specific movement, keep up technical practice, and avoid detraining the triceps while trying to take it easier on the pec.
    OK, that makes sense. I did consider that that's what you meant, although I forgot to mention it in my reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    The $1,000,000 question. We don't have a good way of knowing this. This is why we just LP. By the time you get up to "too much", you've already healed.
    I LPed up to about my best sets of 5s across (I think 305x5x5 TnG was my best and I stopped at 295x5x3 paused). But then, that would mean you know that the "too much" range is x5@9-10. Why not LP with triples or something? Just playing devil's advocate.

It seems like form decay could have a significant impact on the actual stress that the pec tendon sees. If you flare your elbow, for instance, the pec has to pull from a position of significantly worse leverage, and thus pull significantly harder (edit: maybe thinking about this backwards...but it definitely feels worse for my pec). So, all of the care that's put in to appropriate loading could be undone by poor form.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Awesome bench, manveer! And awesome squat!
    Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    nice work manveer, youre a strong bull
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Fantastic Lifting recently - you've put the work in and very much deserve it!
    Thanks, guys. Sometimes things are up, sometimes they're down. Trying not to get too attached to the highs or the lows, but it feels pretty good when things start coming together.
    Last edited by manveer; 07-10-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks, guys. Sometimes things are up, sometimes they're down. Trying not to get too attached to the highs or the lows, but it feels pretty good when things start coming together.
    An important, and difficult lesson.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    An important, and difficult lesson.
    Yup.

BW (7/10 morning): 240.4#

Sleep (7/9 evening): ~6.5h, not great quality

Tired going into this. Garage so fucking hot.

2017-07-10 - C3W16D2
    Deadlift w/ belt
    535x1 @8.5
    480x3 @9
    455x3 @8
    455x3 @8.5
    455x3 @9
    Just fatigued from yesterday. Low back smoked. Keeping rest to 5ish mins between sets was the biggest victory here.

Pin Press (Chest Level)
    315x1 @7.5
    285x4 @8.5
    270x4 @7.5
    270x4 @7.5
    Had slight pain on a warmup, but otherwise OK.

Squat (no belt)
    325x5 @6.5
    335x5 @7
    350x5 @8
    350x5 @8.5
    350x5 @8.5
    350x5 @8.5
    Man, this slot always sucks. I'm going to start doing pilates instead of this lifting shit.